News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what do you use for a jack

Started by misty440, May 07, 2020, 02:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

driving without a spare right now as I am getting the car back to roadworthy and looking at getting a spare tire ( not original ) a size to split the difference between my front and rear sizes, anyways wondering what you guys use for a jack if the original is missing? scissor jack? how do you secure it and how do you secure a spare tire?
Thanks
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

timmycharger

I bought a harbor Freight bottle jack that I keep in a small bag in the trunk along with some tools, including a collapsible lug wrench.  I have a small piece of 2x4 as well to add height to the jack in case I am in dirt or something. 

I have an old wheel/tire that is in good shape that I use as a spare, mounted to the factory bracket in the trunk.

Mike DC

Quotedriving without a spare right now as I am getting the car back to roadworthy and looking at getting a spare tire ( not original ) a size to split the difference between my front and rear sizes, anyways wondering what you guys use for a jack if the original is missing? scissor jack? how do you secure it and how do you secure a spare tire?
Thanks
Chris

If you drive on two different diameters of tires on the rear axle, then it eventually cooks the clutches in the LSD.  It's like perpetually rolling in a turn.    

If you have staggered F/R tire sizes then it's better to have a spare tire as tall as the rear wheels.  That's assuming such a tall tire will physically fit in the front.  (But the spare tire only needs to match the diameter of the rear tires to preserve the LSD clutches.  The width can be different.)  

As for jacks, I think the modern scissor-type OEM ones are as good as anything.  They do a wide height range and they can start off pretty low.  They aren't very heavy for what they are.  

The OEMs avoid using hydraulics for roadside jacks because of leaking issues.  That's something to consider but it's not a big deal if you check a hydraulic jack periodically.  The OEMs know the average owner will never even lay eyes on the jack until they need it.  It might sit untouched for 15 years and then suddenly need to work perfectly.  

misty440

Thanks guys, I found a 2.5 ton scissor jack that I will get, I run a 275/60/15 in back (28") tall and 235/60/15 (26") in front and was thinking to split the difference if it will fit in front?
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

why don't you get the correct bumper jack setup? they are available around. They worked back in the days and they still work. And you have the place in car for it.

just my 2 cents.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 08, 2020, 03:15:29 AM

If you have staggered F/R tire sizes then it's better to have a spare tire as tall as the rear wheels.  That's assuming such a tall tire will physically fit in the front.  (But the spare tire only needs to match the diameter of the rear tires to preserve the LSD clutches.  The width can be different.) 

I made that but not because I have diff tire sizes, all my 4 corners are the same, but wanted a more compact tire for the trunk. Just searched the closer to 255/60-15 tire diameter. It ended being as far I recall a trailer tire size ( can't recall the measure )... even with thin white line LOL

must say I have SG
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mike DC

You can actually buy replacement donut-spare tires. 

In fact there's probably a size that fits onto a drag-race type narrow front rim.  A 15x4.5" aluminum drag wheel with a donut tire . . . that would be a very small & lightweight spare.   That would be like 25 lbs.  That's about the weight of a full-size tire alone with no rim. 

Polygon

I have a scissors jack (Walmart), and a donut spare from a Ford full size.
I have the original jack, for my 1970, but something in me says not to put all that force on my AMD bumper.
QuoteI have a small piece of 2x4 as well
That's a good idea.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

darbgnik

While on this subject, is there any consensus on what size modern tire fits in the factory location?
I've found  a 205/70R15 tire for sale at 26". Anyone know if that would fit?

I know my old 255/60R15 fronts wouldn't....
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: darbgnik on May 24, 2020, 02:29:11 PM
While on this subject, is there any consensus on what size modern tire fits in the factory location?

I currently have 205/75/15 on the front, nearly pizza cutters. Ive had as wide as 275/60s on it with fender modifications.

darbgnik

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 24, 2020, 05:31:12 PM
Quote from: darbgnik on May 24, 2020, 02:29:11 PM

I currently have 205/75/15 on the front, nearly pizza cutters. Ive had as wide as 275/60s on it with fender modifications.

Do you know whether those skinnies you have on the front actually fit the spare tire location in the trunk?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html