News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Guy in San Antonio

Started by Project68, October 10, 2014, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project68

Hello Everyone,

My name is John and I inherited my uncles 1968 Charger.  Story goes....he bought it when he was a senior in high school in 1977.  He was racing some guy and the engine started to overheat, so he pulled into a gas station to add water but the engine died and it would not start.  So, he pulled the engine out (a 383) and got the motor rebuilt but never got around to putting the car back together.  It has been sitting at my grandfathers property in a barn for over 30 years.  He told me I could have it, so I flew to CA and rented a U-haul trailer and brought it to TX.  The car did not come with any keys, so I had to have a locksmith make me a set.  Got the trunk open and found some parts I will need later on.  Surprisingly, I found the build sheet in the back seat.

JB400

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

A true barn find.  What color was this car originally?

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

westcoastdodge

Welcome,more pics pleeeeeeeeease :notworthy:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

moparnation74

John,

Congrats, on your new addition!  Fellow Texan here from Dallas.

More pictures will be great.  Along with any of this cars options you're aware of.

Welcome to the forum.

polywideblock

welcome  to the site   :cheers:    

wow , your one very lucky guy   :yesnod:

like others have said more pics please     :popcrn:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

TPR

Awesome.
Looks in decent shape.
Start a progress thread and we'll get the  :popcrn: out.
Welcome aboard.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

mightywing7

Great score!   :2thumbs:
Like everyone stated, please post some more pics!  We would all love to know the details of the car (ie. Drivetrain combo, options, etc.).   :popcrn:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

SovereignZuul

Cool story John, a free Charger?  Sweet deal, hah.  That car is even dirtier than mine!

Best wish of luck with it, and stick around these forums.  This is a very helpful community.  :)

P.S. More pics would be a joy!  Start a thread when you're ready to log your work on it.
1970 Dodge Charger - 1969 Dodge Dart - 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - 1997 Dodge Neon (Sold for Charger Parts)

Baldwinvette77

THATS AWESOME... i cant really say more than that  :cheers:  :popcrn:

Godsmack635

What a score!!  A free Charger and it really is a "barn find".   Take lots of pics during the restoration you could literally write a book with this one.  Welcome to the site.

Project68

Thanks everyone.   I will start a progress thread when I start working on it.  As far as the options,  would posting the build sheet work?.  I am learning about this car as I go along,  so you all could help me more than I can help out by deciphering the build sheet or fender tag. I know it is automatic with a 383 and came with air conditioning.   It was originally white and had a black vinyl top.

charge69

Welcome here and congratulations on something that most people only dream about! Looks to have been painted blue sometime in the past. If you can post a larger picture of the build sheet, there are numerous people here that could tell you everything you need to know about the Charger!

Congrats on your great luck and stay here a while.  By the way, I live in a northern suburb of Houston and have a daughter and her family  that lives in NW San Antonio.

69wannabe

Nice dude!!!!! Congrats on the new charger. That's gonna be a fun project!!!  :yesnod:

ws23rt

:cheers:---You have a great start of a project and the history it has with your family is a +.

I've been lurking around this site for a couple of years as well as other sites but my opinion is you will find better and faster help from these folks (much less clutter) and have fun while you are at it. :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

WOW!  :o  

The first thing I have to say is welcome and thanks for posting about your awesome find.  :cheers:

The second thing is...we love to see pics around here....so keep 'em coming!  :yesnod:  

Project68

Quote from: charge69 on October 10, 2014, 07:14:15 PM
Welcome here and congratulations on something that most people only dream about! Looks to have been painted blue sometime in the past. If you can post a larger picture of the build sheet, there are numerous people here that could tell you everything you need to know about the Charger!

Congrats on your great luck and stay here a while.  By the way, I live in a northern suburb of Houston and have a daughter and her family  that lives in NW San Antonio.

Thanks.  You are right, it was originally white and painted blue.  When my uncle bought it, it was already painted blue.  It would be great to meet you if you come down this way.  I will post the build sheet and let those with the knowledge tell me what I have.

Project68

Quote from: JB400 on October 10, 2014, 04:53:34 PM
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

A true barn find.  What color was this car originally?

