News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

950 proform HOLY CRAP what a diff!!

Started by Charger-Bodie, November 09, 2007, 06:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 21, 2007, 08:49:50 AM
His lines are nice & fit perfectly :thumbs:

True dat!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Looks very ummm...stock there Brian.  ;) There's some clues if you know what to look for but most people at a show won't notice at a casual glance. Very nice engine bay....hope mine turns out that clean.  :bow:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mick70RR

I'm thinking of getting one of these carbs for my 505 stroker. 440 Source 440>>512, 7.1" rods, 17cc dished pistons. 10.3:1, 0.040" quench, Edelbrock heads out of the box, Comp Cams XS290S cam. Carb I'm running is an Edelbrock Performer 750CFM and I feel it's not enough, ran 12.9@113MPH on street tyres, car's a full weight '70 Road Runner. Would this be a good carb for my combo, and could I live without a choke, it's my daily driver.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mick70RR on December 10, 2007, 05:04:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of these carbs for my 505 stroker. 440 Source 440>>512, 7.1" rods, 17cc dished pistons. 10.3:1, 0.040" quench, Edelbrock heads out of the box, Comp Cams XS290S cam. Carb I'm running is an Edelbrock Performer 750CFM and I feel it's not enough, ran 12.9@113MPH on street tyres, car's a full weight '70 Road Runner. Would this be a good carb for my combo, and could I live without a choke, it's my daily driver.

Mick....your engine is WAAAAAY undercarbed. Brian has the same basic build in his 68 and that carb really woke his up.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mick70RR

Ron, that's the sort of answer I was expecting but would I be better off with a Holley 850 DP. At least the Holley has a choke and I can start the car at 7.30 in the morning and disappear before I wake the neighbourhood up. The car doesn't want a lot of choke but it gives me a chance to get the car out of the garage, lock it back up and drive off pretty quickly. If the Proform gave me a performance edge then the neighbours would just have to live with it.

firefighter3931

Mick....the Proform is most definately worth it.  :2thumbs:  I'm sure you will have the same reaction Brian did once you bolt it on.  ;) I would be expecting big gains next time you take it out to the track.  :cheers:

Ron

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 10, 2007, 06:29:20 PM
Mick....the Proform is most definately worth it.  :2thumbs:  I'm sure you will have the same reaction Brian did once you bolt it on.  ;) I would be expecting big gains next time you take it out to the track.  :cheers:

Ron

absolulty worth it! IMO ....you should let it warm up a little before taking off anyway, no need for a choke :D tell the neighbors to "grow up" :nana:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Steve P.

Around here when a real muscle car fires up the neighbors come out to see who's going cruisin. The only time anyone gets ticked is when someone comes down the road with the stereo blaring or a fart can tinning away.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Which is only right after all since the former is music and the latter is just noise.  :yesnod:

Mick70RR

Once again I've taken the advice of this board, 950 Proform is on it's way.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mick70RR on December 11, 2007, 02:08:32 PM
Once again I've taken the advice of this board, 950 Proform is on it's way.

Right on Mick !  :2thumbs:

You'll have to post a burnout pic when the new carb arrives.....when that dbl pumper kicks in all hell will be breaking loose  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Dartbloke

You'll like it Mick, I use a 950 C&S double pumper on the 440 at the track. Way more lively than the 750DP I use on the street....
" The man that said nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door"

Mick70RR

Carb arrived today, I'll get it fitted it over the christmas break. I noticed that the throttle body was slightly misaligned with the carb body so I undone the 6 screws and lined it up, no big deal. Can I take it that all the tuning parts like jets, pumps, cams and gaskets are common with Holley parts or are they different?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mick70RR on December 17, 2007, 04:18:11 PM
Can I take it that all the tuning parts like jets, pumps, cams and gaskets are common with Holley parts or are they different?

Yep....all the Holly tuning parts will interchange just fine ! I would try it right out of the box first though...after checking the float levels and adjusting the idle mixture/idle speed settings....of course.  ;)

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Why do they have to anodize it purple?  I wonder if they make it in any other colors?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 18, 2007, 11:51:27 AM
Why do they have to anodize it purple?  I wonder if they make it in any other colors?

I checked that out ALOT , thats just the way they are ! and thats the only thing i dislike about mine. I will say one thing though its fairly hard to see with the air cleaner on. :coolgleamA:

Steve P.

I think it's like a free advertisement for them. As far as I know they are the only ones using that color. So when someone else sees that your car is kicking their butt and you open the hood. Well you get the picture..

I have a Proform main body and it is sort of close to Holley die color.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Mick70RR

It's the first thing I've bought for the car that my wife likes!

Mick70RR

Fitted the carb this afternoon. The weather here is cold, wet and foggy so I didn't take it out but it idles good and feels more responsive than the Edelbrock. Played around with the idle mixture screws and ended up with them all screwed only half a turn, 10 inches of vacuum. Can't wait for some dry weather so I can go out and play.

Hemidoug

Man those are nice!!!! I can see those mounted to a Stage V manifold on top of a certain 477 cube Hemi! :scratchchin: :naughty: Is the overall length the same as a regular Holley? I wonder if they would fit?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Charger-Bodie

Mine came with a disclaimer to be sure to install a throttle stop! so heres a pic of the one I got:

Mick70RR

I didn't check to see if the throttle was opening fully because I was on my own. I can't picture how that throttle stop fits, have you got a picture of it fitted to the carb?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Mick70RR on December 20, 2007, 02:56:34 PM
I didn't check to see if the throttle was opening fully because I was on my own. I can't picture how that throttle stop fits, have you got a picture of it fitted to the carb?

No, I havent installed yet . Im waitin for a foot print gas pedal :D If I get it on tonight Ill snap a couple pics.

They said its suposed to work but we will just have to see I gueuss :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

Now why would you want to put a throttle stop on it and keep it from opening up fully ?  :lol: Must be a Chevy thing  :D

Ron

Ps. Mick....congrats on getting it fired up.  :2thumbs: Gotta luv it when you only need to open the idle mixture screws a half turn....those PF carbs are a true performance calibrated piece designed for big engines with nasty cams.  :icon_smile_cool: