News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

braces on a 68 charger, info

Started by dodgey68, March 21, 2009, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

hi
sorry for the dumb question, i am in australia and currently building a 68 charger along the pro-touring lines  , my question is, i see braces welded in under the front guards ,(inner fender braces) what do they do/stop , i am making/fitting sub frame connectors, and something along under the radiator support,(seen a few pics) i under stand what those 2 braces do, just not sure on the inner fender braces, just wanna make it a better ride and handling car , do i need to do them or not really ,im not building a horse power car just a nice handling  tourer , your thoughts
thank you
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Tilar

I don't remember seeing those on mine, I'll have to take a look later when I'm there.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

WingCharger

Those are aftermarket. XV Motorsports makes them, along with a few others. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Does your car already have them? :shruggy: If so, keep them. They strengthen the front shock support.

Hemidog

Does your car have a strengthened radiator support aswell?

dodgey68

hi
this is a pic of a charger  found on the net, i wondering if i should do this to mine wile i can before paint, like i mentioned i am fitting frame connectors and a radiator support  brace and  i can see what there going to do (strength/support  wise), just would like some feed back on the inner fender braces, no one over here that i know of has done it ,
thank you

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

THAT STUFF IS MOSTLY FOR A COIL SPRING CONVERSION, tie the subs together and put in torque boxes weld in LCA plates and use good shocks, check search there is a great thread on a 68 there. :2thumbs:

dodgey68

Quote from: b5blue on March 21, 2009, 07:06:41 PM
THAT STUFF IS MOSTLY FOR A COIL SPRING CONVERSION, tie the subs together and put in torque boxes weld in LCA plates and use good shocks, check search there is a great thread on a 68 there. :2thumbs:

thank you
ill add the connectors, rad support,any one got pics  of the torque box's ,,please..
i have welded the LCA plates and as for shocks and torsion bars??? not sure on that
the dollar is stuffed (.66c)so to get stuff from usa ,,   bloody exspensive
dodgey68

mopar_nut_440_6

There are a few pics on this link I posted last week. This should help.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54809.msg609357.html#msg609357

I order USCartools sub frame connectors and Autorust torque boxes.

Cheers,

james
1968 Charger R/T 440 

b5blue

I've heard you can save bucks by getting stuff from Canada, better exchange rate! :2thumbs:

dodgey68

thank you for the info
i am going to make the sub frame connectors and rad support brace myself (and my mate who is a metal fabricator), to costly from usa to aus at presant, and i need to fit now before the paint ,
ill get pics when done
thanks 

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: dodgey68 on March 23, 2009, 04:21:17 AM
thank you for the info
i am going to make the sub frame connectors and rad support brace myself (and my mate who is a metal fabricator), to costly from usa to aus at presant, and i need to fit now before the paint ,
ill get pics when done
thanks 

Once I receive my torque boxes from Autorust, I will take some pics before, during and after installation and can post them if you would like. I know what you mean about shipping costs. They kill me also living in Northern British Columbia. It seems all of the big parts (sheet metal) are on the opposite side of the continent. Shipping often is more than the parts cost.

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Rolling_Thunder

Hey that's my car!    haha    Apparently these braces aid in the reduction of inner fender flex which is helps secure the front suspension contact points.

I also added torque boxes, leaf spring plates, boxed lower rad support, and subframe connectors.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dodgey68

yes rolling thunder i think it is ,  :cheers:, thank you ,, i have reading bout what you have done , also mr angry and autodynamics, thats what i am trying achive , i am going to fit a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi , depending on what i can get a hold off  over here , but thats a little down the track, my i see a couple of shots of the torque boxes and  leaf spring plates,  i might be able to make my own of the pics , if thats ok?? the dollar over here , not to good (australia)       its  gets out of contral dollar wise :brickwall:

dodgey68

i thought i would have ago and make he subframe connectors and rad support, the ends of the frame connectors are loose and i thought i would make the plates fold over the subframe a little for extra braceing when i weld the  plates and connectors in

Rolling_Thunder

My whole car's restoration is in this thread

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,44274.0.html

pictures are on the first and second pages I believe.

dodgey68

i had a go and made sub frame connectors my self and fitted them, as well as a rad support brace  :scratchchin:

Rolling_Thunder

runningman

Quote from: dodgey68 on March 30, 2009, 11:27:59 PM
i had a go and made sub frame connectors my self and fitted them, as well as a rad support brace  :scratchchin:

Will the radiator fit in there with that support brace?  My aluminum radiator's lower tank fits all the way down into the stock piece.  I also have that piece by XV and am wondering what the best way to install it is.  Thanks

Matt

dodgey68

thanks rolling thunder, ive been looking at ya build , great job looking good, wish my car was that far along , getting there, how did ya go with ya heater a/c box, im bout to redo mine  :buff:, may i ask if you  have any pics of the torque box's , i found a few but not good enough to get and idea to make myself, if not that ok ,

as for the radiator ill measure the hole it has to go into and order one to suit