News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 10, 2015, 06:36:40 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 08, 2015, 04:20:48 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on January 19, 2015, 08:02:16 PM
. And before anyone asks I won't be leaving what looks like rocket motors for exhaust. The resonator cans are way too big and hang to low so I will have to do some re routing to get  everything closer to the bottom of the car. Hopefully eliminating the afterburners won't make the car sound funky.

If you're talking about what I call "suitcases" right at the exhaust tip, removing them won't change the sound too much.  It gave my Magnum a more throaty sound.  The 1st mod was removing mine & adding chrome tips.

I don't know about '06 but in '05 you can remove the round headlight switch knob & file off a nubbin so the dial turns to the left of "off" one position.  Boom...automatic headlights.  2nd mod.
Imo, the Dodge rigs should have the opportunity to have the bells & whistles like their Chrysler counterpart to begin with.  It just seems like for instance the switch just cheapens the brand.   :shruggy:

On my old 2005 Magnum R/T, I put full SRT8 exhaust on it with the resonator/suitcase deletes. It sounded AWESOME but had some drone between 1200-1300rpm. My Challenger has full Flowmaster 40 series cat-back exhaust with the resonator/suitcase deletes and it sounds amazing. Has NO drone either.

I also did the automatic headlights upgrade. My headlight switch crapped the bed so I just replaced it with an automatic headlight switch. Being as the car had factory dual climate control, the headlights use the sensor for that to decide when to turn on or not.

I guess I will just lop the suit cases off and see what it sounds like. It seems like from your description it will be fine. I was wondering what would sense the dawn/dusk. I don't have dual climate control so I might be missing the required sensor. I am o.k. with the lights the way they are though.

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 10, 2015, 07:37:33 PM
Oh man thats pretty  :drool5:

Thanks Baldwinvett77. How is the interceptor project going?
Well I have been wondering if my wheel choice was o.k. because with the car so far from done it is hard to visualize what it will look like. So I took the picture that I took of the car with the tires and wheels mounted and isolated a tire and wheel and did a little photoshop work. I manipulated them to place them on the picture of the model I had built of this project and I think they are going to be o.k.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Baldwinvette77

They look great  :drool5: and its going ok, Its buried in about 4 feet of snow, But i found people willing to help me strip other cars for parts to stick to it, its nice having company  :yesnod:

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: Stevearino on February 10, 2015, 08:11:18 PMI was wondering what would sense the dawn/dusk. I don't have dual climate control so I might be missing the required sensor. I am o.k. with the lights the way they are though.

The sensor for the lights is the round thingie in the center of the top of the dash.
The one for the automatic climate control is also round, at the bottom of the dash, under the radio.

Ben

472 R/T SE

My mistake.  You need dual climate control for the headlight trick.

I can video the sound of my R/T if you wanna hear it w/o the suitcases.

Stevearino

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on February 10, 2015, 10:06:32 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on February 10, 2015, 08:11:18 PMI was wondering what would sense the dawn/dusk. I don't have dual climate control so I might be missing the required sensor. I am o.k. with the lights the way they are though.

The sensor for the lights is the round thingie in the center of the top of the dash.
The one for the automatic climate control is also round, at the bottom of the dash, under the radio.

Ben
Yeah,I don't have that headlight sensor from the dash top. Climate controls are all apart right now so I don't know about the other sensor.
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 11, 2015, 03:44:33 PM
My mistake.  You need dual climate control for the headlight trick.

I can video the sound of my R/T if you wanna hear it w/o the suitcases.

Hell Yeah! I loves me some tail pipe video. :punkrocka: :punkrocka:

Daytona Guy

I am living vicariously through this build. It is a masterpiece. Pure art, craftsmanship and vision all wrapped up in the most awesome car ever :)

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on February 13, 2015, 01:14:58 AM
I am living vicariously through this build. It is a masterpiece. Pure art, craftsmanship and vision all wrapped up in the most awesome car ever :)

Dane
Wow Dane. If I loose my job I am definitely going to put you down for a reference.

Well . We have a saying at the shop I work in. "Our stuff is nice because we do it twice". Looks like I brought that mentality home. I had tried to use the 06 package tray cover and just extend the upper cover and it just didn't look right. Number one I picked the wrong covering which was a mottled gray. Number 2 because of all of the baby harness pick up points the cover sat way too high in the window. I cut all of those out so that I could lay a new panel made out of masonite a little flatter. I used a bit of sheet metal to transition the top panel to the vertical and drilled some sound holes in the top. I also put some 10/24 threaded studs in the sub structure so that I could mount the speakers from the bottom. They were top mount speakers but if they ever went bad the new rear glass would prevent removal.

Stevearino

On the same note of redoing stuff I realized after I made my "A" post covers that they were crowding the attachment points for the sun visors. No problem. I just moved the attachment points inboard a little.  I should have started with the driver side as that worked fine on the passenger side. On the driver side with the rear view mirror angled towards you the visor would not come down. :slap: So I move the attachment points back out. Now I had to make new "A" post covers that laid flatter against the "A"post. After a lot of head scratching I looked at the "B" post covers from the 06 and cut out some new ones. After a bit of carving and some reshaping with a heat gun I got lucky and they fit pretty good. The added feature is I was able to eliminate the small transition piece from the "A" to the door seal trim.

Stevearino

Here is a picture of the old left side cover and the new replacement cover.

tan top

:coolgleamA: clever stuff  :2thumbs:  ..... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Daytona Guy

I am a student of art, and my favorite story, that I read in school, was when Michelangelo had finished one of his sculptures he threw his chisel at it and yelled, "Why don't you speak?". He was a true artist - creator. Your car will speak, just don't throw a wrench at it.

Dane

djcarguy

WOW STEVE page 37 half way down an bottom of page with nose an spoiler on are awsume an will stand out at any show or drive as STeves car.. :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs: DJ out in sunny froxen west coast..great stuff steve enjoy following progress. :2thumbs:

Patronus

Black wheels for me please.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Stevearino

Quote from: djcarguy on February 24, 2015, 12:05:19 PM
 WOW STEVE page 37 half way down an bottom of page with nose an spoiler on are awsume an will stand out at any show or drive as STeves car.. :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs: DJ out in sunny froxen west coast..great stuff steve enjoy following progress. :2thumbs:
That's just a mock up  DJ. I am not sure about the size an shape just yet.

Quote from: Patronus on February 26, 2015, 08:31:33 PM
Black wheels for me please.  :Twocents:
The one thing about wheels  that is good is that other than the money spent you can unbolt them and try something else if you get a notion to.

After laying off of the project for a couple of weeks due to some late nights at work I finally got back on it this week end. I finally got the right side door skinned  and fit up. I also made the mount for the right side mirror. Not a lot,  but some progress.

Stevearino

Well after a busier than normal (I hope) week at work I managed to do some tinkering this weekend. I pulled the rear resonator assemblies off of the car mainly because they hung way to low and could be seen from the side like some afterburners.  I am thinking these are not stock as all the pictures  I have seen are of what they call "suitcase resonators". Anyway these are too large to tuck up under the quarters so I will have to do without them or find something smaller. I was hesitant to cut the tail pipe tips up into the roll pan but they just looked too large hanging below the pan.  I ended up liking how they look.

Daytona Guy

Are you rounding your edges for the cut outs for the exhaust tips? I always feel that when some do this they don't round the metal enough where it looks like someone just cut the metal with a saw.

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on March 08, 2015, 07:20:22 PM
Are you rounding your edges for the cut outs for the exhaust tips? I always feel that when some do this they don't round the metal enough where it looks like someone just cut the metal with a saw.

Dane
Not sure if I understand what you mean but it is not just a cut out. There is another piece of metal welded to the openings to finish out around the exhaust tips. Kind of hard to see it with the tips in place.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Stevearino on March 08, 2015, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: Daytona Guy on March 08, 2015, 07:20:22 PM

Dane
Not sure if I understand what you mean but it is not just a cut out. There is another piece of metal welded to the openings to finish out around the exhaust tips. Kind of hard to see it with the tips in place.

Yes, that is what I meant. Rounding gives depth. I am just in awe of what I see you do. 1st class!

Dane

Stevearino

I was wanting to get back to finishing the fabrication work on the front end of the car so I had to do a few things first. As you may know this car was hit on the right front. I replaced all of the damaged components. I then loosened the 4 bolts that hold the engine cradle to the front clip and rotated it until I got the wheel base correct. Then I built some elephant stands on my car dollies so that I was able to do a quick wheel alignment using the tires and wheels I will eventually put on the car. With everything straightened out I can move ahead with the front end fabrication. Also in the "do over" department I had to cut both rear wheel openings back another 1/2" because of some clearance issues. This meant re doing the inner wheel closures.

lukedukem

Will that be your actual ride height for the rear as well?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Stevearino

Quote from: lukedukem on March 15, 2015, 06:36:20 PM
Will that be your actual ride height for the rear as well?

Luke

It might sit a little lower once the weight of the interior and glass is all in but that's pretty much where it will sit.

Indygenerallee

Steve, it's looking better each time I see it!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 16, 2015, 10:17:09 AM
Steve, it's looking better each time I see it!  :2thumbs:
Noticed you are off the Facebook. You goin' underground or what?