News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 06, 2015, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on May 06, 2015, 07:43:41 PM
Looks like by the time I get this done it will be old hat.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/07/meet-the-coroner-dodge-coronet-charger-srt8/
theres 3 others i know of a road runner and another charger

http://www.westcoastclassicinc.com/1969-road-runner-srt8/

i would like to do one some day with another members 68 coronet, i've always liked the 68/69 plymouths and coronets  :drool5:

I watched that Road Runner go together. The did a really nice job on it. Some real pros there.

I like the way he got the Coronet  down on the ground with that air ride suspension. Nice to know that option is out there and works.

Charger-Bodie

The only thing that stuck out to me on the road runner is that they should have blacked out the pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers.....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 06, 2015, 08:31:01 PM
The only thing that stuck out to me on the road runner is that they should have blacked out the pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers.....

Yeah i can see what you mean  :eek2:

71_Charger_R/T

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/07/meet-the-coroner-dodge-coronet-charger-srt8/

OLD HAT???  I'd say "Tried and true" or Wave of the Future! This stuff never gets "old hat"  I love this build!  You're a trendsetter! It's a great idea! Remember, you're one man pulling this off! These others are shops that have a number of people working on multiple things all at once! If you could clone yourself x 5, you would have had yours done in one month! 
My "old hat" is off to YOU sir!

Stevearino

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on May 07, 2015, 09:55:06 AM

OLD HAT???  I'd say "Tried and true" or Wave of the Future! This stuff never gets "old hat"  I love this build!  You're a trendsetter! It's a great idea! Remember, you're one man pulling this off! These others are shops that have a number of people working on multiple things all at once! If you could clone yourself x 5, you would have had yours done in one month! 
My "old hat" is off to YOU sir!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. The thing I have learned over the years is that no matter how unique or original you think your ideas are there are tons of like minded individuals out there probably doing the same thing inspired by the same factors. I actually love finding these projects and seeing how they have dealt with the same problems or how they have improved the ideas. Keeps it interesting.
[/quote]

ACUDANUT

Keep it going Steve, your almost done.  :cheers:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Stevearino

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 07, 2015, 05:58:20 PM
Keep it going Steve, your almost done.  :cheers:

Thanks ACUDANUT. Feels like one foot forward two back but I will get there.

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 08, 2015, 07:14:30 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the thumbs up BigBlockSam.

I finally got all of the fabrication work done to the front fenders. I had to scrap the fender scoops that I had made after looking at some better pictures I hadn't got the shape quite right. I made and fitted the right side on the car. I removed both fenders to finish out the fabrication in the back side. I then lined them up side by side so that I could build the left side to match as close as possible to the right.  
I removed the fender / nose front brace to finish up welding it and cleaning it up so that I could paint it.
I still have to fit everything back to finish some fab work on the nose. For now though I have hopped back into the car to try to build the head liner next. We will see how that goes.

ACUDANUT

Your almost there. Don't want to rush things, but when do you think it's ready for paint ? :popcrn:

Stevearino

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 11, 2015, 01:25:03 PM
Your almost there. Don't want to rush things, but when do you think it's ready for paint ? :popcrn:

Every time I think I am getting close the list gets longer . While I hope sometime in the late summer who knows how long the bondo work will take. Lots of blockin' whenever I get to it.  :eek2:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on May 11, 2015, 06:28:53 PM

Every time I think I am getting close the list gets longer . While I hope sometime in the late summer who knows how long the bondo work will take. Lots of blockin' whenever I get to it.  :eek2:

you could always leave it in bare steel and clear coat it  :coolgleamA:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 11, 2015, 11:37:24 PM

I guess that the pictures I post are not that good. There are more than a few places on this car that looks like a sack of walnuts.

Baldwinvette77

The pictures are fine, and see what you mean, but hey, Mad max is coming out this week, you'd fit right in  :2thumbs:

djcarguy

Looking great ,awesum work..  How about paint the jamms, window posts ,an inner panals?  get glass in an enjoy the summer then outer body work after some summer fun?? just an idea summer fun an testing then the pain of bondo an blocking it, after a summer break??  enjoy an please keep us posted  ,thanks .... latttter DJ :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 11, 2015, 11:37:24 PM

Not with bondo  :Twocents:

Stevearino

No shortcuts fella's. Just one foot in front of the other and get it all done what ever it takes. :yesnod:

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Stevearino on May 12, 2015, 05:47:22 PM
No shortcuts fella's. Just one foot in front of the other and get it all done what ever it takes. :yesnod:

That's what I keep telling myself as well. Where did you end up on the front spoiler ;)

ACUDANUT

Keep going forward. You will get there.  :cheers:

Stevearino

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 20, 2015, 01:52:58 PM

On reply 1036 on page 42 there is a picture of what the final mock up size will look like. It is about 3 inches shorter that the original mock up. It seems right.

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 20, 2015, 01:52:58 PM

Thanks ACUDANUT. Definitely don't want to quit now. It is starting to look like something.
No pics to post right now but I spent this past weekend crimped up in the interior looming wires up through the "A" posts for the courtesy, visor and map lights. Also the wiring for the fancy rear view mirror with a bunch of buttons on it for speaker phone and weather reports. Just what you need to go hot rodding. :lol:. I also finished running the wiring to the rear power windows and tucking all of that in. Lots and Lots of cursing because of all the crouching and and sitting on protrusions and fasteners. This is definitely the worst of the physical challenges so far. My case of O.L.D. seems to be getting worse.

rapidtransitrick

Stevearino

Quote from: rapidtransitrick on May 21, 2015, 03:34:50 PM
sweet build
Thanks rapidtransitrick.

As I had said in the last post I spent some time running the wiring harness for the overhead stuff through the
"A" posts and secured all that. This completes the wiring I had to re route so with all that in place I started on my headliner.

Stevearino

I kicked around how I was going to do the head liner and decided to make it in 3 pieces. I built a center over head console to house the map light assembly. The real reason for this center console is that it is a bit lower than the ceiling to the left and the right. This gives me an device to attach the left and right halves.
I thought about different materials but went with some .021 sheet metal as this is light and will allow me to get the shapes I want.

Stevearino

After I fit the upper console in the car I removed it to finish weld and add some pieces to the sides that will create a slot for the left and right ceiling panels to fit into. The material I used to make the edges is some Trex decking material . It mills easy and I used a router to ease the edges. Once it is covered it will have a rounded edge look.
With the console back up in place I started building the inner roof perimeter shaping it as I went. The job is complicated by the fact that I have to keep getting in and out of the car to fit the pieces up. This would be a lot more fun if I had the car upside down on a rotisserie.

69_Charger_RT

The cars looking great Steve  :cheers:  You are definitely going to be proud of the end product. I love watching your metal fabrication.   :drool5:

oldcarnut

Nice work.  I like your creativity  :2thumbs: