News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Opinions are welcome DJ. Problem comes when people express their opinions as if it were life and death. Something you have never done. :2thumbs:

Stevearino

I know it looks like I am posting the same pictures I just did but a lot has gone on since I last posted. I have blocked the entire car and polyester filled a ton of imperfections. So that took forever as I can only stand about 5 to 6 hours of that kind of workout.  :eek2: So I re primed the car and put another guide coat on. Time to block again. Hopefully I won't be finding to many more low spots.  I have been looking at a bunch of colors out in the wild but until you spray out a large sample it is hard to tell if they will work well together. I wanted to stay with Dodge late model colors but that did not work out. The sides will be an 04 Dodge Stratus color which is Graphite Metallic. The top will end up being a 2014 GM Color called Ashen Grey. It is near impossible to see from the pictures but the first two work pretty well with each other and the Graphite color is darker than it appears in the picture. I really wanted to use the third color down as it is a 2013 Dodge Challenger color but while it looks blackish /grey when it stands alone it appears dark redish /brown next to the Graphite Metallic. The last color which was a Toyota color called Magnetic Gray Metallic has a lot of red in it too so it did not work.

Daytona R/T SE

Hemi Runner

Wow, that thing is looking great! I can see the work that you've done. I wish I was to that stage with mine. Looks great :2thumbs:

djcarguy

AWSUM Super DAYTONA SRT Hemi Hauler.  lov the fit an lines,lite doors to nose an nose to fenders an hood,waaaaayyyyyyyyy better fit than the creative guys did.  Any idea bout doing another Daytona clone??  ??  

wish i lived closer an could hire you to customize the back glass an s-bird nose i have for my dart-tona custom.  do ya still have the 68 unibody??  just thinking in overdrive ,a bare bones daytona stock car or setback engine drag car??   have you ran across any charger roofs or other shells??

did some measuring of my naybers 08 ish charger R/t an it looks like the rear glass wood work to smooth an flow air better on my project.

Your daytona in looking awesum.   :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 28, 2015, 07:10:10 PM
Looking good. :2thumbs:
Thanks Daytona R/T SE. Can't wait to see more on the blue beauty I hope you have hemmed up in your new shop.

Quote from: Hemi Runner on November 28, 2015, 07:11:05 PM
Wow, that thing is looking great! I can see the work that you've done. I wish I was to that stage with mine. Looks great :2thumbs:
Thanks Hemi Runner. You are moving really quick on yours. You should be painting in no time. Then that thing is gonna be a beast. :2thumbs:

Quote from: djcarguy on November 28, 2015, 08:03:32 PM
  AWSUM Super DAYTONA SRT Hemi Hauler.  lov the fit an lines,lite doors to nose an nose to fenders an hood,waaaaayyyyyyyyy better fit than the creative guys did.  Any idea bout doing another Daytona clone??  ?? 

wish i lived closer an could hire you to customize the back glass an s-bird nose i have for my dart-tona custom.  do ya still have the 68 unibody??  just thinking in overdrive ,a bare bones daytona stock car or setback engine drag car??   have you ran across any charger roofs or other shells??

did some measuring of my naybers 08 ish charger R/t an it looks like the rear glass wood work to smooth an flow air better on my project.

Your daytona in looking awesum.   :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs:
DJ. I have my hands full trying to finish up this piece so I haven't thought about anything else beyond this for now. I have let the house go for the last 3 years while doing this so that will be next. Not exciting I know but needs some TLC.  If you are considering that 08 backglass I would measure it and make sure it will do. It is a whole lot bigger than you might think. Definitely a lot wider than would fit between the sail panels of a gen 2 Charger.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on November 28, 2015, 08:24:24 PM
Thanks Daytona R/T SE. Can't wait to see more on the blue beauty.

:2thumbs:  Watch my thread for updates.

I'm waiting on a few parts right now...

And...

The Ol' lady has reminded me, once again...

"You P-R-O-M-I-S-E-D me a new kitchen" !

Ummm... :scratchchin:

Bullshit... :icon_smile_angry:

When did I promise THAT ? :shruggy:

"1993"

Oops.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :eek2:

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 28, 2015, 10:41:57 PM

:2thumbs:  Watch my thread for updates.

And...

"1993"

Oops.

Just make sure if you said that you would do it when you got around to it that she does'nt hand you one of these.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on November 29, 2015, 07:50:21 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 28, 2015, 10:41:57 PM

:2thumbs:  Watch my thread for updates.

And...

"1993"

Oops.

Just make sure if you said that you would do it when you got around to it that she does'nt hand you one of these.

;)

thehemikid

Stevearino

Quote from: thehemikid on November 29, 2015, 02:48:02 PM
I have one of those.

Well apparently that is the key to getting a lot done.  ;)

dyslexic teddybear

I've had one of those for years........must have built up some immunity......because it isn't working very well now..... :rotz:

Looking good Steve :2thumbs:

[patiently waiting to see how it sets when it's on ground][and painted] :popcrn:

XH29N0G

I married one of those (last name is Tuit) :icon_smile_big:, and she has one of those wooden discs too :nana:.

Guess I should stay on topic though.  The build has been a joy to watch.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

hotrod98

What made you decide to go with a nose closer in appearance to a Superbird nose?   I'm altering my steel Daytona nose like that for my F&F clone simply because the F&F Daytona has the Superbird style nose.   Just curious. 

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Quote from: XH29N0G on November 29, 2015, 05:14:21 PM
I married one of those (last name is Tuit) :icon_smile_big:, and she has one of those wooden discs too :nana:.

Guess I should stay on topic though.  The build has been a joy to watch.
Thanks for the encouragement XH29NOG

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear

[patiently waiting to see how it sets when it's on ground
[and painted] :popcrn:

Dyslexic teddybear I hope your patience doesn't run out. I know mine is running a little thin with all this blocking. :eek2:

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 30, 2015, 01:22:03 AM
What made you decide to go with a nose closer in appearance to a Superbird nose?   I'm altering my steel Daytona nose like that for my F&F clone simply because the F&F Daytona has the Superbird style nose.   Just curious.  
hotrod98 I was always bugged by the fact that the Charger had in my opinion the better looking body of the two aero cars but got shortchanged on the nose styling because it was rushed into production. I always admired the much more refined Superbird nose with the grill tucked underneath. So when I decided to do this project I wanted to add those little touches that I thought got missed with the real deal. I see you have your car on the ground and are inching towards starting on it. I can't wait to see it progress. I know you are going to modify the Daytona nose but isn't the Superbird nose taller. I think this is why they were able to shorten the nose so much on the F&F Charger. It looks like a straight back modification where the Daytona is more of a taper. Just curious. I haven't measured a Superbird nose. That's just what it looks like to me in pictures.

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on November 30, 2015, 12:52:37 PM
nice work steeve  :cheers:

Thanks again XS29L9B2.

Quote from: tan top on November 30, 2015, 12:58:30 PM

:2thumbs:  looking awesome  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Appreciate the thumbs up as always Tan Top.

hotrod98

I agree. In my opinion,the Superbird nose looks much better than the Daytona nose.

My plan is to cut the steel Daytona nose up and alter it as needed to make it look right. I'll weld it to the fenders and finish it out as a one piece front end. The nose will be 12" further back than stock. I won't actually cut 12" off of the fender but will remove the headlamp mounting panel and cut the fender so that it will overlap inside the nose for more strength.  I'm not too concerned about cutting the fenders but I don't look forward to cutting the hood. I already altered the deck lid other than the front lip which I'll do once the Dutchman is in place. I've also partially cut and stripped the vega plug to save time later.

I have thought about selling my aluminum Daytona wing that Dane built for me and buying a fiberglass Janek bird wing and shortening it to 20".  I had planned on just shortening the Daytona wing but it's hollow and that might make it a difficult procedure. Besides the wing on the F&F car is a shortened bird wing.

My car is on the lift now. I'll remove the suspension as soon as I get some extra time and place the body on the body cart. I won't place it on the rotisserie until the body mods and mini tubs are finished.
I'm watching several builds and stealing a few ideas as I go along.

It's so much more enjoyable building this wingcar than it was building and restoring the last few. I get bored building original wingcars and close to original clones. With this car I can do anything that pleases me and don't have to worry about correctness.  People around here are used to seeing my non original real Superbird so this car won't surprise them much at all.

Charles Addams

Stevearino

Hotrod98    Definitely fun to play around with the great raw materials these wing cars provide. Also fun to add your own tweaks. You have definitely payed your dues building your share of exact replicas and Black Ice is proof that going off with your own ideas gets great results. Like I said I can't wait to watch the project proceed. :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I wish I could take the credit for the cool factor of the Black Ice bird but truth be told all I did was freshen the interior and paint and added the black steelies. Tom Ferry is the cool dude that created Black Ice.

Charles Addams

Stevearino

Well I just made the old wallet a little sadder. :rotz: Not really ready for any color yet but I decided to get what I need. Turns out that is a lot of stuff these days.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

71_Charger_R/T

Good choice!  You'll like the "Chroma" products. They're nice to spray! At least that's my two cents.  :Twocents:

Patronus

Looks like a lot of work to me. I'm not the gun man, but I'm right there in the booth the whole time. (I also do all the mixing)
I remember the Charger was a bear to paint. It's big and wide. We just did an E-body and it was still a bitch. I can't imagine painting all the extra 'tona bits. Lots of sweat for sure.
Keep up the great work
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE