News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New "Bad" parts... Grrrrr

Started by AKcharger, April 14, 2016, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Talk about crap new parts, a friend and I both bought new repo "Voice of Roadrunner" horns for my truck and his 68 Plymouth wagon.(I think they were around $75 bucks each)
They are the purple ones with the longer mounting bracket and the sticker on them. They sound different from each other, and they both do not sound like the ones on org Roadrunners, that I have heard. His sounded the most like it should.
Three months later his sounds way better then mine, because mine quit working at all.(we even  tweeked the tone knob a bit, it still sounded off)

Are all the Roadrunner horns made/sound the same?

charger Downunder

My 92 960 Volvo has a stock horn that sounds just like the Road Runner when you give it two beeps. The NEW repro purple ones are a disappointment as i bought one and hooked it up to my 240 Volvo and its bad.
[/quote]

VegasCharger

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on May 29, 2017, 10:58:58 AM
The connector that came with mine would not fit the car, and same issue as you have now. It isn't supposed to be like that. I had to dremel the notch a bit to make it work.

I should ad that the connector that you see in my pic is my original. My repo didn't even come with a connector shell.

However shouldn't I be able the turn the switch by hand w/o using the turn signal lever? Even if I do dremel out the notches for my OEM turn signal switch to engage the problem still may exist.

Thanks for the reply.  :cheers:

Scaregrabber

Why on earth do people think Mercedes are good cars? My wife likes them so we have had two of them, both have been total pieces of crap. Her Neon was more reliable and after that her Honda S2000 was pretty good (not perfect, it ate coil packs). She currently has a 2011 SLK350 and creaks and groans like a much older car.
And yeah, I hate Chinese parts. Most of them end up in the garbage, not on the car.

Sheldon

alfaitalia

You can always get a bad car no matter what the make. Don't think there are many who would say Mercedes are "crap".....but there are bad individual cars with faults no matter who makes them. Until recently we had two Mercs (now one)...an SLK 230 Kompressor and a CLK200 Kompressor. The SLK we had from nearly new in 1999 and apart from normal servicing it only ever had tyres, brakes and one MAF sensor and one rear window motor with absolutely nothing else in nearly 17 years. My CLK has just rolled over 150,000 miles and still drives like new and uses no oil between services. Both cars still have the original exhausts, no rust and are NEVER garaged.

Cheap parts are a real problem in the car world....eBay had made the problem worse IMO which is why I try to buy my parts at the local factors where I can see/feel them BEFORE cash changes hands!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

70 sublime

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 29, 2017, 07:59:13 PM
The connector that came with mine would not fit the car, and same issue as you have now. It isn't supposed to be like that. I had to dremel the notch a bit to make it work.

I should ad that the connector that you see in my pic is my original. My repo didn't even come with a connector shell.

However shouldn't I be able the turn the switch by hand w/o using the turn signal lever? Even if I do dremel out the notches for my OEM turn signal switch to engage the problem still may exist.

Thanks for the reply.  :cheers:

I put a new signal switch in my 70 ( not sure it was from the same place as yours) but I could not make it turn left right with out the handle on it either but it worked fine
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

timmycharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 30, 2017, 08:48:14 AM

I put a new signal switch in my 70 ( not sure it was from the same place as yours) but I could not make it turn left right with out the handle on it either

I picked up the same switch from Vans about 4 months ago, put it in about 2 weeks ago and although it is not very smooth, it does work so far. I didn't even see the part you pictured where it meets the lever before I put mine on, just assumed it was correct.  I really don't want to do this job again as my steering column is installed in the car.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Scaregrabber on May 30, 2017, 12:00:33 AM
Why on earth do people think Mercedes are good cars? My wife likes them so we have had two of them, both have been total pieces of crap. Her Neon was more reliable and after that her Honda S2000 was pretty good (not perfect, it ate coil packs). She currently has a 2011 SLK350 and creaks and groans like a much older car.
And yeah, I hate Chinese parts. Most of them end up in the garbage, not on the car.

Sheldon

In Europe, MB's are used as taxis, so what does that tell you?  I've owned 3 cars and 5 Sprinter vans (for work) and I'd say that MB is simply a German version of GM. Here in the US, Mercedes targets their vehicles to the high end market, but they make a whole bunch of vehicles in Europe that they don't offer to the US market.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/model_overview.html

Vegas_Nick

You should be able to push the switch one way or the other but not turn it by hand where the lever connects. They are pretty stiff at first. After I installed this one it works fine, just a bit stiff.

GreenMachine

Quote from: timmycharger on May 30, 2017, 08:57:45 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on May 30, 2017, 08:48:14 AM

I put a new signal switch in my 70 ( not sure it was from the same place as yours) but I could not make it turn left right with out the handle on it either

I picked up the same switch from Vans about 4 months ago, put it in about 2 weeks ago and although it is not very smooth, it does work so far. I didn't even see the part you pictured where it meets the lever before I put mine on, just assumed it was correct.  I really don't want to do this job again as my steering column is installed in the car.

Be sure and check your brake lights before putting everything back together. I installed  one in a '72 and my left brake light stopped working.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

AKcharger

My latest Misadventure, dash pad doesn't even fit! Studs WAY off. My fault, I knew better!  You'd think the Chinese political prisoners in the sweat shops making these parts would take a LITTLE PRIDE in their work!

b5blue

Elongate the holes and check nut clearance. Think back about 30 years ago when there was NOTHING, you made do. I've just stopped buying anything except mechanical parts. (Letting my kids enjoy whatever.)

dreamcatcher

I know what you go through. I did my 70 mustang with a very expensive new dash pad. It has a 3/4 inch gap above the gauge panel and fit terrible. And when I ordered the sheet metal for my 68 charger from AMD it was some of the worst I have ever had  :rotz: . I know it is still better than nothing at all but when you pay a premium for it , it really makes you upset over all. I had a left front fender that the hole for the marker light was off so far that the light wouldn't fit right. I called and complained and they told me to fix it and they would give me a discount. I said I wouldn't do that it was a new fender and should be right. Finally the place I ordered it through hired someone to fix it. It is better than not having the parts to restore a car. But you would think they would at least care if they fit. I have had to massage every part I have gotten from AMD (I have gotten parts for my Chevelle, Mustang, a Camaro and Charger ) as well as many other parts. The rear valance corner's were the worst. I had to cut them in half and weld in a piece to get them to fit. I guess it is the world we live in but it isn't fun for the price this stuff costs.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

AKcharger

Quote from: b5blue on May 04, 2022, 10:16:14 AM
  Elongate the holes and check nut clearance. Think back about 30 years ago when there was NOTHING, you made do....

Well OTHER problem is the studs are about 3/16 shorter than stock so if I hacked up the dash to make this fit I might have trouble getting nuts on.  I'm with ya' about 30 years ago, but the flip side is if I know something isn't available I can fix/repair on my own terms with no "Suprises"

- Dream Catcher From a pal with 1st hand experience dealing in China (He had a carpentry tool) you send in what you want made and the sample comes back excellent or just needing a tweak or two...2nd sample Spot on! "I'll order 500 units!" you sit back thinking of how you'll corner the market with this tool/part that is NOWHERE to be found, the $$ is just goanna roll in! Well, several months later here comes your shipment! and it is complete crap! barely recognizable as the item you ordered...what do you do? Eat the whole order to save people from getting inferior stuff or sell and try to salvage a few $$ at the risk of your reputation.  Then...to add insult to injury 6 months later "YOUR" part is now for sale EVERYWHERE as the Chinese factory ran a few thousand units before they changed tooling and dumped them on the market

Mike DC

QuoteI have had to massage every part I have gotten from AMD (I have gotten parts for my Chevelle, Mustang, a Camaro and Charger ) as well as many other parts. The rear valance corner's were the worst. I had to cut them in half and weld in a piece to get them to fit. I guess it is the world we live in but it isn't fun for the price this stuff costs.

Care to elaborate on exactly what you had to alter, and how?  Pics?  Etc?  I'm always saying we should be documenting this stuff.

BTW the valance corners are actually not bad.  Everybody thinks they are terrible because by the time you are installing those corners, the sloppy tolerances of the other related panels (trunkfloor & extensions & quarter skins & center valance, etc) have added up. 

dreamcatcher

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 04, 2022, 07:40:35 PM

QuoteI have had to massage every part I have gotten from AMD (I have gotten parts for my Chevelle, Mustang, a Camaro and Charger ) as well as many other parts. The rear valance corner's were the worst. I had to cut them in half and weld in a piece to get them to fit. I guess it is the world we live in but it isn't fun for the price this stuff costs.

Care to elaborate on exactly what you had to alter, and how?  Pics?  Etc?  I'm always saying we should be documenting this stuff.

BTW the valance corners are actually not bad.  Everybody thinks they are terrible because by the time you are installing those corners, the sloppy tolerances of the other related panels (trunkfloor & extensions & quarter skins & center valance, etc) have added up. 
Probably the case with mine. I had replaced both rear quarters, trunk pan, tail light panel, and valance. The corners were the last thing on. And they just didn't match up. Funny thing is that both sides were pretty much the same. I don't take many pictures any more as I have done so much of this type of project. I will look and see if I have any. I just remember when I posted the issues I was having a few others had made a comment of having the same issue with theirs. I think that was over on the B bodies site. Like I said, not really complaining here because with out this stuff we would be dead in the water here. Just wish for what we pay for parts the parts would get better as we go forward in the hobby.
Thanks
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

hemi-hampton

I been complaining about After Market Parts since 1984, when the only after market to Restore Cars back then was Sherman & Associates, Then Motor City Originals came out in late 80's, anybody remember them. I don't get how if point A to B is 4 1/2 inches then make it 4 1/2 inches, not 5 1/4" or if distance from point A to point B is 15 inches make it 15" not 16 3/4". Doesn't seem hard to get the measurments right but they are usually off. I'd really like to of been there & worked on or seen them work on Stephens Performance Wasted Rust Bucket Daytona, Finished Product looked all nice in flat black primer but how much cutting & welding did they really do to make the Parts fit. They want you to think it all just bolted together & fit great from the Start. :shruggy: :slap:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 30, 2017, 01:26:45 PM
Quote from: Scaregrabber on May 30, 2017, 12:00:33 AM

Sheldon

In Europe, MB's are used as taxis, so what does that tell you?  I've owned 3 cars and 5 Sprinter vans (for work) and I'd say that MB is simply a German version of GM. Here in the US, Mercedes targets their vehicles to the high end market, but they make a whole bunch of vehicles in Europe that they don't offer to the US market.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/model_overview.html

Mercedes are a high class cars no matter if being used as Taxis. Teslas are being used as Taxis around here too.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

My reproduction rallye rims are from Motor City Originals :)
1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

Credit where credit is due...I did just receive this bezel Lense and its acceptable. It's not a 2 part like original but you will not be able to tell and quality is fine. Perhaps it's Tiawan and the Capitalist Chinese?

472 R/T SE

Right after I got hurt, I started buying up instrument clusters thinking theyd be some of the last stuff reproduced.

I was right but never took advantage...lol.

Looking good buddy!

b5blue

Come to think about it, I've had good luck with OER. B5 paint and ALT gauge both good.

AKcharger

Quote from: b5blue on May 12, 2022, 07:41:57 AM
Come to think about it, I've had good luck with OER. B5 paint and ALT gauge both good.

Maybe I'll seek them out specifically

472 R/T SE

O jeeze.  Years back we had to use original parts.  I sent the faces off to cvvacuum to be rechromed.

I can't remember the name of the cluster place I used for AllBlueRT.  I know I recommended them and they screwed a couple folks so I quit recommending them.  "Auto Cluster??"  something.  I was happy with their work.  They even did the odometer.

RTSE440

While we are on bad parts just wondering if anyone has used the repop  external door handles for a 69 charger are they any good ?