News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would cause....

Started by paul1966, March 01, 2006, 01:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul1966

What would cause my car to act as though it wants to die when I make a stop.  My  engine seems like it wants to die when I stop.  It is not always a sudden stop, here recently every stop I make it acts like that.  I have a new fuel pump, and new fuel filter, and a new carb.  Could it be crud in the tank?

Thanks much,
    Paul

NYCMille

Do you have electronic ignition?

paul1966

No, I have not got there yet.  Still have the old points.  You think they need to be re-gaped?

blackcharger

Quote from: paul1966 on March 01, 2006, 01:49:01 PM
No, I have not got there yet.  Still have the old points.  You think they need to be re-gaped?

wouldn't hurt to check the points. Is the fuel level in your carb correct, Idle speed?

Dave

BigBlockSam

Quotefuel level in your carb   
:yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

deputycrawford

Im thinking fuel level in carb too. Mine does it on panic stops. But then I have a large bowled Demon carb on a car I drag alot. You might be uncovering your jets when you stop the car. Its  just a thought.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Nacho-RT74

fuel level...---floaters---
leak on bowls...
rich mixture...
delayed timming...

I was dealing with that. now I have rarelly a backfire

It could be also a higher pressure on gas pump... Gas pumps have a small hole at a side of body what is to ventilation. If is dirty or clogged will get more pressure that can be overflow the carb.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BigBlockSam

why would rich mixture cause that?
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

paul1966

I will check the fuel level in the carb.  Thanks much.

Paul

4402tuff4u

I would of guessed it has something to do with vacuum. That shows you how much I know about engine work. Do you have power brakes?  Welcome aboard.  :wave: You have pictures of your ride? :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

paul1966

Now power brakes, I do have.  But I still have the drums all around also.

Paul

Chryco Psycho

could be a leak in the booster or a drop in vacuum as the brakes are applied

Steve P.

That's what I was thinking.. Do you hear a sucking sound when you are just sitting in your driveway running with your foot on the brake peddle??  Is there any change in the RPM when you step on the brake at idle?? If so, have a buddy pinch your vac. hose with some long needle nosed pliers and make the same test again.

My daughters 84' Pontiac has a leaky power brake booster. It is only noticeable when it's cold. BUT WHEN IT"S COLD,,,, The seal leaks bad enough to stall her out.. 

And before anyone gives me grief,, It's not mine nor is it on the road!!!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

paul1966

Changed the pionts, and the problem is fixed?  But Why?  I was thinking that like you guys said that it was the float in the carb, but I did not mess with that.  Just changed the points and everything was good?
I would like to know why if anyone knows.
Thanks again for all the help,

Paul

Chryco Psycho

are the bushings worn in the dist ?
the shaft could be sitting at one side at idle & with RPM it may straighten up & run on center

paul1966

No, it is a new distributor, but it did not fix the problem.  I have not messed with the float in the carb, but I am thinking it is a vacum leak somewhere.  When one purchases a new carb, do you usually have to adjust the float? 

Thanks Much,
Paul