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

It was white.

TUFCAT

Its a shame the front end is banged up on the passenger corner.  How's the grille?  As you can imagine that stuff will be expensive.  I see the bumper's removed so I'm thinking that's probably not a good sign...  :'(   On the positive side, it looks like a 4bbl dual snorkel air cleaner in the trunk.  :scope:  It would be nice to have a factory 383 4bbl car with a/c!

Indygenerallee

:2thumbs: Nice keep the pics coming!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Project68

I am posting the build sheet I found behind the seat a few days ago along.  The transmission shifter is in a long console in the middle of bucket seats.  My Uncle said the car had a 383 engine, he thought it was a high performance 383 but I don't know how to validate the engine performance size.

Project68

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 10, 2014, 10:40:42 PM
Its a shame the front end is banged up on the passenger corner.  How's the grille?  As you can imagine that stuff will be expensive.  I see the bumper's removed so I'm thinking that's probably not a good sign...  :'(   On the positive side, it looks like a 4bbl dual snorkel air cleaner in the trunk.  :scope:  It would be nice to have a factory 383 4bbl car with a/c!

The grille is banged up bad on the passenger corner. But, my uncle got an extra grille and front bumper from a 68 that was headed to the crusher years ago, so I have them to use.  Look at the attached picture, you will see the parts on the hood.

Project68

Buried in the barn

Project68

Cleaned up a bit

VegasCharger

Awesome and welcome to DC.com :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

As other members have said in here this is an excellent community of Charger enthusiast.

I love 68's and you have a great car to start out with. Like mine a 383 4bbl Auto with A/C  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Betcha that was fun blowing all of that thick dust of the Charger  :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka:
You're fitting right in as a new member posting pics without any problems.

Good luck and good story.  

Homerr

Cool project!  

Does it have a fender tag?  (Under hood near battery.)

Please feel free to correct anything and I'll update this:

2 = broadcast sheet printed at station 2
055275 sequence number
104052491 = shipping order (104 = Thursday January 4th, 1968 production date)
XP29H8B250216  VIN
X = Charger
P = Premium
29 = 2-door sports top
H = 383ci 4bbl
8 = 1968
B = Hamtramck, MI
250216 = sequnce number

WW1 =white
UDF B = Upper Door Frame, black
TOP 306 = black vinyl top

Trim C6X = Charger, vinyl bucket seats, black
Engine 62 = 383-4
Trans 395 = Auto, Torqueflight
Axle 404 = 3.23 open
411 = Power brakes
421 = AM radio
43 = 7.75 x 14 WSW Tires
456 = power steering
480 = dual horns
483 = front and rear bumper guards
484 = clock
486 = console
487 = cigar lighter

503 = carpeting
509 = glove box lock
515 = ashtray lamp
517 = hood mounted turn signals
521 = tinted glass
536 = remote outside mirror
535 = roof drip rail mouldings
540 = belt moldings
548 = wheel lip mouldings

564 = bucket seat w/o headrest
565 = rear armrests
584 = deep dish wheel covers
591 = 46 amp alternator
627 = 59 amp battery
624 = heavy duty suspension

647 = heavy duty 14" wheels

86 =   (vacuum fitting)
5 =    (sway bar)
47 =    (radiator)
710 =    (engine)
031 =    (trans)
237 =    (axle)
32 =    (pinion)
168 =    (wheel)
79 =    (wheel covers)
62 =    (propshaft)
779 =    (torsion bar - left)
778 =     (torsion bar - right)
211 =    (rear springs - left)
211 =    (rear springs - right)
41 =    (clutch and brake bracket)

22=    (front brake)
67 =    (shocks - front)
93 =    (shocks - rear)
62 =    (battery)
36X =    (steering column)
12X =    (steering wheel & horn ring)
15 =    (stub frame)
16 =    (engine fan)
56 =    (engine fan spacer)
90 =    (radiator inlet hose)
31 =    (radiator outlet hose)
01 =    (carburetor)
45 =    (carb. choke)
42 =    (cap idle label)
5 =    (??)
3 =    (??)

p.s.  You might also find this interesting to look at the documents available for 1968. 
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml