News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any of the new stuff out there temp you to sell your Charger and go new?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 10, 2010, 07:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I was pulling out of a lot the other day when a new Camaro in red with white stripes pulled in.  I was thinking to myself if that car was a conv and had hideaway lamps like the old 69 Camaro SS/RS cars, would I sell my Charger and order my first new car ever?
I know the conv is coming out soon, if they did the hideways like in 69 boy would I want one.  Thing is I would have to sell the Charger to do it as I can't afford both, not something I'm sure I could do? Nothing wrong with new Muscle.
Any new cars out there have you thinking?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

A383Wing

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 10, 2010, 08:25:30 PM
2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition...black & red....yummy :drool5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3sRUKCmG-8
I can understand why, would you really consider it?  I get strong feelings to own new Muscle.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Nacho-RT74

you mean selling the Charger and using about the same money you get for it get a new car ?... 2nd gens will have the chance, but I don't think 1st and 3rd gens
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

If there was a single new car I liked better than the classic Chargers I wouldn't be here wasting time every day.  There isn't even anything that tempts me.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Back N Black

For me no, i would never consider selling the charger for a new muscle car. Some of the new cars don't get a second look , but the charger always draws  lots of attention.

bull

No, nothing. Even if there were something out there that did tempt me I really don't like the obsession car companies have with gadgets these days. New cars have too much stuff to go wrong, they're too difficult and costly to fix and they've created too much distance between the driver and the driving experience. My next car will probably be something like a 1973 Coronet.

Belgium R/T -68

If Dodge would make a convertible out of the new Challenger I would consider one if I lived back in my motherland Sweden.
Here in Belgium the registration and roadtaxes would kill any possibility for a normal guy to own a car with a bigger engine then 2.5L.
A new musclecar can never trade the part of the hobby I like the most, the restoration, searching for parts and discussing problems/solutions
with fellow Moparlovers but gives on the other hand the possibility to take the car for longer trips like vacation, meetings abroad etc which I
don't dare to do with my "old" muscles because I simply don't have the selfconfidence that my cars would make it all the way.
Would I sell my Charger? No, having built it on my own makes it a part of my life.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

hemi68charger

Give up the thing just to the left of this? No way unless it's got another big wing...............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

71ChallengeHer

41husk

I would with out a doubt trade straight up my 3rd gen for a new challenger R/T or SRT8.  No way on the Daytona :rotz:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Manfred318

I seriously doubt it, but I might have to think about it for a new SRT Challenger. Assuming I could option the Challenger the way I wanted it anyways.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Ponch ®

Nope... esp if I had a 2nd gen or something like that.

The old cars have a certain character and chutzpah that you just can't get in a new car. ANYONE w enough cash can go buy a new Camaro, or Challenger, or CTS-V...but being in a nice classic car shows a little more sophistication. Let's not even get on how the new cars will lose their value in a couple of years.

Chris, seriously...your car for a Mustang w/ a body kit and vinyl decals? Really?

EDIT: On second thought...maybe I would consider it, but it'd have to be something exotic or exotic-ish...like a Viper or a Ferrari/Lambo type deal.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Just 6T9 CHGR

maybe i didn't read the title correctly....Id like to have my cake & eat it too
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

kab69440

If I was offered a Fuschia, stripe-delete, 6speed SRT, it would likely be the most difficult 'No thanks.' I ever had to choke on.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

NHCharger

Quote from: Back N Black on October 10, 2010, 10:03:54 PM
For me no, i would never consider selling the charger for a new muscle car. Some of the new cars don't get a second look , but the charger always draws  lots of attention.

:iagree: :iagree:

Besides our Chargers being the best looking car ever made, another thing I like about them is the lack of handling, lack of braking, lack of safety equipment, lack of the every day amenities in most cars the we take for granted. You actually have to know how to drive a car when you get behind the wheel of a two door charger.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NHCharger on October 11, 2010, 05:48:23 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on October 10, 2010, 10:03:54 PM
For me no, i would never consider selling the charger for a new muscle car. Some of the new cars don't get a second look , but the charger always draws lots of attention.

:iagree: :iagree:

Besides our Chargers being the best looking car ever made, another thing I like about them is the lack of handling, lack of braking, lack of safety equipment, lack of the every day amenities in most cars the we take for granted. You actually have to know how to drive a car when you get behind the wheel of a two door charger.
I love the firm tight feel of the steering wheel.  :icon_smile_wink:
Also my main point was would you give up your Charger to help fund a new Muscle car. Your car could be worth 10,000.00 or 50,000.00, point was if you had to have a new Mustang ,Camaro or Challenger to help fund the new car and the only way it could happen was to finally say good bye to your classic, would you do it?

1969chargerrtse

rp23g7

Working in the car world.  I would never buy a new car ever again, or a newer used car.  Just too expensive, they dont hold their value, too much stuff to go wrong, too expensive to insure, they dont have any character or charisma to them, and the number one thing, too expensive to fix.

Mine, if it quits, i know its only one of three things possibly, and its easy to figure out.  New ones, $90 diagnostic at least, if you dont have a scanner, and then you get to buy parts for whatever is wrong.  Been on the mechanical end of that too, feeling sorry for the customer for buying the heap that is costing them a arm and a leg to fix. 

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 11, 2010, 05:58:50 PM
Also my main point was would you give up your Charger to help fund a new Muscle car. Your car could be worth 10,000.00 or 50,000.00, point was if you had to have a new Mustang ,Camaro or Challenger to help fund the new car and the only way it could happen was to finally say good bye to your classic, would you do it?

Well, I would not part with my triple black '68 Charger R/T... but most others would be fair game.  For those with more than one old Charger/Mopar, the question is whether they would sell all of their classic Mopars to buy a new musclecar...  In my case, the answer is NO!  That said, there could easily be cases where the trade-out made sense, like an older enthusiast having to downsize to a single car.  A new musclecar could be both a hobby car  and basic transportation, without extensive maintenance...

But, I like Chris's idea better...
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 11, 2010, 04:16:19 PM
maybe i didn't read the title correctly....Id like to have my cake & eat it too

I was fortunate enough to buy a 2009 Challenger SRT8 almost two years ago, and have been extremely happy with it!  I will be downsizing during my upcoming retirement, and several of my hobby cars will probably be sold to fund another new musclecar.  Depending on how my finances go, the really hard decisions may have to be made later, but I hope "Bullitt" never has to go...

Here is my SRT "Scarlett", and a new convertible that I would love to have, but would never pay the $100K+ price tag...
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,