News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Death Proof Charger

Started by stuntman mike, September 20, 2009, 12:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

And for someone who is basically not a car-guy, Quentin Tarantino sure understood what cars would be good to use in the movie.  One of them is the Vanishing Point Challenger, and the other one is a matte black Charger similar to the General Lee.  I couldn't have picked them better myself. 

Cooter

Tarantino wasn't trying to make a movie that made any sense with Death Proof and Grindhouse planet Terror..He was paying tribute to the Other GREAT movies that ALSO woulda sucked today if not for the great car chases..I mean, has ANYBODY actually looked for a meaning and plot to "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry? It's the dumbest movie until the car chase. Vanishing point? What was so great about a drug addicted Car thief racing across country to deliver a stolen 1970 Dodge Challenger in 1971?

None of them made any sense, but then again, that's how a Cult classic is born......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I agree about Tarantino knowing what cars to use and probably in all his movies.  He obviously likes violence for it's ability to evoke an audience response but I also think he is a huge movie geek and is keenly aware of props (cars in this case) and how they should be used.  The cars in Pulp Fiction all seemed to be perfectly suited to the characters as well.  Even the more mundane cars seen in something like Resevoir Dogs were the right flavor of mundane.

Mike DC

Agreed.  He's a detail nut and his movies benefit from it. 

However, I don't think the "it sucks authentically" excuse covers it with DeathProof.  He could have done every bit as good a job of mimicking the old movies without resorting to making his own movie so boring at times. 

I think the original "Vanishing Point" flick had more going on that it seemed. 

Of course, I don't think it's as deep as it fancies itself to be.  But it's still deeper than how they studio dressed it up.  The final cut of VP that they released was actually not what the director wanted at all.  The studio re-hacked what he originally turned in to them and he came away saying, "they turned it into a B-movie."  On the extras they have a couple of "lost scenes" but apparently it's only a small slice of how different the director's cut had really been. 

As a film geek I would LOVE to have the chance to remake "Vanishing Point."  I'd wanna do that almost as much as I'd wanna remake "Dukes."  IMHO both of these shows have never been done as well as they could be. 

stuntman mike

And its actually the same thing with my DP Charger, some people things its the "coolest car they seen and some think its crap, a piece of shit.

And one thing more, girls seems to like the movie even more, maybee because of the revenge in the ending.
They have screemed the hole 70s, in every horrormovie.

wreckova68

Got to say I don't like the film....in the extra features QT says he wanted to make the best road chase movie ever....well he failed IMHO.  Good choice of cars though and I would certainly keep yours as it is!

By the way the Power Meet is awesome.....I'm in the very far West of England and we drove there in 2003.  Amazing collection of cars and conditions. 

stuntman mike

Sure, Powermeet is "heaven", but Classic Car Week, always week 31, with approx 7000 cars, is longer... Powermeet is only 3 days.
And on Thursday in that week, they have "mopar at the strip", with only Mopars.
Maybee, I have some pics, I shall look and return...... 

stuntman mike

Anybody knows, where to buy a "black" carcover to 69 Charger.

Montclaire

Just a note, from the look of the radiator support, it's a 70?

THE CHARGER PUNK

What size tires were on these cars? I know they are 15 x 7 new American racing vectors by the graphite color they are, but I think I recall someone stated 222 or 235/70r15?

ChargerSG

This the one turned into a GL, was in like 2 magazines(the guy did get it totally wrong)....
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

ChargerSG

The guy in Trelleborg(Sweden) that sold them, had 4 of them, 2 of them was really bad(one chopped up). Im looking for pictures of them, i have them somewhere....

Baldwinvette77

wait, you mean stuntman mike turned his car into a gl? or is that someone else's?

ChargerSG

No no, its the other that was in best shape. He allso bought the chopped up one, so that one is no more. Who bought the the one bad hit in the rear, i dont know...

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: ChargerSG on August 07, 2013, 05:50:07 AM
No no, its the other that was in best shape. He allso bought the chopped up one, so that one is no more. Who bought the the one bad hit in the rear, i dont know...

i think i read somewhere that it was supposed to be one of the cars in drive angry, but took to long to build since it needed the entire back end, i guess some fab shop has it then  :shruggy:

ChargerSG

Ok, i think there is a old thread back when it was going down...

ChargerSG

ChargerSG

Baldwinvette77

ohh so im guessing that solid one with the steel wheels became the GL?

ChargerSG

Dont know, since i dident get anyones of them i or even see them i person i have no idea, this is like 5 years ago...

rtajunk

Quote from: stuntman mike on October 06, 2009, 10:12:04 AM
Sure, Powermeet is "heaven", but Classic Car Week, always week 31, with approx 7000 cars, is longer... Powermeet is only 3 days.
And on Thursday in that week, they have "mopar at the strip", with only Mopars.
Maybee, I have some pics, I shall look and return...... 

Hi stuntman mike, Please check your PM. I sent you a message.

Kern Dog

You realize that the OP hasn't been on this forum since November 2011  ??

Ghoste

A lot of threads from the dead lately.

rtajunk

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 02, 2016, 10:48:29 PM
You realize that the OP hasn't been on this forum since November 2011  ??

Yes I realise that. But this might bring him back...

Kern Dog

Not if he is dead.
Not if he is in jail.
Not if he sold the car and doesn't care.
Not if he changed his email address.
You'd have better luck chasing a unicorn.