News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

392 and 426 hemi differences?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, March 18, 2007, 05:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

Im speaking of the old 392 hemi compared to the 426 hemi :yesnod:

i got a chance to buy a 392 hemi for not much cash, if i painted it hemi orange,Gave the valve covers the wrinkle black finish,put a 2x4 intake on it with dual 4s and slapped on the correct 69 or 70 style air cleaner would you be able to pass it off as a 426???not to sell but to put in my car, i wouldnt say yea its a real 426 hemi to anyone but if people saw it ,would they be instantly thats not a 426 hemi or would it fool passers by????

bordin34

I think the block of the 392 is bigger than the 426. You wont be able to have PS,PB, or headers on it either because of its size.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

THE CHARGER PUNK

actually you would be able to have PS i have found a link in which you can buy a kit to do so, i dont care for pd as it would have discs anyway :yesnod:

Daytona R/T SE

The big tip-off is the 392's distributor is in the back of the block. The 392 is a great engine, leave it in the Imperial or 300 it was born in. Stop being such a poser...  What are your going to put it in, anyway your momma's civic?

P.S.  Mod Top Daytona Pictures?

Nacho-RT74

I think you need just to modify a little the firewall to get room to distribuitor...hammer it a little bit. Somebody with a black 68 did it. Dunno if member of board or not ( Old Board )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chryco Psycho

the similarities are a shorter list than the differences

GTX

In the cobwebs of my mind I'm thinking that the bellhousing is also totally different size and /or bolt pattern wise so you need an adapter for a newer style trans. I thought I had a company name once upon a time that sold the adapters?

Is this accurate?

I also seem to remember a buildup article that suggested using 318/340 lower end parts or something?

We had one once from an old Imperial or New Yorker but when we realized the work needed to get it in to a '70 Challenger we gave up on it. Strong motor though, bullet proof for the most part. We never did get it to die.

Ghoste

There are a few companies (or there were) that offer adapters for the early style Hemi.  Wilcap and QEC are a couple of them but over the years there have been others from aftermarket companies like Cragar and Offenhauser. 

max

you mean something like this?

i did this swap back in the late 1980's and it was a bit of a job to do. on the 1953 and later hemi engines you need a trans adapter to convert them over to a later small block 727, coarse the engine mounts i had to make them. make sure the sump on the oil pan is at the front or that will be another problem. i also put electronic ignition on this engine as well and it was a tight fit in a 1972 plymouth with out power steering.