News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To Rechrome or not to Rechrome?

Started by sixpack_sid, August 06, 2011, 02:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a straight front bumper from my 68 Charger but the chrome is REALLY Worn! I live in PA. Is it cheaper to rechrome my old one or buy a new one?
:Twocents:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

here's a pic.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

BulletMan

If the bumper fits well, I would consider re-chroming. My 2 cents.

jaak

Rechroming the original would be nicer, but a repo will be cheaper. I got mine for 315 from 521restorations, and a local chrome shop wanted 475 to rechrome my original bumper, and I can't exactly remember something like 50-60 each for the bumper guards.

Jason

ODZKing

Well, we have a place here that runs a winter special.  I got both my 73 Charger bumpers done for $304 each.  $52 each for the guards.
Mom & Pop shop, been doing bumpers and chrome for 40 years.  Heck they just started taking credit cards, their son talked them into it.  They did my 67 bumpers also.
Anyway, my point ... rechrome unless they're rotted.  You never know what you're going to get if you buy someone elses cores.  My  :Twocents:

Musicman

Good to know Bob, since one or both of mine are probably going to be redone this winter  :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

when I can to restore an original part, I RESTORE THE ORIGINAL PART
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the replies! That being said, anyone know of a good place to go and get my bumper rechromed? I live in PA. Also, how much does it cost? I've heard it's expensive.

ODZKing

I Do know Paul's is expensive.  They do good work but it will cost ya!
There must be a couple places around you.  If not here is Sandys #.  See what it will cost to ship????
Sandy's Bumper
120 Wall Street
Syracuse, NY 13204-2182
(315) 472-8149
If you call, ask for Tony.

bill440rt

If you're on a budget, building a decent show/cruise car and can put up with less than par chrome, the repros are a decent bang for your buck & will be cheaper on average vs rechroming your original. I think I paid about $250 per bumper. They're not bad, but I'm not 100% thrilled. Once day I may rechrome them so they are straighter.

If you want top-notch chrome, either Martin's Chrome in Philly or Paul's Chrome. You WILL pay thru the nose, but the chrome work is show quality.

All-Bright here in Newark is OK, & Frankford Plating in PA is also good.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixpack_sid

I've heard of Pauls and their prices. I'm just looking for a decent bumper, nothing show quality, so I think I'll take bill440rt's advice and look for a repro bumper. Thanks for the advice!

dodgechar

dont know how bad off,  but sometimes a  000 steel wool and elbow grease  like crazy,  cleans up chrome well.  dont use anything less than 00.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: sixpack_sid on August 09, 2011, 05:55:26 AM
Thanks for the replies! That being said, anyone know of a good place to go and get my bumper rechromed? I live in PA. Also, how much does it cost? I've heard it's expensive.

I bet You'll get a lighter car now LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1BAD68

If you have more time than money like me, you could do what I'm doing.
My bumpers are pretty bad, dull, rusty, pitted but straight.
Started with 220 grit sand paper followed by 380. Then wet sanded with 600 grit.
I still need to go 1500 then 2000 grit and then my bumpers should be really nice.
These pictures are after a quick buff with jewelers rouge after the 600 grit.

1BAD68

There are some very small dings here and there but they will look like nice survivors.
My bumpers were worse than the one in your picture, in fact I painted them silver awhile ago thats how bad they looked.

sixpack_sid

My bumper looks "worn" away in spots where water would run down off the side of the fender over time. It looks like the chrome is gone. Can steel wool or sanding bring back the shine? Or does it need to be rechromed? I don't think there is much pitting and the bumper is straight. I'm mainly concerned about these "water spots" on the bumper. You can see it in the pic at the top of the page if you look at the left side.

Thanks for the replies!

1BAD68

Mine was just like that right below where the fender and hood meet on both sides.
I basically ended up sanding the chrome off so what you see in my pictures is just polished steel.
It takes a bit of work but its not hard to do and to me it looks "right" because my car isn't a restoration.