News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Dodge Charger for 2024

Started by b5blue, August 19, 2022, 09:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6pkrtse

All this EV B.S. will come to a slow crawl once the nation's electrical grids cannot support as fast as they are trying to push these vehicles on everyone. I for one will not ever be buying one.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Homerr

I'm way more interested in an F-150 Lightning than an electric Charger.  This concept looks so-so, just a 2-door version of the 4-door.  I'd be much more excited if it really paid homage to the 2nd gen cars.  It also better go after top-spec Teslas in performance and range, not some wanna-be contender.

RallyeMike

If the Charger is going to be electric, I guess the name was way ahead of its time?  :shruggy: 

At any rate, it looks way better than the current Charger. Of course, that one started off as a pretty cool looking 2-door concept as well.... so we'll see what we really get in 2024.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

tan top

Quote from: 6pkrtse on August 19, 2022, 11:40:54 AM
All this EV B.S. will come to a slow crawl once the nation's electrical grids cannot support as fast as they are trying to push these vehicles on everyone. I for one will not ever be buying one.

yes electrical grids all over the world will  not have enough power, with the current trend of green energy  & or worlds  resorses of lithiuam will run out ....

only way i can see electrical vehicals  truly  working is if they have a mini neuclear reactor on board !  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dreamcatcher

I watched a video and they put a engine noise with the car. What a joke (IMO) Like you could buy for your bike when we were kids. I would rather walk than own an EV no matter WHO makes it. But again my opinion only! I guess it is the new age just like calling weather climate change. But I am happy Mopar once again was at the head of the muscle car era.  
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Kern Dog

Quote from: Homerr on August 19, 2022, 01:31:06 PM
I'm way more interested in an F-150 Lightning than an electric Charger.  This concept looks so-so, just a 2-door version of the 4-door.  I'd be much more excited if it really paid homage to the 2nd gen cars.  It also better go after top-spec Teslas in performance and range, not some wanna-be contender.

They all suck ass. The Ford can't go more than 100 miles on a charge while towing.
There is no "hoot" in any of this crap.

Mike DC

I think the new Charger styling looks great.  It looks more like a classic Charger than anything else Mopar has made since 1974.  It's even two doors.    

As for the EV drivetrain, well, that's life.  The gasoline era is already over for sports cars. Go try to street race a Tesla if you don't believe it.        

b5blue

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 19, 2022, 05:43:05 PM

I think the new Charger styling looks great.  It looks more like a classic Charger than anything else Mopar has made since 1974.  It's even two doors.    

As for the EV drivetrain, well, that's life.  The gasoline era is already over for sports cars. Go try to street race a Tesla if you don't believe it.        

I agree!

RallyeMike

QuoteI park my cars in my garage & I'm not going to buy one that has the potential to spontaniously combust, with no way to put the fire out, and burn my house down.

According to most all published info, fuel cars statistically catch fire at a higher percentage rate than electric cars....

I hear horses are unlikely to combust.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

dreamcatcher

Really? If you like or want an EV then by all means buy one! That means more fuel for us who don't. Just like some who believe in climate change and some who don't. It is all a matter of opinion.  :popcrn: I respect your right to have one ,please respect my right to not. Personally I agree with KD. But it don't matter either way at this point. Just glad I am at the age to have enjoyed the real cars. Comparing a tesla to our cars is like comparing an orange to a lemon (tesla being the lemon  :smilielol:) And drag racing on the street is illegal and stupid with todays traffic. I haven't street raced since I was 17. Not what the comparison is about. It is more about the power grid fueling an all electric world. It will never happen.  :Twocents: And no offence to anyone here please don't take it that way. 
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

XH29N0G

I'm not a fan of the sound.  The car body is OK, need to let it grow on me a little. 

The EV thing is also OK by me and probably will get one at some point. That or a hybrid may be the next car I buy.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BrianShaughnessy

Well I'm very interested in this...  I'll check it out in a year or whatever.   Might have to break open the piggy bank. 

I like the styling and this technology is a game changer - although if they put in a '69ish center I in the grill it'd be better  ;D   

Anyway...   gas will still be around after I drop dead but just like steam trains and wooden ships....  nice to look at but time is moving on.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

b5blue

Certainly a more attractive package than Prius!  :2thumbs:

TTSaleen

I think it's OK they have a 2 door Charger again.  That is kinda cool.
And Dodge is just keeping up with the times and offering an EV which isn't horrible considering how the world is today.
If they manage to actually build it and keep it in the "reasonable" price range as has been touted it would be interesting how it could take market-share away from other manufacturers.
Let's be honest, about every EV I've seen doesn't inspire anything "muscle" or "hot rod", so this is at least a step in that direction.

Plus I got "The Wraith" vibe when I saw this unveiling (google that movie if you don't know what I'm talking about).  From the engine sound to the overall look, it felt like that old Wraith prototype car all over again, which is pretty cool.

Here's a link with some more info and cool pics of the "SRT Banshee".
https://moparinsiders.com/live-dodge-introduces-its-future-muscle-announcement-for-speed-week/

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

Homerr

As for the electrical grid issue - I'm looking toward installing my own solar panels on my roof to power my vehicle, no grid involved.  So, there will be an up-front cost but then free fill-ups when at home - which is 99.9% of the time.  I think in 3-5 years the solar panels and EV's will converge at a decent cost/benefit point for me.

I still will have my gas powered fun cars.

dreamcatcher

Anyways as I am sure this thread will soon be locked. We are somewhat beyond talking Chargers. I will say it is a good looking body style. I think they should get rid of the stupid sound track ITS ELECTRIC! The sound don't change a thing! In my opinion it needs at least a 6.4 hemi  :RantExplode: And also I wouldn't have one if it were free because I don't want an electric car. But again that is my opinion only. To each their own.

Nacho-RT74

Interesting idea about a Charger needing a Charger
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dreamcatcher

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on August 22, 2022, 07:46:15 AM
Certainly a more attractive package than Prius!  :2thumbs:
You are absolutely correct there.
If this car were to be built as either gas or electric, I'd be 100% in support of it. I actually do like the styling. Dodge could have built a soilless blob like the Tesla but this car has real style.

Mike DC

This new Charger is a long-term investment for Dodge.  The last LX platform stayed in production with minor changes for most of 20 years.  How many buyers are likely to be holding out for a gas-powered Charger in 2040?  By that time the battery tech will be more progressed, recharging stations will be everywhere, and there will be a lot fewer baby boomers & gen-X-ers buying new cars.      

Manual transmissions have been going extinct since the 1990s.  Same principle.  It's not that nobody wants them, it's just that NOT ENOUGH people want them.  

My guess:

Chrysler's long-term data probably said the new Charger should still be gasoline-powered today.  But the EV demand is gaining ground by the year.  They probably expect EV demand to take the lead by 2030, which is well inside the working life of this 2024 redesign.  

And then there is the performance angle.  The 'Charger' is a flagship sports car.  Teslas are kicking IC cars' ass on the dragstrip these days.  (And certainly in real-world situations where the AWD shines.)  Those things don't win by grabbing an extra federal subsidy from Joe Biden at the 60-foot mark.  They win because EV tech has legitimately surpassed gasoline now.  This has to factor into Chrysler's decisions.  EV is winning today and it probably only gets worse in the future.  How badly will IC be getting its ass kicked in 2030?  2040?  

Then there is the image factor.  Mopar is known as the most meat-head knuckle-dragging US brand.  (We may smile at that idea.  We aren't most new car buyers.)  Embracing EVs now is a chance for Dodge to counteract that a little.  The 'Dodge Charger' could use some classing-up in the eyes of many new car buyers.  An electric '24 Charger won't put them in the lead of the EV race or anything.  It merely helps them avoid being dead-last for another generation.  

Kern Dog

You are only mentioning the performance angle.
How many car guys do things in the interest of FUN rather than speed?
I switched to a Tremec 5 speed because it helped make the car more fun to drive. It isn't faster in the quarter mile the way that I drive it.
The smells, sounds and vibrations of a gasoline engine cannot be duplicated. THAT trumps any acceleration advantage an EV has to me and surely many others.
My 2015 Challenger will not need a new Hemi in 8-10 years but an EV will likely need a new battery....what do you think the cost of the labor and battery will be for that? How about resale value on an EV car that is nearing the point where it needs a battery? Do you want a battery recycle facility in  your backyard? Where are we going to get the raw materials for these batteries? People screamed about buying foreign oil....you think Lithium from China is a better way to go WHEN WE HAVE 453 YEARS WORTH OF OIL IN THIS COUNTRY?
It is all bullshit. Clearly, the ones on board with it are overwhelmingly blue.

Mike DC

Most of the car-buying public in the near future is 'on board with it'.   That's who Dodge is courting.  

Me?  I would rather have a new '24 Charger with an aluminum B/RB wedge and a 4-barrel carb and a stick tranny.  But I'm not the average new Charger buyer.  

Hell, the new car that I want isn't even legal for the OEMs to build anymore.  (I would skip the backup cameras & stability controls & power windows & a bunch of other stuff.)  But that ship sailed decades ago.  I've accepted that.  I'm just glad that it's still legal to customize & drive old cars.  

BSB67

Hmmmm.  Dare I say it.  I like today's 4 door Charger.  Not a fan of the 2 door concept.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph