News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger R/T convertible

Started by 69bronzeT5, June 06, 2010, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I saw this today at a show down in Everett Washington. Still a project with no interior. Not sure if it was a real R/T or not...

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

resq302

As much as I love convertibles, it just doesn't look right on a charger.  Maybe is the roof line for me that makes the car along with the other body lines but I just can't see it looking better as a convert.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

That's Darrens car...I don't know if it's a real R/T or not either....Bob would know

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

resq302

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:47:14 PM
VERY RARE Recall Wheels  :2thumbs:

Im guessing they are not originals but the repros that are now out there.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:48:04 PM

How sad, everything can be faked now...  :flame:

jaak

Call me crazy...I sorta like it. Would like to see pics with the top up, though. The only thing I sorta don't like is the Charger script on the fenders....but I guess ya gotta put 'em somewhere with the roof gone  :scratchchin:

Jason

Nacho-RT74

Nice job on it but

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:35:15 PM
As much as I love convertibles, it just doesn't look right on a charger.  Maybe is the roof line for me that makes the car along with the other body lines but I just can't see it looking better as a convert.
:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

HANDM

I saw it today as well, with the top up as I was late and it was raining by the time I got there. I gotta say it was not much improved with it up.
If it is the same car I have been seeing a the roundup over the last 18 years or so, it has REALLY come a long way.

Did you see the white race daytona hooked up to the trailer?? Might have been in the show and since I was so late, the owner had it hooked up and was loading it up. My son had to tell him "your not supposed to use a race Daytona for towing" after which he replied "like I tell everybody, we've restored them once, so we can do it again" priceless, I say, priceless!

I took a couple of crappy CP pics of the Daytona hooked up if any one wants to see em :2thumbs:

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Yup, same here. :P An answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked. Doesn't even look like a Charger without the roof.

MoparManJim

I think the reason why some of us say this kinda don't look right is because we haven't seen very many of them around. We are use to seeing the roofs 99.9% of the time  :lol: 

That car is kinda growing on me when I look at the photos. Now only if they could make a tunnel roof soft top to put on that car.. now that might top it off with the looks  :2thumbs: :shruggy: :scratchchin: :yesnod:

DonC1

Gives me an idea...one could take a hardtop beater 68-9 coronet/satellite, cut off all the panels and bolt/weld on new charger panels...instant charger without the high buy in charger price tag...or not. This car possibly started off as a satellite rag or they stripped one for parts.

MoparManJim

Quote from: DonC1 on June 07, 2010, 01:42:23 AM
Gives me an idea...one could take a hardtop beater 68-9 coronet/satellite, cut off all the panels and bolt/weld on new charger panels...instant charger without the high buy in charger price tag...or not. This car possibly started off as a satellite rag or they stripped one for parts.

Sense you mention it, I went back and had another look at the photo showing the pass side rear interior spot. Look at the rib formation there, and then look at a charger rib formation.. I do belive they are different.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: HANDM on June 06, 2010, 11:37:02 PM

If it is the same car I have been seeing a the roundup over the last 18 years or so, it has REALLY come a long way.

Different car.  I think Bob used to own the one you're talking about, green correct?

8WHEELER

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 07, 2010, 01:51:23 AM
Quote from: HANDM on June 06, 2010, 11:37:02 PM

Different car.  I think Bob used to own the one you're talking about, green correct?

Well yes and no, actually they were both green cars, Bobs was a 68 ''from Richard Sias'' and Darren's is a 69.

Both were at several Seattle mopar meets, Bobs car never had an engine in it, after it was made into a vert.

Darren's is a numbers matching 69 RT ''440'' Charger, and now red, but the engine is not back in yet.
Two of these before pictures of Darren's car have been posted here before just as he was picking it up.
The other is of it at our show in Seattle in 2001.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BrianShaughnessy

Generally that's how these one-off ragtops start off life,  as a coronet / satellite ragtop - or at least they take a lot of sheetmetal and other parts from a donor.  Seen a few around.   What VIN tag they end up with is up to the builder. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

tan top

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 07, 2010, 06:13:28 AM

Generally that's how these one-off ragtops start off life,  as a coronet / satellite ragtop - or at least they take a lot of sheetmetal and other parts from a donor.  Seen a few around.   What VIN tag they end up with is up to the builder. 

yeah thats what i'm thinking this  charger is  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:48:04 PM

Originals had trim rings....and probably cost more than that poor Charger :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Old Moparz

I love it!  :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48966.0.html

And I'm still seriously considering converting my '68 Coronet one day.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Magnumcharger

Absolutely lovely!!!

I mean it!! FANTASTIC!!!

Now the nit picking part.....that standard B-body A pillar post. I hate that!!!
What it needs (IMHO) is the windshield and A posts of the hardtop, which is considerably different from the fourdoor/convertible windshield surrounds.
There is at least 2-3 inches less vertical height in a hardtop A pillar.

Since actions speak louder than words, and a picture is worth a thousand words...I humbly submit the evidence....

Original and modified A frames - check it out. Looks a whole lot betterer.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Daytona R/T SE

I've wanted to build a Charger convertible for Decades.  :coolgleamA:

I've just never been able to lay my hands on a 68-70 B-body convertible that either wasn't a total rust bucket, or big $$$$ and too nice to cut up... :brickwall:

...Now, with all of the AMD sheet metal that is available AND my extensive stash of second generation charger parts, I wouldn't even NEED a charger donor car to start with, just the B-body convertible, the credit card, and my junk pile... :scratchchin:

Anybody got a Coronet rag top they want to unload?  :scratchchin:

1969chargerrtse

:rotz:  Ma Mopar didn't make them for a reason and I understand why. I don't like the straight up look of the windshield post/frame/glass on a conv Charger.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Highbanked Hauler

rotz  Ma Mopar didn't make them for a reason and I understand why.

Chevy didn't do a convertible  on the Monty Carlo either did they?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

noff57