News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bumper Interchangeability

Started by djm3452004, December 27, 2011, 03:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djm3452004

Hi all--

I read a post in another forum about bumper interchangeability and needed a little more clarification; hopefully someone here can help?

I have a set of '72 bumpers that I want to fit to my '73 SE. Both the bumpers on my '73 are significantly dented and really no good to me. The front '72 bumper came with the hideaway headlight set, and I'd really like to use it. (I'm not concerned about numbers-matching or being particulary accurate to the year.)

If I understood the post in the other forum correctly, I need all the bumper bracketry from the '72 to put on my '73 to make the bumpers fit.  Is this true?

Will this eliminate the need for the rubber bumper fillers?

Are front contours of the fenders and hood the same from '72 to '73, and it's just the bracketry that makes the bumpers fit differently?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

jaak

I've never done the conversion, but I understand it as you do. If using the 71-2 brackets, it will pull the bumpers closer to the body on 73-4 models, thus eliminating the need for the fillers.

In 73 it was some kind of Government Mandate that the bumpers were to be moved away from the body, so that's why the fillers were used.

Jason

Nacho-RT74

First, ALL 71/74 BODY LINES MATCHES WITH ALL BUMPERS.

ok here is the break out

71 is one setup

72 is another setup but bolts the same than 71s

73/74 are both same setup.

here are the exterior differences:

Depression for Charger arrow emblem to 71/72s. Smooth to 73/74 ( no emblem there )

71 are without jack slots. This year used a C shaped Jack. 72 to 74s are with jack slots in front, but then just 72s got jack slots on rear. 73/74 in rear got a small cut underneath the bumper to fit the jack nail.

bracketings:
71 and 72s are in front and rear EXACTLY the same assemblies with just ONE difference, the front top bumper brace what bolts to fender are totally different. 71s use kinda a rod L shaped what bolts to bumper, 72s used a "flat"  brace with a J nut to bolt the brace to the bumper ( same as 73/74s ). You can interchange them using the correct bumper brace.

73/74s are exactly the same between them.

Other differences:

73/74s got a small reinforcements inside to attach the bumper fillers. Then also the rear 73/74 bumpers got two small holes to fit the outer fillers which have studs attached. 71/72s are lighter bumpers.

To fit earliers on laters:

If you want to fit a 72 Bumper to a 73, you won't be able to fit the bumper fillers ( outers at least ) UNLESS you attach the attaching area for them, so to save the gap left by the fillers will need to enlarge the holes of brackets to frame rails to be able to get the bumper closer to the body. You can't use 71/72 bumper brackets into 73/74. You can still use the 72 bumper reinforcements but NOT THE Y BRACKETS to frame rail. Same backwards.

Now, if you remove fillers in front I guess you'll want to remove them also on rear, so would require to use 71/72 rear bumper brackets. This is a plug and play job.

If you want to keep the 73 bumper removing the bumper fillers, will need ( if you care the look ) to fill the holes left by outer fillers studs so an idea I can give you is use small chromed bumper bolts. This will fill the stud holes with elegance.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

road/track

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 27, 2011, 06:50:58 PM

ok here is the break out

71 is one setup

Depression for Charger arrow emblem to 71/72s. Smooth to 73/74 ( no emblem there )

71 are without jack slots. This year used a C shaped Jack. 72 to 74s are with jack slots in front, but then just 72s got jack slots on rear. 73/74 in rear got a small cut underneath the bumper to fit the jack nail.

bracketings:
71 and 72s are in front and rear EXACTLY the same assemblies with just ONE difference, the front top bumper brace what bolts to fender are totally different. 71s use kinda a rod L shaped what bolts to bumper, 72s used a "flat"  brace with a J nut to bolt the brace to the bumper ( same as 73/74s ). You can interchange them using the correct bumper brace.

Other differences:

73/74s got a small reinforcements inside to attach the bumper fillers. Then also the rear 73/74 bumpers got two small holes to fit the outer fillers which have studs attached. 71/72s are lighter bumpers.

