News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to tell if car is tach equipped from original

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 31, 2007, 01:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I'm pretty sure my car was stripped of the original tach and AM/FM radio.  What would I look for under the dash or in the engine compartment area?  I do not have have a fender tag or build sheet.  Was the tach off a harness wire in the firewell to the coil?  Thanks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

youre car didnt have a factory tach , there would be a hole to the left of the main bulkhead on the firewall.not sure as far as the radio goes thou.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 31, 2007, 02:26:52 PM
youre car didnt have a factory tach , there would be a hole to the left of the main bulkhead on the firewall.not sure as far as the radio goes thou.

I take it you looked at one of my pics from before?  Oh, one less thing to buy.  Thanks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 31, 2007, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on October 31, 2007, 02:26:52 PM

I take it you looked at one of my pics from before?  Oh, one less thing to buy.  Thanks.
yes from one of youre other posts.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69_500

Hmmm, well the only way I can think of to see if your car came with an AM or an AM/FM, or the AM 8 track would be to look at the dash pad and see how many factory speakers you have. Its not a definative answer, but its usually a lead. Also does your car have the rear speaker fader knob under the dash? More of the AM/FM cars had the rear speaker, but its not all that uncommon for an AM car to have it either. I can't see any difference's in how the wire's are routed for any different radio either, and I don't notice in any of my photo's of cars. I don't see any different connectors, or routing. Then again I only have about 15 cars photographed in this area.

1969chargerrtse

It has the underdash knob which is why I'm wondering what was there.  Someone put in a am radio from a 68 in it.  I see big speaker wires for the rear, and a small single speaker up front.

Ghoste

You can have a rear fader switch with an AM radio.  I had a 2nd gen once with one speaker in the dash and one (I think it was one??) in the rear and an AM radio.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on November 02, 2007, 06:41:39 AM
You can have a rear fader switch with an AM radio.  I had a 2nd gen once with one speaker in the dash and one (I think it was one??) in the rear and an AM radio.
I guess in my situation I hve no way of knowing.  I do know the radio is mounted behind a 68 black plastic ribbed radio plate, so I would think someone said, oh, look at that am/Fm or 8 track and swapped it out.

Ghoste

Or... a previous owner hacked out the dash to put some big ass aftermarket setup in there and kept it when he sold the car leading the next owner to put something, anything, in there to fill the hole.  In this a case a 68 unit??
Just speculating.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on November 02, 2007, 09:48:13 AM
Or... a previous owner hacked out the dash to put some big ass aftermarket setup in there and kept it when he sold the car leading the next owner to put something, anything, in there to fill the hole.  In this a case a 68 unit??
Just speculating.
Got me, I don't know the difference between the two.  I don't need the 68 speaker knob, I know that.  I'll deal with the dash stuff next year.  This year is motor , underhood stuff.  Next year interior. Year after that, if the motor still runs, maybe 4 speed and console.  And so the bills mount.

69_500

I thought I mentioned that AM cars could have the rear speaker set up too? Maybe not. My 500 has the rear speaker and the AM radio, but from what I've seen its not as common as seeing the rear speaker knob with the AM/FM.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on November 02, 2007, 08:40:38 PM
I thought I mentioned that AM cars could have the rear speaker set up too? Maybe not. My 500 has the rear speaker and the AM radio, but from what I've seen its not as common as seeing the rear speaker knob with the AM/FM.

You did, you did mention that.  I just think maybe someone swapped mine out as why would there be a 68 plate in there witha 68 knob?  I'll never know?

Ghoste

1969chargerrtse

Well, I guess I'll keep what I have since I can't prove anything of how it came?  If AM's came with the speaker knob underside as I have, that's cool with me.  I never, ever turn on a radio.  My music is the sweet sound of the exhaust, always.

Ghoste