News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikbrown

Quote from: rollo1504 on October 30, 2018, 04:12:43 PM
DAMN! That looks BADASS!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Where did you order those rims with customized backspace?

I have this rims -> Wheel, Chrysler O.E. Style, Steel, Black, 15 in. x 10 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 5.5 in. Backspace Summit Nr: WVI-63-5012052
Wrapped in this tyres -> 295/50/R15   Summit Nr: BFG-16225

And I think I have this problem you mentioned with the 5.5 in backspace that the tyres touching the inner fender when 2 persons in the back of the car.... :-(

On the front I am running on 15x7 rims with 245/60/15 but there is too much space to the outer fender.

I definitely need to go with 15x8 rims on the front as you do but maybe with juuust a little different backspace to come closer to the outer fender....

What do you think about 3" backspace?

Regards

Roland
Hey Roland, I ordered the custom backspacing wheels through Summit as well. You just have to do the order over the phone and they'll submit the custom order to Wheel Vintiques for those wheels. If you want to do both front and rear as custom backspacing I would find another company than Wheel Vintiques tho in my opinion. My powdercoater recommended Pete Paulsen enterprises and I've also heard of people getting them through Stockton Wheel. Especially if you're considering custom backspacing for the front as well. You may be able to find better places to do custom steel wheels that are local to you which would make things easier. 

I'd recommend measuring for your specific application in the front. On the front 15x8s I have a 4" bs which is half an inch further toward the outside fender than the standard centered offset of 4.5". 3" would probably be too far but I think but it may be worth measuring on yours to see if it would be achievable

AKcharger

As promised...the new slots

69B5

Hi there, so with all this great info, I am still not getting it I guess

Hello     

Has anyone heard of "Vision Wheels" they sell on ebay?

I actually like the style, and they are really cheap (which is what I need right now)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-18-Wheels-Rims-Dodge-Charger-Coronet-Lexus-RX-350-F-RX450H-AWD-39008-/272846051957?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f86e45a75

Or if I did 15" HE SAID "I have 15x8 with -19 or 0 offset"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-17-Wheels-Rims-Dodge-Charger-Coronet-Lexus-RX-350-F-RX450H-AWD-39004-/272845966809?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f86e30dd9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-15-Wheels-Rims-Dodge-Charger-Coronet-Lexus-RX-350-F-RX450H-AWD-39003-/272845954592?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f86e2de20
hE HAS 15X7 and 15X8

These cars are old enough now I can't get any meaningful advise from the wheel sellers. I think they just import and flip.

I would like to go with a more or less STOCK suspension but I do like the look of bigger wheels. However, with the right wider tires I think 15" is OK as well

Anyone of you members maybe work at a tire shop to let me know if any of the above stuff is going to work on the 69?

I don't think I want to go all the way to 14" because if I put discs in the front, I understand they want you to have at least a 15" rim

69B5

A little more info came....

I was told by the wheel seller that in 15" they had in a 7" wide either a -7 offset, OR a +6

And I was told on the 15" at 8" wide they have 0 (zero) off set OR a -19

I think she was implying the  +5 in the front and a -19 in the back would give it a meaner stance. But she said she wasn't sure I could go 8" wide in the back without issues

On the old Weld wheels on there now, it has p295/50 R15 105S M+S that look amazing on the back and P22560R 15 on the front, IF that even matters as tires are really old bit look like they fit the car well

Questions are

With a stock set up (except front disc brakes), can a 8" wide rim fit the back of a charger with NO mods done

and

Will these offsets work, with the listed options of offsets?

If no one knows, but can refer me to someone that does, much appreciated

69B5

These are the rims.....the black ones are 18 only, the more gray torq type are the 15 (they also make 17 and 18's in those)

Troy

If you read any part of this thread before asking.... :P

A Charger has huge wheel wells. An 8" wheel is not a problem. I like getting matching wheels so I get all 4 in 8" but staggered 7" front and 8" rear is also fairly common. Of your choices, get 0 offset. Your front tires should easily fit with either width as long as you keep the offset near 0.

That rear tire on your car is fairly large. I'd almost bet the wheel that it is on is 9" or 10" wide. *Usually* a 275 is about the maximum recommended for an 8" wheel and you're wider than that. With a tire that big you need to be very careful with the spacing as it's probably fitting tight everywhere (although I have seen 325s fit in back with no modification). Again, 0 offset is likely the best route. On a 10" wheel this will be 5.5" backspacing (5" backspacing on 9" wheel). I'd measure the ones that are already on the car to be sure.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

kent

Kent

Challenger340

Quote from: ikbrown on October 23, 2018, 03:38:46 PM
Hi all, first off thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! It was a great resource when I was looking into my wheel and tire setup and researching different options. Just installed my wheels and tires recently so I'm excited to be able to post my setup for posterity and hopefully help someone in the process!

I wanted to go for a poser stock-car look so I went with some Wheel Vintiques 63 series steelies mounted on 'Goodyear Radial T/As'  ;) (put Goodyear tire stickers on the blackwall side of some BFGs). Very happy w/ the look overall and fitment of the setup but not very happy with Wheel Vintiques – I'll get to that in a sec.

But first, the specs!
Front: 15x8 (4" bs) on 245/60/15
Rear: 15x10 (5.25" bs) on 295/50/15

I ordered custom backspacing for the rear since the standard backspacing of 5.5" put the tires too far inward so it was rubbing on the inside fender. 5.25" centers it just perfectly for mine and I have no rubbing issues front or rear, even with 3 people in the car.

As far as Wheel Vintiques, I wasn't pleased with the custom backspacing wait time and the finish of the wheels. When I put in the custom backspacing order I was quoted 4-6 weeks and it took 8. The finish on the custom order wheels did not match the standard backspacing wheels I got for the front and the finish on the wheel edges was damaged pretty badly. Since I didn't want to deal with waiting another 8 weeks for replacements I just took them to a local powdercoater and had them repowdercoated to match the fronts. Came out looking great but in hindsight I would've pursued buying them through Pete Paulsen Motorsports (recommended by the powdercoater) or Stockton Wheel.

Onto the pictures!

I think you about NAILED IT !

Great looking Charger, absolutely fantastic stance.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

44070dart

WOW, just read twenty pages of info on rims and tires and I gotta say it was a great read..Just got my '68 Charger and looking for steelies for it and feel good about what I'm looking for.. thanks

RTsehibb

275/60/15 ON A SECOND GENERATION CHARGER

After reading every single post on this thread for months - I, like many, took the collective advice here and bought $1000 (In 2016, sorry it took so long to post this!) worth of wheels and tires for my 69 Charger RT.  Thank you to all who have posted as I enjoyed looking at every combination from 14" slot mags to 15" steal rims to 17 - 18" modern styles and they are all a compliment to these cars.

I went with the common American Racing TTO (Torque Thrust Original) in a staggered size in 15" for the old school look.  My 14" magnum 500's with all original 50 year old suspension was fine for the past 20 years but I wanted a slight rake to the car with wider and taller tires in the back.  I also wanted the rims to have the same appearance even though they are staggered in width.

After much reading here, the question of, "WILL 275/60"s FIT THE REAR OF MY CAR" was my focus of research.  I found several members who had no issues with rubbing on this size tire with the small 3.75" backspace so I went to America's Tire during a sale and bought:

15" x 7" TTO's with Cooper Cobra 235/60/15's for the front

15" x 8.5" TTO's with Cooper Cobra 275/60/15's for the rear.

Both front and rear rims have a 3.75 backspace.

For reference, the suspension is all original with over 100 k miles, original quarter panels and factory 4 wheel power drum brakes.  It sits very level with the same size tire on all 4.

The result was exactly what I was looking for.  A slight rake and wide tires that fit without any rubbing or modification.  The factory 355 sure grip rear has much longer legs now with the tall 275's but I have plenty of power with the 440 auto so it's not an issue. A 323 rear gear might be for some I imagine.  Unfortunately I hate that these rims are Chinese made (As is many things these days!).  I have owned the true original American Racing Torque Thrusts years ago on a 69 Road Runner and it is true, these are not the same.  The new ones have a machined surface instead of a polished surface like the originals.  Good luck finding a nice set of polished originals that are affordable.  For the price, these are very nice, the quality is decent and the Cooper Cobra is a great tire.  The balance is perfect so far on them. 

Anyway, hope this helps for those sitting on the fence about what wheels you might put on your Charger.  Your time reading this thread will help you make your decision!  The photos are from the first car show with the new wheels. 

Randy   

thor

Kern Dog

In 2003, I bought my wheels. The bigger wheel trend was already in place and even though I have never been one to jump onto a bandwagon, I embraced the larger diameter theme quickly. I didn't want super low profile tires though. I went with 18x10s out back with a 295-45-18. Now I am tempted to go with a lower profile because to me, the rear wheelwell looks a bit overstuffed. Fronts are 18x9 with a 275-40-18.

This forum sucks ass for posting pictures. I get tired of having to rename an image that I have posted before. The explanation as to why is an unacceptable reason as well.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 08, 2019, 11:04:33 PM
Quote from: ikbrown on October 23, 2018, 03:38:46 PM
Hi all, first off thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! It was a great resource when I was looking into my wheel and tire setup and researching different options. Just installed my wheels and tires recently so I’m excited to be able to post my setup for posterity and hopefully help someone in the process!

I wanted to go for a poser stock-car look so I went with some Wheel Vintiques 63 series steelies mounted on ‘Goodyear Radial T/As’  ;) (put Goodyear tire stickers on the blackwall side of some BFGs). Very happy w/ the look overall and fitment of the setup but not very happy with Wheel Vintiques – I’ll get to that in a sec.

But first, the specs!
Front: 15x8 (4" bs) on 245/60/15
Rear: 15x10 (5.25" bs) on 295/50/15

I ordered custom backspacing for the rear since the standard backspacing of 5.5” put the tires too far inward so it was rubbing on the inside fender. 5.25” centers it just perfectly for mine and I have no rubbing issues front or rear, even with 3 people in the car.

As far as Wheel Vintiques, I wasn’t pleased with the custom backspacing wait time and the finish of the wheels. When I put in the custom backspacing order I was quoted 4-6 weeks and it took 8. The finish on the custom order wheels did not match the standard backspacing wheels I got for the front and the finish on the wheel edges was damaged pretty badly. Since I didn’t want to deal with waiting another 8 weeks for replacements I just took them to a local powdercoater and had them repowdercoated to match the fronts. Came out looking great but in hindsight I would’ve pursued buying them through Pete Paulsen Motorsports (recommended by the powdercoater) or Stockton Wheel.

Onto the pictures!

I think you about NAILED IT !

Great looking Charger, absolutely fantastic stance.

:2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :drool5:

Quote from: RTsehibb on December 19, 2019, 01:02:36 AM
275/60/15 ON A SECOND GENERATION CHARGER

After reading every single post on this thread for months - I, like many, took the collective advice here and bought $1000 (In 2016, sorry it took so long to post this!) worth of wheels and tires for my 69 Charger RT.  Thank you to all who have posted as I enjoyed looking at every combination from 14" slot mags to 15" steal rims to 17 - 18" modern styles and they are all a compliment to these cars.

I went with the common American Racing TTO (Torque Thrust Original) in a staggered size in 15" for the old school look.  My 14" magnum 500's with all original 50 year old suspension was fine for the past 20 years but I wanted a slight rake to the car with wider and taller tires in the back.  I also wanted the rims to have the same appearance even though they are staggered in width.

After much reading here, the question of, "WILL 275/60"s FIT THE REAR OF MY CAR" was my focus of research.  I found several members who had no issues with rubbing on this size tire with the small 3.75" backspace so I went to America's Tire during a sale and bought:

15" x 7" TTO's with Cooper Cobra 235/60/15's for the front

15" x 8.5" TTO's with Cooper Cobra 275/60/15's for the rear.

Both front and rear rims have a 3.75 backspace.

For reference, the suspension is all original with over 100 k miles, original quarter panels and factory 4 wheel power drum brakes.  It sits very level with the same size tire on all 4.

The result was exactly what I was looking for.  A slight rake and wide tires that fit without any rubbing or modification.  The factory 355 sure grip rear has much longer legs now with the tall 275's but I have plenty of power with the 440 auto so it's not an issue. A 323 rear gear might be for some I imagine.  Unfortunately I hate that these rims are Chinese made (As is many things these days!).  I have owned the true original American Racing Torque Thrusts years ago on a 69 Road Runner and it is true, these are not the same.  The new ones have a machined surface instead of a polished surface like the originals.  Good luck finding a nice set of polished originals that are affordable.  For the price, these are very nice, the quality is decent and the Cooper Cobra is a great tire.  The balance is perfect so far on them.  