If you want to fit a 72 Bumper to a 73, you won't be able to fit the bumper fillers ( outers at least ) UNLESS you attach the attaching area for them, so to save the gap left by the fillers will need to enlarge the holes of brackets to frame rails to be able to get the bumper closer to the body. You can't use 71/72 bumper brackets into 73/74. You can still use the 72 bumper reinforcements but NOT THE Y BRACKETS to frame rail. Same backwards.

Now, if you remove fillers in front I guess you'll want to remove them also on rear, so would require to use 71/72 rear bumper brackets. This is a plug and play job.

If you want to keep the 73 bumper removing the bumper fillers, will need ( if you care the look ) to fill the holes left by outer fillers studs so an idea I can give you is use small chromed bumper bolts. This will fill the stud holes with elegance.

Nacho, is there any way to use a combination of 73 & 71/72 brackets to have 73 bumpers to fit a 71/72?
-1971 Charger SE U-code 4spd track pack, one of 29...
-1971 Charger R/T 440 6 pack auto
-1961 Chrysler 300G CV, one of 337
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

Nacho-RT74

yes, using the 71/72 brackets.

Bumpers itself are "the same", brackets are the difference.

Note I'm telling BRACKETS... bumper reinforcements can be kept on its own bumper
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

road/track

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 28, 2011, 01:24:35 AM
yes, using the 71/72 brackets.

Bumpers itself are "the same", brackets are the difference.

Note I'm telling BRACKETS... bumper reinforcements can be kept on its own bumper
Thank you for the clarification  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

djm3452004

ok here is the break out

71 is one setup

bracketings:
71 and 72s are in front and rear EXACTLY the same assemblies with just ONE difference, the front top bumper brace what bolts to fender are totally different. 71s use kinda a rod L shaped what bolts to bumper, 72s used a "flat"  brace with a J nut to bolt the brace to the bumper ( same as 73/74s ). You can interchange them using the correct bumper brace.

Other differences:

Thanks for the clarification!  I'm happy to eliminate the filler strips, so it looks like I've got to get all the '72 mounting brackets, braces and hardware to do the swap.  I was getting concerned that I may have made a mistake getting the '72 bumpers for my '73 but you've put my mind at ease!

Thanks!
Dave

Nacho-RT74

djm3452004 not all the mounting brackets... just rears.

fronts need to keep the 73 Y brackets to frame rails and enlarge the holes to frame rails to close to body and save the gap, but 72 bumper reinforcements can kept, specially being hideaways, due here is where grilles are bolted

road/track is making the opposite interchange than you want to make.

In couple of words, the front Y brackets to fram rail NEEDS TO MATCH the year of the car, to be able to interchange the bumper. The bumper reinforcements can be the same than the bumper has or the same than the car has, doesn't matter, just need to keep the correct grilles bracketing setup as your wish. The rears doesn't matter, just if you want fillers or not, get the earliers or the lates.

djm3452004

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 28, 2011, 10:30:43 AM
djm3452004 not all the mounting brackets... just rears.

fronts need to keep the 73 Y brackets to frame rails and enlarge the holes to frame rails to close to body and save the gap, but 72 bumper reinforcements can kept, specially being hideaways, due here is where grilles are bolted

road/track is making the opposite interchange than you want to make.

In couple of words, the front Y brackets to fram rail NEEDS TO MATCH the year of the car, to be able to interchange the bumper. The bumper reinforcements can be the same than the bumper has or the same than the car has, doesn't matter, just need to keep the correct grilles bracketing setup as your wish. The rears doesn't matter, just if you want fillers or not, get the earliers or the lates.

Ok, I follow you now. 

--To use the '72 front bumper on my '73, I have to use my existing '73 mounting brackets.  I'll need to modify the mounting holes in the brackets to close the gap where the filler strip was and allow the bumpers to sit closer to the body.  I can use the '72 bumper reinforcements.

--To use the '72 rear bumper on my '73, I need to use the '72 mounting brackets, which install exactly the same way but are configured differently to allow the bumper to sit closer to the body.

Thanks!
Dave

Nacho-RT74

Nacho-RT74

one note appart. Hideaways headlights setup uses a diff headlights pedestal, being shorter to allow more clearence for the doors. HOWEVER has been prooved the non hideaways headlights pedestals cars works to for the hideaways setup too, just a little bit tighter so you can keep them. But if you have these pedestals around from the 72 donor, will be nice just for more room for the doors.

djm3452004

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 28, 2011, 11:27:29 AM
one note appart. Hideaways headlights setup uses a diff headlights pedestal, being shorter to allow more clearence for the doors. HOWEVER has been prooved the non hideaways headlights pedestals cars works to for the hideaways setup too, just a little bit tighter so you can keep them. But if you have these pedestals around from the 72 donor, will be nice just for more room for the doors.

Gotcha.  I should be able to get all the '72 headlight mounting hardware from the donor car as well.  Thanks so much for the help!

Dave

road/track

I just the removed the front bumper on the 71, I realize the this could have been done easiest way by starting with removal of the front valance, and then the complete bracket from the frame.
However, there are some small braces from the fender to the bumper that I assume needs to be from the correct year model of the bumper, as this will not attach the same way?  any lead where to get them, what are they called?

In order to save some time, what will be the fastest way to remove the rear bumper and lighting on the 71?
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

Nacho-RT74

Thats what I told about the 71 top bumper brace to fender diff than the rest.

bracketings:
71 and 72s are in front and rear EXACTLY the same assemblies with just ONE difference, the front top bumper brace what bolts to fender are totally different. 71s use kinda a rod L shaped what bolts to bumper, 72s used a "flat"  brace with a J nut to bolt the brace to the bumper ( same as 73/74s ). You can interchange them using the correct bumper brace.

When I dissasemble Bumper I preffer to keep Y brackets to frame on first dissasemble and not remove valance. Then with bumper off, remove the Y brackets. I Think Y brackets are posible to remove them in fact from back.

71charger_fan

Pulling a 3rd gen rear bumper is easy. Just unplug the wiring, disconnect any grounds, force the rubber plug through which the wiring passes out from inside the trunk. There are 8 bolts/studs. Take out the bolts, remove the nuts, and lift the whole bumper/taillight assembly off as a unit.

I know it's a little late to this party, but I used a '73 rear bumper for years on my '71. Direct bolt up. I just used a couple of extra bumper bolts with the square shoulders filed down to fill the holes for the bumper guards.

djm3452004

Quote from: 71charger_fan on December 31, 2011, 11:14:05 AM
Pulling a 3rd gen rear bumper is easy. Just unplug the wiring, disconnect any grounds, force the rubber plug through which the wiring passes out from inside the trunk. There are 8 bolts/studs. Take out the bolts, remove the nuts, and lift the whole bumper/taillight assembly off as a unit.

I know it's a little late to this party, but I used a '73 rear bumper for years on my '71. Direct bolt up. I just used a couple of extra bumper bolts with the square shoulders filed down to fill the holes for the bumper guards.

No, not late at all.  Thanks for the input!

Dave

road/track

Quote from: 71charger_fan on December 31, 2011, 11:14:05 AM

Thanks a lot Charger_fan, it´s out, worked like a breeze.. :2thumbs: :cheers:

-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

E5 Charger

djm3452004 to remove the gap on the back bumper you need to use 71 or 72 bumper brackets. They are shorter. You will also need the shorter gas filler tube from a 71 or 72. I'm curious if anyone has ever measured how much they elongated the holes on the bracket for the front bumper to hide the gap. I've heard many times that's how they do it on the front, but never exactly what amount works the best with everything else. It could save a lot of trial and error.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: E5 Charger on January 20, 2012, 08:52:38 PM
djm3452004 to remove the gap on the back bumper you need to use 71 or 72 bumper brackets. They are shorter. You will also need the shorter gas filler tube from a 71 or 72. I'm curious if anyone has ever measured how much they elongated the holes on the bracket for the front bumper to hide the gap. I've heard many times that's how they do it on the front, but never exactly what amount works the best with everything else. It could save a lot of trial and error.

I have not done mine yet (front bumper), but I did measure and figure 1 1/4" is what I will elongate mine, if anyone has a better measurement I'd sure be interested in hearing it, I'd only like to do this one  :icon_smile_big: