News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

are 71-74 chargers parts interchangeable?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, January 14, 2006, 03:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

like could i swap bumpers,doors,hoods grilles etc?-MATT

NHCharger

Yes, No, Yes , No. :icon_smile_big:
Some stuff you can. On the bumpers I think you need to also swap mounting hardware depending on year.
71/72 Doors have different body lines from 73/74.
Hoods all interchange, but the vents over the cowl are different depending on what year.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

andy74

'CUDA360

suspensions 71-72 and 73-74 are different. Gauge cluster in 74 is different from the rest. Seatbelts in '74 too.

THE CHARGER PUNK

i may be buying one i found a 73 se orange and white car for really dirt cheap running and all and was just wondering because i dont really like the grille and etc. on 73 but like the 71 looks-MATT

THE CHARGER PUNK

would it be possible to replace 73 quarters with 71's?-MATT

andy74

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on January 14, 2006, 03:48:10 PM
would it be possible to replace 73 quarters with 71's?-MATT
i doubt it,the body lines run all the way up the sides of the car,you would have to change the doors,and front sheet metal also.id swap grill and bumpers,leave the rest alone,or just buy it and enjoy!

THE CHARGER PUNK

well its quarters are a bit rusty and will be replaced and the front clip is a bit crunched and if i go with 71 gear the doors will be changed 2-MATT

twilt

If i read that right, you might put 71 doors on a 73?  Post some pics when you are done. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

THE CHARGER PUNK

no i wil put 71 quarters,doors and front clip on this car so besides the different roof it will look alot like a 71-MATT p.s. i havnt bought car yet but am lookin into it

jaak

wow, it would be cheaper just to buy a 71 model, after all those modifications.

twilt

Quote from: jaak on January 14, 2006, 06:23:25 PM
wow, it would be cheaper just to buy a 71 model, after all those modifications.
That would be too  easy and smart.

THE CHARGER PUNK

probably i think ill just get a 71 front end.(also the 73 is selling for $500 o.b.o and its a running car)-MATT

TheGhost

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on January 14, 2006, 06:28:59 PM
probably i think ill just get a 71 front end.(also the 73 is selling for $500 o.b.o and its a running car)-MATT

Buy it, fix it up like a 73, then when a 71 comes along, sell it, and buy the 71.

SIMPLE, YET GENIUS!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

NHCharger

Do you have decent 71 quarters kickin' around? If you do those quarters are worth more than the entire 73 Charger your buying.
How much of this work can you do yourself?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Nacho-RT74

Exterior:
-Fenders fit all years but 71/72 is wheel opening is cut lower, around an inch and a half. Of course 71 sidemarkers are different than rest.
-Front Valance. Yes fits with fender but extension braces up to frame rails are a little bit shorter on 71/72 ( or 73/74, don't remember ).Really no Big deal, Is an easy sheetmetal job.
-Hood. all years fits, only cosmetic difference on grilles. On 74 since doesn't have grills, then that make winshield washer nozzels are mounted on wiper arms isntead hood.
-Doors. 71/72 are around an inch taller on rear to match with quarter window opening, beside the body lines are discontinues. They would match with fender and A pillar but no with quarter.
-Bumpers: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8337.0.html
-Quarters. No as complete piece, but MAYBE the lower patches yes. I think rear lower Yes, what I'm not sure is the front lower section of quarter.
-Trunk lid. Yes. Only difference is the cut outs on inner frame to 71 wing. Not sure about some difference on Trunk cilinder area since 71/72 are different with 73/74.
-Quarter extensions. No. 71/72 are ones and 73/74 are anothers
-Roof, yes ( The original piece, no with the C pillar area )
-Glasses. With 71/72 quarters exceptions and 73/74 SEs, Yes they are all the same.
-Rear Valence. Fit but they have different bumper guards cut outs.
-K member. 71/72 different from 73/74.
-Floor boards. Every part of floor are the same with 74 trunk center floor because the hump on 74 gas tank to vapor separator.

Interior:
-ALL plastic panels and pieces are interchangeable with rear lowers on 74 exception and sail panels between 71/72 and 73/74. 71/72 rear lower arm rest are padded but fits perfectly on 73.
-Uppers. 71/72 different from 73/74, beside the cosmetic stuff.
-Dash and stuff. No problem.
-Headliner... 6 bows on 71, rest are the same. I think you can install a 6 bows on a 72 an later anyway.
-Seats. All interchangeable with cosmetic exception and some more stuff.

Trim and another stuff:
-74 Tank. Also is wrapped on the opossite way tha earliers.
-74 Wiring is different and non interchangeable with earliers... at least not with modifications because the interlock system ( removing it )
-74 seatbelts system non interchangeable
etc...

there is a lot more about minimal details, but THAT'S the basics

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html