News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMike68

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 03, 2020, 08:53:59 PM

Classic car dealers like Gateway always jack up the prices by at least 20% over Ebay/Craig prices, if not more.  It's safe to assume it by default.  Their customers are paying more for an easier buying experience.  

Many of their buyers are overseas.  Some are local but just too rich to deal with PITA sellers.  Buying from a classic car dealership means they can trust that the car exists.  It's legally for sale and they will legally get it.  It's probably not TOO MUCH worse than it was described & photographed.  This stuff is valuable to people who have more money than time.  They don't want to spend months looking and making wasted trips.  

:iagree:
Hence the middle man providing that nice up charge, :eek2:  shopping experience, financing and for those that lack the knowledge
but want a nice ride they may pay more for that safety net. 

VegasCharger

32K for this hoopty :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Just because you have a vision and dumped tons of money into that vision doesn't mean someone else will pay your high asking price.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/shingle-springs-72-dodge-charger-custom/7187108157.html

Mike DC

Actually it's $35k for that hoopty.  

It looks like a nice car after you do some cleanup work.  Rechrome the bumpers, get the tailpipes off the rear valance, toss the AutoZone braided hoses, etc.  The general fit & finish looks good.  It doesn't appear to be slammed together for the sale.  

But he's asking a 2nd-gen price for a 3rd-gen.  Not gonna happen.    

MoparMike68

Personally I don't like the look but if someone does I don't think that's a lot of money
You can spend that on paint and bodywork  :shruggy:
Putting aside that it's not your taste what would be a reasonable price considering the amount of money that's been invested?

Mike DC

QuotePersonally I don't like the look but if someone does I don't think that's a lot of money
You can spend that on paint and bodywork  shruggy
Putting aside that it's not your taste what would be a reasonable price considering the amount of money that's been invested?

:Twocents:

It doesn't matter what was invested.  It only matters what the market value is.  

You could pay a good resto shop to do $30k worth of work on a 1985 Corolla.  It still won't sell for much.  

I see 1980s Camaro/Firebird guys running into this.  Some of them have spent serious money restoring & building up those cars into pro touring machines.  But there is still a rock-hard price ceiling.  People won't pay classic musclecar money for a Hasselhoff-era car regardless of what has been done to it.    

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 12, 2020, 04:05:57 AM

Actually it's $35k for that hoopty.  

It looks like a nice car after you do some cleanup work.  Rechrome the bumpers, get the tailpipes off the rear valance, toss the AutoZone braided hoses, etc.  The general fit & finish looks good.  It doesn't appear to be slammed together for the sale.  

But he's asking a 2nd-gen price for a 3rd-gen.  Not gonna happen.    

I might add, it's just a plain 72. Not even a Rallye. :Twocents:

MoparMike68

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 12, 2020, 08:48:29 AM

QuotePersonally I don't like the look but if someone does I don't think that's a lot of money
You can spend that on paint and bodywork  shruggy

:Twocents:

It doesn't matter what was invested.  It only matters what the market value is.  

You could pay a good resto shop to do $30k worth of work on a 1985 Corolla.  It still won't sell for much.  

I see 1980s Camaro/Firebird guys running into this.  Some of them have spent serious money restoring & building up those cars into pro touring machines.  But there is still a rock-hard price ceiling.  People won't pay classic musclecar money for a Hasselhoff-era car regardless of what has been done to it.    

I watched a 2nd gen charger on a site that wouldn't sell it sat there for some time eventually it sold, the seller never dropped the price. In sales opinion doesn't matter there's a market for everything, like when you see that perfect house then there's a bidding war
the winner usually pays more then what it's worth but their happy. I've paid for things above market and you may have as well.
All I'm saying is that Chargers price doesn't seem outrageous and if that's what I was looking for I'd buy it.
Once on classic cars.com there was a over accessorized 72 roadrunner the ad said none numbers matching but who the hell
cares look at it, the price was mid 30,000 at the time maybe 10yrs ago when I checked back someone brought it.
The roadrunner went quick the charger took a little longer but they both sold at asking price.
For professional collectors it's a different story your correct Barrett Jackson is evidence of such.

Johnnys440Charger

ok, this might be the complete opposite of the garbage chargers being sold for insane amounts of money.
I think this one is more of a scam.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/dodge/charger/bradford/ontario/19_11642005_?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ts&prx=100

For sale is this super nice 1969 Charger 500 equipped with a Hemi, 4 speed manual transmission, dana rear end, slotted and drilled disc brakes, mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust with Magna flow mufflers. Paint is show quality paint, interior is also show quality. Underside of the car is as nice as the top side. This is an original 440 car, but now has the much sought after Hemi in it. Car runs and drives fantastic, tons of power with disc brakes to help get it stopped. Super nice car.

Johnnys440Charger

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Johnnys440Charger

Daytona R/T SE

A guy I work with had owned this one for several years:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1064190437400811/

He sold it a couple of months ago for $22,500 if I remember correctly.  :Twocents:

When he sold it, the quarter panel skins were expertly attached with sheet metal screws and pop rivets.  :misbehaving:

Now, the new owner wants $40,000.

70 sublime

Well I guess they did not say it had original 1/4s on it but maybe implied saying it came from New Mexico ?

1969 dodge charger. Original 383/727 have everything for it (chrome/ rubber seals reflecters) needs a few things done to be ready for paint. Runs and drives good just put a new edlebrock carb on it(still have the original) car was built in St. Louis MO so it was undecorated from the factory. Lived most of its life in new Mexico (have registrations from 80s and 90s) has new tires all the way around. NOT AN RT someone just put that on there b4 I bought the car. NO TRADES! $40,000 takes it home. I dont have to sell so no low ballers please.
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

ALBSURE1091

Homerr

Not sure if the pics are to sell the car or boost the guy's ego.

375instroke

Kern Dog

Only a stupid asshole would pay that.

Dano 1

I think my favorite part of that one is the "braced for restoration" part...the tail panel looks like it's sagging a good 8-10" from where it should be  :eek2:
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

RiverRaider

Would I be correct that it is also an air conditioned car?  A little high and money pit for sure, but that might not be that crazy of a price if is really all matching numbers and there is a fender tag and build sheet proving RT/SE and a Mr. Norms car.    It would have been better to get it before they started cutting it up.  It would likely have already been sold if was still all assembled with 5k of new parts.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Kern Dog

A car in that condition is not worth even half of that. Other cars have to be cut up or parted out to save that one and parts cost money. Labor costs money. Even doing all the work yourself, that car is a HUGE money pit for anyone stupid enough to buy it. The ONLY reason I can imagine for building this car is if it matches a car one had when they were young and they want to relive their glory days. Be ready to keep writing checks because it isn't just what you see that costs money, it is all the hidden missing pieces that are not reproduced.

Mike DC

QuoteA car in that condition is not worth even half of that. Other cars have to be cut up or parted out to save that one and parts cost money. Labor costs money. Even doing all the work yourself, that car is a HUGE money pit for anyone stupid enough to buy it. The ONLY reason I can imagine for building this car is if it matches a car one had when they were young and they want to relive their glory days. Be ready to keep writing checks because it isn't just what you see that costs money, it is all the hidden missing pieces that are not reproduced.

That car comes with a lot more parts beyond what's showing in the pic of the shell.  There are boxes of parts in the other pics.  Engine, seats, dash cluster, etc.  It looks like it was a complete car when he started tearing it down.

timmycharger

There are people who bring back 318 or 383 Chargers that are in this shape. The reality of it is that it will cost almost the same to restore this one vs one without the pedigree claimed.

The difference of course is that he is asking 20K for this hulk.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 29, 2020, 02:52:59 PM
QuoteA car in that condition is not worth even half of that. Other cars have to be cut up or parted out to save that one and parts cost money. Labor costs money. Even doing all the work yourself, that car is a HUGE money pit for anyone stupid enough to buy it. The ONLY reason I can imagine for building this car is if it matches a car one had when they were young and they want to relive their glory days. Be ready to keep writing checks because it isn't just what you see that costs money, it is all the hidden missing pieces that are not reproduced.

That car comes with a lot more parts beyond what's showing in the pic of the shell.  There are boxes of parts in the other pics.  Engine, seats, dash cluster, etc.  It looks like it was a complete car when he started tearing it down.

If the parts in the boxes look as bad as the rusted shell, they are just as worthless.