DodgeCharger.com Forum
November 24, 2014, 03:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wanted to rebuild my 8.75 rearend  (Read 1736 times)
joww3

« on: April 24, 2006, 11:55:30 PM »

Hi, I just removed the 8.75 rearend off my 71 Charger that I am restoring. I like to change all the bearings that's on the 8.75. I am going with a green bearing kit for the axles. Is there any bearings in the diff that I should also change? I have never done this before, Will it be too hard for someone never done this before? Are there anything I should be watching out for?  Thanks.
Chryco Psycho
Global Moderator
Old Timer

www.panamaroadrunner.com

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:53:52 AM »

if the axle brgs are in good condition I would leave them alone , just clean & pack them with new grease the original brgs are a better design than the green brgs
 the whole gear set has 4 more brgs that can be replaced But if you upset the gear pattern it may be hard to reset the gears so they do not howl , , if things are good now just change the axle seals & keep going
joww3

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:46:27 AM »

I believe the bearings are the original from 1971. the rear brake on the right side does has dark oil/grease on it. Since the car is 35 years old, does the bearing last that long? I thought about opening up the diff to do minor refresh or clean up, I think the rearend was running OK, so the best is not to open the diff, right?
Chryco Psycho
Global Moderator
Old Timer

www.panamaroadrunner.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:52:50 PM »

well you need to pull the axles & replace the inner rear seal at least & the brake shoes to stop the leak , while the axles are out clean the axle brgs & inspect them assuming they have not been run dry they are usually fine so repack them & put them back in , if they are damaged you can sometimes replace the brg without damaging the retainer plate & still have the tapered brgs in there , if you do go to green brgs you will need to cut the axles or remover the spacer block though 
hard-charger

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 05:55:44 PM »

hey everyone!  i was also doing some rearend work and found that summit sells a axel bearing set from mopar performance that says,  it eliminates the production bearing retainer and end play adjuster. its part # DCC-5249444.
does this set require the same attention that the green bearings do? thay are a little pricey at $115.95  but if its a bolt on deal than im all for it!
Shakey
Old Timer

1969 Dodge Charger R/T SE - 440 AUTO

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:29:56 AM »

I did the rear differential in my car a month or so ago.

Here are a few links that you might find useful.  A couple cover the different bearings available and a couple cover the restoration of the housing, if you want to go that far.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3193.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10483.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10877.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

* Copy_of_DSC0566061.JPG (153.27 KB, 640x480 - viewed 672 times.)

* Copy_of_DSC0585667.JPG (152.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 634 times.)
Chryco Psycho
Global Moderator
Old Timer

www.panamaroadrunner.com

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:02:01 AM »

hey everyone!  i was also doing some rearend work and found that summit sells a axel bearing set from mopar performance that says,  it eliminates the production bearing retainer and end play adjuster. its part # DCC-5249444.
does this set require the same attention that the green bearings do? thay are a little pricey at $115.95  but if its a bolt on deal than im all for it!
sounds like the green brg kit to me & the price is in the ball park
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: