News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Well you all are probably as sick of looking at pictures of my cowl as much as I am sick of working on this tedious area but here are a few more as I close in on the finish of this area.  The first is of the last of the HVAC ducts installed over the gauge cluster area.
Major pain trying protect wiring and plastic parts  and route everything. Just hope I get a little bit of air out of these when all is said and done.
  Second picture is of the sub cowl finally sealed and painted.
  The third picture is the cowl with the seams sealed with epoxy , bondoed and primed.
  Finally I am moving on to the dash. The last picture is of the part of the dash that will be permanently attached to the car. There will be a removable padded section to transition from this assembly to the removable dash assembly.

Stevearino

This picture is of the finished cowl piece which I coated with spray on bed liner to give it a textured appearance.

Baldwinvette77

Ahhh bed liner, how i love thee  :cheers: looks great!

djcarguy

SEE I AM BEING PATIENT,,,,,i wait ed 2days an a few minutes sence last post to post again,hahahahahh.

ooooh come on please some steering an wing an seat,,defenitly A WING NOW OR SOON  and do a prelimb test drive an burn out,,, oohhh that wood bbeeee soooo cooool   ...most defenitly TIMe FOR A WING .. iam a good test driver dad let meee drive in the driveway,,most definitly time,,then we have to go to K_MART for underwear,,clean underwear..  definitly a good driver,lol...

hay its 4 am an slept few hrs then up too peee an now on here ,soorry maybee too much info,, grow up with bout 3/8 drive an was driving dads old cars on drive an out in the wood at 11 or12 an got my first 56 ford f-100 at 13teen ,, so reliving some past ,,long past times been 4o some yrs now and now it sounds old an sad-----

most of my cars are out in cold an rain so just sucking in info an ideas by reading an watching others great builds.. thanks,,latter DJ out west we bee froozzzen here got up to 38 monday for 17 minutes,hahaha :D :D

Stevearino

DJ you need to focus that energy and start carving a nose cone for the Dartona out of redwood or something over the winter that way it will be ready for install in the spring. :lol: Got a long way to go before I fire this car up again.The wing fitment is probably at least 6 months away so settle down. :lol:

Indygenerallee

Looking great Steve.... Just wish I was close enough to swing by and say hi in person and give you a hand (and learn something!!never too old for that!!)  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

Thanks for the thumbs up David. As it gets colder inspiration is getting harder to come by.

Indygenerallee

Your cold!!!  :lol: I laugh in your face Steve!!!  :icon_smile_big: Seriously I wish I HAD THE COLD you guys have there I would probably be sweating!!!

Stevearino

To build the final piece of the upper dash I started out shaping a piece of steel to create a rim over the gauge cluster. I put some 1/16" double face tape on the bottom side to space it off to allow for the vinyl to be applied to this piece later.
  The second picture shows the rim in place.
  The third picture is of the paper pattern for the steel piece to fit into this area.
  The last picture in this series shows the clips I formed and welded to the under front side of the panel. These will grab the piece of the forward permanent dash section providing for a blind fastened front edge. You will notice that I am simply using velcro to hold down the front of the dash pod section to the dash pod.

Stevearino

The first picture here shows the cover for the dash pod area installed.
After that I built the rest of the top dash that extends over to cover the climate control and passenger area. Two small offset flanges were welded to the bottom so that I could secure this section with screws from underneath the dash.
The third picture shows the upper dash removed from the car. I will bondo it so that irregularities in the surface won't telegraph through the vinyl.
The last picture shows a side view . You will notice that I cut a piece of 3/8 tube in halve and welded it to the front edge to create a bull nose or rounded front edge.

Indygenerallee

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Baldwinvette77

Ok thats just Awesome, Stop being so awesome!  :drool5:

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Stevearino

Ghoste

Thats the truth.  The cold comes and the work goes, but you are doing a nice job so don't stop now.

djcarguy

Quote from: Stevearino on December 04, 2013, 05:15:56 PM
DJ you need to focus that energy and start carving a nose cone for the Dartona out of redwood or something over the winter that way it will be ready for install in the spring. :lol: Got a long way to go before I fire this car up again.The wing fitment is probably at least 6 months away so settle down. :lol:
REDWOOD ENDANGERED AN COSTLY--PLYWOOD CHEAPER NO SPLIT OUT LATTER,HOHO HO
WAITed 3 DAYS THIS TIME,SEENS LAST POST ,HO HO HO.   WAS GOING TO MAKE MY NOSE An wing tail,,did make a wing??  Then bought a solid tona wing local an ordering a nose cone to modify or carve down for my dart..

Waiting to see how ta mount nose from ya??  mine may bee here end of Feb if i find a shipper for 69 inch long bird nose. going bird not big fan of daytona air screen in nose.plan lights under if ya can show us how to mount those?? ha hah. snow is melting an mee patsently  following several builds?  wing may inspirer the masses, :D :D  DJ :D :D

djcarguy

HAY STEVE what does  GLASS nose cone weigh??  or anyone with bare bird or tone GLASS nose??  working on shipping  Duncan vancouver island to eugene OR--97402 or 01  greyhound bus was cheap,now hear 300 ta ship?

thanks steve if ya have info or not.BOUT NOSE.Back to steves great srt-8 custom super wing build.thanks carry on

HO HO HO HOE,OH THAT GREETING FOR XX WIFES----- :D :D  HO HO HO........ :D :D :cheers:DJ :2thumbs: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:WATCHING YA BUILD :D :D

Hemi Runner

Steve,
What's your target weight when complete? By what I'm seeing, she'll be a little on the heavy side!! :lol:

Stevearino

Quote from: djcarguy on December 13, 2013, 10:54:25 AM
  HAY STEVE what does  GLASS nose cone weigh??  or anyone with bare bird or tone GLASS nose??  working on shipping  Duncan vancouver island to eugene OR--97402 or 01  greyhound bus was cheap,now hear 300 ta ship?

thanks steve if ya have info or not.BOUT NOSE.Back to steves great srt-8 custom super wing build.thanks carry on

HO HO HO HOE,OH THAT GREETING FOR XX WIFES----- :D :D  HO HO HO........ :D :D :cheers:DJ :2thumbs: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:WATCHING YA BUILD :D :D
I really don't have a good way to weigh the nose and in the case of shipping you would need a real number not just a rough estimate.
Quote from: Hemi Runner on December 13, 2013, 07:45:49 PM
Steve,
What's your target weight when complete? By what I'm seeing, she'll be a little on the heavy side!! :lol:
I am thinking it should be pretty close to the 5,000 lb curb weight of the 06. The LX platform is much heavier than the 68 and believe it or not the steel on the 06 was just as thick and heavy as on the 68.

Stevearino

They finally put the West Coast Custom episode of the 07 to 68 Charger conversion on You Tube. It was interesting to go back and take a look at what I could see about how they handled certain problems I encountered. Like all reality shows they feel the need to do a lot of quick cuts and fill the show with personel BS so it was hard to tell what was going on without stopping the video a whole bunch of times. They also ate up a bunch of the show with a Prius custom. Not cool.  :brickwall: A couple of things I noticed is that they cut way into the floor in the rocker area so as to conceal the pinch weld further under the car. That was smart. Also they seemed to pitch the body up hill a bit to overcome the high dash situation. Still seems like the dash is too high in the car. It also looks like being a California car they didn't bother with wipers which is cool but they could have at least cut out the wiper bumps in the cowl. Doesn't look like they bothered with anything but a center defrost outlet on the dash. Any way here is the link for anyone who might be interested in checking it out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoaQjaBLdc

Stevearino

Decided to get back to mending the body and the chassis together. I started with  making extensions to go from the frame to the 1/8" plate installed in the body to support the rear bumper. I made a plate to bolt to the existing bumper studs in the frame. I then pieced the 1 1/2" .120 wall tube to create a kick up style outrigger. Hopefully if anyone runs into the back of me  :-\ these will give before the frame is damaged.  Finally I welded the outriggers to the body at the bumper location.

Stevearino

Well this is all going to look a little odd until it is all painted one color but I installed the 06 fuel filler door in the side of the quarter panel. The upper contour of the door was beveled in  so I had to do a little modification to get it to be the same as the quarter.    I am no 100% happy with this and I might have to move it to a more appealing location.

cdr

as always your craftsmanship is the best i have seen,,i'm gonna have to see the gas cap door the same color before i can give it  :2thumbs: ,, having nothing to do with how well the install was done.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

the crumple zone bumper brackets was a great idea.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr