News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FLG's 73 SE Restoration Thread UPDATED 8/12

Started by FLG, July 06, 2009, 11:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Hey guys,

Well i wont have much of any updates for awhile as im still working my ass off to afford to fix it.

Until then, here is some pics and a little history.

I picked up the car in 2007 in Selden LI. I pretty much knew what i was getting into but i just liked the car and wanted to enjoy it a bit before i started restoring it. Between now and then ive managed to keep her going with no major issues. And the issues ive had she never let me down....always managed to either break in the garage or around the corner from the house  :shruggy:

Its an original 318 car (was changed to a 400 car sometime down the line), red with a white roof and white interior. During it lifetime it was stolen and the vin plate got ripped off of the dash...though the fender tag managed to stay with the car.

Heres what the floors look like

As you can see from the remaining fiberglass...the whole floor was basicaly covered in it. The driver side is the only one i did not remove the fiber from because i has a big metal patch over it and i still need to be able to drive the car.

The game plan is to get the floors in shape along with some subframe connectors. Once i get that done i plan on dropping the k-frame and cleaning up the engine bay and doing up the front end.

As for the motor and tranny. I have a 440 block along with parts i want to replace them with but i dont know if i can stretch that at the moment so i might just fix up the oil leaks and clean up the current motor and tranny.

Once that is done i will get the trunk floor and quarter panels done.

Also the roof is in dire need of attention.

I will post up more pics as i take them. The resto will take awhile so im not sure when i will update but atleast i have a thread going now  :2thumbs:

There are some trouble spots but im very happy with the condition its in for being a NE car. Some bad sheet metal and 2 bad spots on the rears of the back frame rails but the rest of the car is either wearing its undercoating or just coated in oil from the leaks and it has helped keep alot of the metal and the frame in great shape.

Thank you guys/gals for your help!!!

wayfast1500

Same car I'm restoring right now, except mine still has the 318.  Mine is a NE car as well, the floors look about the same except I don't have the fiberglass.  Check out my thread to see mine. 

jb666

Frank , I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I admire your goals and your abilities to achieve them. So often, you have a young person, in school (with bills) who lose sight of their goals, but you are going the extra mile (or is it extra HOURS??) to make sure that doesn't happen.

Keep up the good work and soon you will have an awesome ride!! You are an inspiration  :cheers:

Beer

Remember...your disassembly pictures may be some one elses assembly pics! The more the better  :cheers:
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

FLG

I sure will beer.

Thanks Jeff. The guys will be seeing me soon. Im going to try to get the sheet metal from carlisle maybe at a bit of a discount then its off to the shop!

Nacho-RT74

there is a guy who made a resto of his red 73 SE WHAT DOES LOOK A GREAT REFERENCE!!! I couldn't find it again. He posted GREAT PICS about some restored body parts unavailable ( LIKE ALLMOST ALL THE BODY PARTS ) He got Tabco quarter panels. I saved some pics I was interested spoecially about quarter panels drains, but should save the link
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mopar73

Good luck on the resto and keep your chin up.  It is a long but fulfilling process :coolgleamA:

FLG

Progress  :2thumbs:

And no this part of the work im not doing myself

FLG

Yep making a general!!

J/K was a joke by one of the shop guys.  :2thumbs:

jb666

We kept calling it "Frank-Lee"... You know, like FRANKLY, my dear Watson, I don't give a damn...

Oh......... I guess you had to be there  :lol:

BrianShaughnessy

Less rust...

More Daria!    :icon_smile_big:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

FLG

I think you took more pics of her then i did at carlisle

:smilielol:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: FLG on August 31, 2009, 10:12:29 AM
I think you took more pics of her then i did at carlisle

:smilielol:

I was testing my new camera. 
:icon_smile_cool:

* that's my story and I'm sticking to it * 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bordin34

Looking good so far, are those old fiberglass patches in the floors? If you want to some help let me know.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

FLG

Floors are welded and subframe connectors are in!!!

Heres some pics, i should have some more tomorrow.

As you can see the subframe connectors are works of art. Theres some amazing talent there.

Id just like to really thank jeff for helping me get the ball rolling, if it wasnt for him id still be looking for shops.  :2thumbs:

FLG

jaak

:2thumbs: Looking good! Keep up the good work!

Jason

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

jb666

It's coming along great, Frank!! I was bummed out to have missed it again today, but at least Jon was nice enough to take these pictures and send them along. If it's still there, this Saturday, you can count on a ton of pictures.

:cheers: :cheers:

Nitrox

Quote from: FLG on September 06, 2009, 11:06:01 PM
As you can see the subframe connectors are works of art.

Yeah, to put it a nice way.  :eek2:

Why did you have that done in that manner?

Bill Howell

I did my subframe connectors in about the same manner. We did not come thru the floor quite that much but close. I did not want to, but felt it was the strongest way to tie everything together. We built up the sides of the floorboards to even things out. You would never know it unless you looked under the car.
Bill Howell

FLG

The man builds drag cars for a living so im not going to doubt his expertise in making the subframe connectors as you can see this is not a concorse resto it just done right and strong. the car is most likely going to have an 8point bar instaled sometime in the future so i dont mind the subframe connectores coming through the floor. if thats the strongest way to do it then im all for it.

Nitrox

Quote from: FLG on September 07, 2009, 06:03:16 PM
...if thats the strongest way to do it then im all for it.

Why is THAT necassary? How many horses do you plan to have in this thing!?!?