News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevearino on March 16, 2015, 04:54:01 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 16, 2015, 10:17:09 AM
Steve, it's looking better each time I see it!  :2thumbs:
Noticed you are off the Facebook. You goin' underground or what?

he needs too  LOL
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

Steve, yeah deleted my FB account found myself wasting too much time on it.  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

So as winter gives way to spring I have been a little distracted by trying to get my property in order and then dodging in and tinkering on the car when I can. I have been working on finishing the front end fabrication. Currently I am trying to finish out the left front fender ,all of the attachment points and alignments. I fabricated a panel out of .040 aluminum to close out from the nose to the plastic inner wheel tub. I also fabricated and welded up an inner lip on the wheel opening to marry to the plastic wheel tub.

Stevearino

I also found some time to fabricate the fender top outlets. Here is a couple of views of how they worked out so far.

Baldwinvette77

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

oldcarnut

This is like a great movie that keeps ya interested all the way through  :2thumbs:  Now take me to school on those spike thingys.  What are they and how do they work?

Stevearino

Quote from: oldcarnut on March 29, 2015, 11:39:59 PM
This is like a great movie that keeps ya interested all the way through  :2thumbs:  Now take me to school on those spike thingys.  What are they and how do they work?

They are called Clecos and they have been used in the aircraft industry forever. They are great for temporarily locating and holding panels in place. I will try to upload a picture for you tonight but you drill an 1/8th inch hole in the two panels and with a special pair of pliers you compress a spring in the cleco that narrows the tip so that is slips through the hole. When you release the pliers it retracts and holds the two panels together. They are like peanuts. You can never have enough.

oldcarnut

Daytona Guy

I posted this on my thread - but I noticed you had guys posting their flip up headlights. These are my custom made cast aluminum headlight doors - they only have to open 4 inches. Hope the link works...

http://youtu.be/AbIVRGSOcQU

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on March 30, 2015, 10:48:49 PM
I posted this on my thread - but I noticed you had guys posting their flip up headlights. These are my custom made cast aluminum headlight doors - they only have to open 4 inches. Hope the link works...

http://youtu.be/AbIVRGSOcQU

Dane
Pretty sweet set up Dane. They look a lot cooler than the bug eyes.

Stevearino

The last couple of weekends have been spent working on the modifications to the right side fender and finalizing the attachment points for the fenders and the nose. While I still have a lot of knick knacks to take care of I am pretty happy with the way it is starting to shape up. I also lopped off 2 1/2 " from the length of the front air dam. It was WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!! too big.

For anyone who is curious about how I went about shaping the fender scoops there are a couple of tools that I used that are kind of specialty to the metal working trade.  More than a few here will have heard about them but for those of you who have not. The blue tool on the floor stand is an Eckold shrinker /stretcher. Brand new this is a pretty pricey tool. About $3500.00 but I got lucky and a guy at work wanted rid of his and I paid about half of that. It has two sets of heads. With one set when you place a piece of metal in the jaws and push the arm down it grips the metal and spreads it apart. That would be the stretching operation. The other as the name would imply grips the metal and forces it to bunch together. There are cheaper models of which I have a set and they are great for shaping metal flanges of no more than 1" but to get in deeper to a piece  you need this set up.  The other tool is the English wheel. This is an inexpensive model ( $2500.00) that works for most applications.  In the hands of someone who has used it for years you can form some really elaborate panels. This device stretches the metal by placing the metal between two rolling steel wheels and cranking up the pressure on the metal between the dies. As you roll the metal back and forth between the dies it spreads the metal out.  I am using it here mostly just to smooth the part out.

cdr

I like the longer air dam FER RACIN!!! but the shorter version looks much better, it's not the focal point now, it blends in very well with the rest of the car.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Baldwinvette77

If this isnt in several magazines after completion im starting a riot, just saying  :popcrn:

Stevearino

Quote from: cdr on April 12, 2015, 04:10:12 PM
I like the longer air dam FER RACIN!!! but the shorter version looks much better, it's not the focal point now, it blends in very well with the rest of the car.

You know Charlie I had pictured this car looking as close to the Nascar version of this car as possible but as big as that air dam was it just wasn't gonna work. :shruggy:

Quote from: tan top on April 12, 2015, 04:41:10 PM
:2thumbs: nice  :coolgleamA: :popcrn:

Thanks Tan Top.
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 12, 2015, 06:37:32 PM
If this isnt in several magazines after completion im starting a riot, just saying  :popcrn:

Well you might as well start loading up the molotov cocktails because if it is anything like any of my other ventures thus far I will be lucky to hear crickets when it's done. Also you gotta know that I am not gonna be pulling the motor and jazzing up the engine compartment or putting mirrors under this thing. That's the kind of thing that people want to see in magazines. That and open checkbook builds where everything is CNC'd out of a single block of billet aluminum but thanks for the enthusiasm anyway Baldwinvette77 . It is always appreciated.

