News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's your non-Mopar project car?

Started by Homerr, January 08, 2017, 09:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homerr

I just got this yesterday, I mocked it up with some Mopar regalia in photoshop.  Got a great deal on it with boxes and boxes of new parts for about 1/4 price the guy had in to it since the motor is out, convertible in winter, he's losing his storage, lost interest, etc.  He had a restored '66 Formula S Barracuda and I think he burned out on this MG.

I had a Triumph TR-6 about 25 years ago and the British car bug has been simmering since.  I've been browsing the low end of the craigslist market for more than a year and Mopars are hard to find.  TR-6 prices are up there too, but this MG Midget has an incredible amount of cheap parts available which was appealing.

Anyway, this is a 'starter' project until the right Charger comes along.

Dino

Nice! Except the GL crap that is.   :icon_smile_big:

When I lived in the UK, some 20 years ago, I stumbled upon three MG-Bs in not so fresh condition. They each had their strong points so I made one good one out of the three and sold the leftovers. I had next to nothing into that car and it was a blast to drive!

I don't have any current projects besides the Charger but once it's done and I'm back at work, my next one would be a V8 powered Delorean. But I'll get a car for my wife first. Something 30s or 40s, not sure what yet.

Enjoy the MG!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

500Jon

She is real sweet Homerr!
I always thought midgets were too small, even for a little fella like me? :smilielol:
We have a saying the the UK, big guys buy little cars and short-arses (like me) buy B-bodies... :cheers:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Homerr

Heh, the General MG thing certainly was tongue-in-cheek.  I figured since the car is orange/tan I could get away with it.

I'm 6' and 230# and fit in it just fine.  The issue is more ingress/egress since the doors are so short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdjeBXvPKgg

And speaking of MGB's I can't fit in them, the dash goes down too low and I can get my knees under it, even though they are bigger cars!  Here's a flashback video for you, nice little series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huoEMqq6Oe4

Nacho-RT74

not a project like that for shows, but a driver I have to keep on mantenience being from 1975 and want it to get better than it is actually.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Homerr

60/70's Mercs are cool.  Seems like the interiors last forever.

Troy

I have a soft spot for Toyota 4x4s.

I check Craigslist off and on for Triumph Spitfires but then remind myself about how much I *DON'T* need another project.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Homerr on January 08, 2017, 12:43:52 PM
60/70's Mercs are cool.  Seems like the interiors last forever.

Actually is hard to spot the year of the W116 on the interior and also exterior. Mostly of ppl thinks is from the 80s. Too much advanced for those days. First year was 1974.

As you mentioned, this body and its interior, allong with the R107 body ( appeared 3 years earlier ) set the design of the next 30 years for Mercedes. Allong with the build quality! way far away and better from the North American counterparts ( sorry guys but is true, having two cars of same age gives me credit to say that )

Mine ( actually my parents, but they don't drive anymore ) is a pretty much basic model. A basic carburated 280, short wheelbase and standard interior. Assemblied locally ( like my Charger )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

RCCDrew

I have a 63 falcon rotting away in the backyard. Eventual plan is a Full Mopar chassis and drivetrain in a hacked up rat rod.

Homerr

I looked at a 1966 Mercedes 230? a few years ago.  The interior looked like it left the factory the previous week.  Some of it is owner care, of course.  But the parts were well-made with quality materials.

alfaitalia

Gotta agree about Merc quality. I have two.....my 2002 CLK200K 6 speed manual has 146,000miles....looks and drives like new. Full Mercedes dealer ($$$$$!) history from previous owners helped a lot I'm sure. And my wife's 99 SLK230K is not much worse! Sadly the SLK is going Friday....wife needs four seats....so keeping it German (and folding metal roof) with a VW Eos.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

lukedukem

Quote from: Troy on January 08, 2017, 12:55:12 PM

I check Craigslist off and on for Triumph Spitfires but then remind myself about how much I *DON'T* need another project.

Troy

But you keep looking because you dont want to miss out on that "hell of a deal" car. and its out there.  :lol:
Love the Toyota btw. thorn-birds are an aggressive tire, i bet they are loud.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

lukedukem

I have a current non mopar project but its a boat, a homemade jet boat. it has an Oldsmobile 455 in it with a Berkeley jet drive. back in the day you could buy the engine and jet drive combo and put it in a boat. my uncle did this, he used a 70's model boat, i think it was a Hammond or glass-tron.

but one of my next projects that non mopar is my 1981 CJ7, although no that i have that 69 Bee, the jeep might have to take a back seat.
here is the jeep and the boat before restoration started. i have the boat painted and the jet drive rebuilt. i am currently ordering parts for the 455.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

alfaitalia

Many would argue that Jeep IS Mopar!! Myself included (WJ Grand Cherokee owner!) since there are Mopar signs all over the parts packaging and the vehicle itself.....well at least there was til FIAT took over!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

lukedukem

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 09, 2017, 09:32:47 AM
Many would argue that Jeep IS Mopar!! Myself included (WJ Grand Cherokee owner!) since there are Mopar signs all over the parts packaging and the vehicle itself.....well at least there was til FIAT took over!!!

Yeah, i thought about that. but Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987, so mine is still non mopar. i think, someone will correct me if i'm wrong

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Troy

Quote from: lukedukem on January 09, 2017, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: Troy on January 08, 2017, 12:55:12 PM

Troy

But you keep looking because you dont want to miss out on that "hell of a deal" car. and its out there.  :lol:
Love the Toyota btw. thorn-birds are an aggressive tire, i bet they are loud.

Luke
I do occasionally find things on Craigslist that I can use or flip. Rarely cars. I find ones I like but then can't justify them - or if they're a good deal they disappear before I make up my mind. I did buy my 1998 Tacoma and my Mach 1 on there and wouldn't have gotten either if I hadn't been checking religiously. Of course I've had both for several years now. I also found all the shelving for my garage (46' or commercial grade metal shelving in one ad and enough wood to fill it all in another ad). Last year I picked up a 1995 4Runner to flip. That was only a great deal because I had all the parts leftover from the black truck (which now has a 3.4 swap).

Those Thornbirds were gone almost as soon as it got parked in the garage. They are ridiculously loud - and heavy.

Troy

73-Charger-Canada

My other one is a 1984 Camaro Z28 that I bracket race in the summer. Had the car about 7 years, built a 383ci stroker small block for it with Edelbrock Performer RPM top end and Lunati cam. Just had the body and paint done over last winter. Tons of fun. New upgrades for this year include posi, gears and slicks  :drive:

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: 73-Charger-Canada on January 09, 2017, 04:19:16 PM
My other one is a 1984 Camaro Z28 that I bracket race in the summer. Had the car about 7 years, built a 383ci stroker small block for it with Edelbrock Performer RPM top end and Lunati cam. Just had the body and paint done over last winter. Tons of fun. New upgrades for this year include posi, gears and slicks  :drive:

Good looking 3rd gen  :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

73-Charger-Canada

Thanks! It's been great,  great car to work on and thrash. Hoping to get into the 12s this season.

73-Charger-Canada

Engine pic for good measure

Troy

I forgot the expensive one... 1970 Mach 1 originally 351C 4V shaker, close ratio 4-speed, Bright Blue Metallic with white interior, front and rear spoilers (no louvers), and power disc brakes. Needs work. I do have the 351C, shaker, and correct grill with the fog lamps but they aren't installed. Another post reminded me of the furry interior but I don't have any good pictures (just a partial view in the rear seat pic).

Troy

Troy

It now has a 1" lower suspension and Magnums.

Troy

Charger_Fan

Good looking Mach 1, Troy!

Quote from: Troy on January 09, 2017, 01:41:32 PM
Those Thornbirds were gone almost as soon as it got parked in the garage. They are ridiculously loud - and heavy.
This is true. My Son had a set on this truck (10 year old pic), and we could hear him coming at least a mile away some days. :lol: Plus, they don't wear very well when they are mainly used on streets.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)