Anyway, hope this helps for those sitting on the fence about what wheels you might put on your Charger.  Your time reading this thread will help you make your decision!  The photos are from the first car show with the new wheels.  

Randy  

nice looking charger  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

DownZero

After reading this entire thread I still have some questions. Bear with me please. Subject vehicle is a 69 charger, stock suspension, factory rear with factory front disc brakes. Time for some new wheels and tires. My idea at the moment is the following:
Wheels - Crager ss.  15x7,  4.25 or 4.5 offset, 5x4.5 bolt pattern.  235/60/15.   Front
               Crager ss.  15x8,  4.25 or 4.5 offset, 5x4.5 bolt pattern.  275/60/15.   Rear

1) will I be good on this with no rubbing or clearance issues?
2) will they physically fit?
3) there are several "ss" wheels that look the same. Opinions?
4) are there other options I should be considering?

Not really trying to get all the meat I can under it just want it to look clean and close to stock.

375instroke

Is that vexer wheel well site or tool online anywhere?

375instroke

I see many people asking how well 275/60-15 tires fit on 8" and 10" rims, so here's how they fit on my '69 Chargers.  The black one has original R/T leafs with the front hangar flipped, lowering it about 1", and has them mounted on 15x8 Magnums, 4-1/2 backspace, 0 offset.  There's evidence of them rubbing, but I've never noticed it while driving.  The Cordovan has original 383 leafs, mounted on 15x10 steelies, 5-1/2" backspace, 0 offset.  I can only hear them rubbing when turning into steep driveways, or driving through the drainage ditch on my street to park.  That's probably the only time the black Charger rubbed, too.

275/60-15 on 15x8 rear, 245/60-15 on 15x7 front.  I think this gives the perfect look.

Rubs on inner wheel well

Rubs the outer wheel well hump

Outer wheel well clearance

Inner wheel well clearance

Leaf spring clearance

275/60-15 on 15x10 rear, 205/65-15 on 15x8 front.  Ride height is ok, but the front tire is too small for me.

Rubs inner wheel well

Rubs outer wheel well

Outer wheel well clearance.  You can see the hump prominently intruding into the wheel well.  My Coronet has this, too.  Do Plymouths have them?

Inner wheel well clearance

Leaf spring clearance

chargered

Quote from: khodne on January 18, 2013, 11:27:44 PM
Just put Mickey Thompson ET Drag Radials on.  295/65/15 on 15x10's.  They fit much better than the 325/50's that were on the car.

I apologize, I know this is a really old thread, but was reading through it and was wondering about your comment on the 325s.  Did you have problems with the 325s rubbing?  I was thinking of those for my 70 Charger.

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70sixpkrt

I'm thinking of changing my tires and rims on the front. I currently have 235/60/15 BFG on a Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 15x7 with 4 1/4" backspace. Thinking of going with a 245/60/15 Cooper Radial GT on a Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace. Would there be any clearance issues with the extra 1/4" backspace? My rears are BFG 295/50/15 on a Magnum 500 15x10 with 5" backspace. I do have SS springs. I'm just switching from BFG to Cooper Radial GT tires and not the rims.  
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45075.0;id=73915;image

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

funknut

Lots of people run 4.5" BS on the front without any issues. I run a 255/45R18 on the front with an 8" wheel and 4.5" BS with no problems.  I did have to add a small spacer to clear the disc brakes but everything fit up fine when I was running drums.

375instroke

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on May 23, 2020, 06:12:27 PM
Thinking of going with a 245/60/15 Cooper Radial GT on a Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace. Would there be any clearance issues with the extra 1/4" backspace?

I tried my 275/60-15 on those rims.  Lots on inside room, but really close on the lip of the fender, so you should be fine with 245/60-15.  This was on my lowered Charger with the suspension compressed.  I'll post some pics when I get home.

darkside

will a 15x8 with 4 1/4  with 235 60 15  backspacing fit on front without  any problems? stock set up 69 charger.