ACUDANUT

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Stevearino on April 12, 2015, 07:18:23 PM
Quote from: cdr on April 12, 2015, 04:10:12 PM

You know Charlie I had pictured this car looking as close to the Nascar version of this car as possible but as big as that air dam was it just wasn't gonna work. :shruggy:

Quote from: tan top on April 12, 2015, 04:41:10 PM
:2thumbs: nice  :coolgleamA: :popcrn:

Thanks Tan Top.
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 12, 2015, 06:37:32 PM

Well you might as well start loading up the molotov cocktails because if it is anything like any of my other ventures thus far I will be lucky to hear crickets when it's done. Also you gotta know that I am not gonna be pulling the motor and jazzing up the engine compartment or putting mirrors under this thing. That's the kind of thing that people want to see in magazines. That and open checkbook builds where everything is CNC'd out of a single block of billet aluminum but thanks for the enthusiasm anyway Baldwinvette77 . It is always appreciated.

Perhaps the reason mags seem to dying off is their choice of cars to feature. Personally I wouldn't know, haven't bought any car mags for years.

I've yet to see anything displayed over mirrors that interested me......and I possibly am allergic to CNCed billet aluminum. :yesnod:

Your car on the other hand......likely I'd be checking it out longer then you'd want and you'd be thinking "how do I get away from this pest?" :shruggy:

Stevearino

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 12, 2015, 10:49:13 PM
:2thumbs:

Thanks for the thumbs up ACUDANUT.
Quote from: dyslexic teddybear

/quote]

Perhaps the reason mags seem to dying off is their choice of cars to feature. Personally I wouldn't know, haven't bought any car mags for years.

I've yet to see anything displayed over mirrors that interested me......and I possibly am allergic to CNCed billet aluminum. :yesnod:

Your car on the other hand......likely I'd be checking it out longer then you'd want and you'd be thinking "how do I get away from this pest?" :shruggy:

[/quote]

Pestering is what is all about.  I don't get these guys who bring their cars to car shows and then run you off when you ask them questions. What the heck is up with that.  :shruggy: I have seen it more than once. Usually a small group of guys in a huddle and you being a stranger they act like you just asked them if it would be alright to egg their car. :shruggy:

myk

Those are the guys who are into the hobby for the only reason of stroking their own vanity and ego.  If they truly cared about the hobby they would share their thoughts, experiences and knowledge to broaden the culture; clearly they're just there for the plastic trophy and their own personal glory.  F 'em...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68pplcharger

thedodgeboys

Your building a great car  :cheers:

Your could easily be magazine material, you will just have to take it to them to be photographed.. Meaning show up at the events they are attending and get lucky enough to get noticed.

Those mirror guys don't drive there cars no way to keep them that clean.

I may have missed it but what color will it be when painted?

Stevearino

Quote from: myk on April 13, 2015, 05:22:41 AM
Those are the guys who are into the hobby for the only reason of stroking their own vanity and ego.  If they truly cared about the hobby they would share their thoughts, experiences and knowledge to broaden the culture; clearly they're just there for the plastic trophy and their own personal glory.  F 'em...
:iagree:
Quote from: 68pplcharger on April 13, 2015, 10:46:19 AM
Looking good  :2thumbs:

Hows that ride of yours coming along?

Quote from: thedodgeboys on April 14, 2015, 04:51:56 AM
Your building a great car  :cheers:

Your could easily be magazine material, you will just have to take it to them to be photographed.. Meaning show up at the events they are attending and get lucky enough to get noticed.

Those mirror guys don't drive there cars no way to keep them that clean.

I may have missed it but what color will it be when painted?

Thanks for the compliment.  I intend to make it a subtle two tone of Charcoal on top and  Gun Metal grey on the sides.

68pplcharger

QuoteHows that ride of yours coming along?

Coming along very well Stevearino thanks for asking. I will be painting it starting the 24th of this month. Can't wait...  :cheers:

Highbanked Hauler

Steve, that front spoiler is killer, cleaner than clean, your not going to change it are you ?

The wheel lip of your fenders are excellent, how did you put them in or did I miss it ?  When I did the flares on my fenders I hammer and dollied  them but the metal got tight at about 45 degrees and I didn't have heat to move it further so I had to let it go at that.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser