News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why doesn't it fit?

Started by Fred, October 21, 2013, 10:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

Quote from: hawkeye on October 22, 2013, 08:47:37 PM
Quote from: Fred on October 22, 2013, 08:34:37 PM
hawkeye, the number on my motor is 2889982. So would this be what I need or are there other options?
You either have to get a complete crank like this to go with your motor or covert to the newer motors (116 or 033) with the 273 crank.  Kim said the wiring is the same and they are completely interchangeable were they hook to the wiper arms.

From this I am learning that the output shaft is not the same for all three speed wiper assembly's.  Is this the case?  (116 or 033). Are their others?

twodko

Problematic to be sure but the "cool" aspect of this dilemma...........priceless.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

hawkeye

Quote from: Fred on October 22, 2013, 08:58:35 PM
:2thumbs:

Are you following all this Bryan?  :icon_smile_big:
I am afraid Bryan has forgotten more than I will ever know about Mopars.  The only reason I am schooled on this is I have a 68 with this bell crank and I called Kim.  She said that the 2nd gen chargers could only have 3 different cranks on the 3 speed wipers.

Fred

Quote from: twodko on October 22, 2013, 09:12:35 PM
Problematic to be sure but the "cool" aspect of this dilemma...........priceless.

You can say that again........it's costing me a small fortune  :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

So...do I go out to the garage tomorrow and look at the rest of my motors?

yer call Fred...let me know how to proceed

Bryan

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 22, 2013, 10:05:00 PM
So...do I go out to the garage tomorrow and look at the rest of my motors?

yer call Fred...let me know how to proceed

Bryan

Yes please.
PM sent Bryan.

A383Wing

OK Fred..here's the news.....I went out and checked all my motors, 2spd, 3spd, & variable speed....all have the levers still on them. I have only 2 of the levers as pictured above in my post...that have the long opening and both have the bushing on the lever stud...and I could not get the bushing off. Both these levers have the same part number and both came off wiper motor #2770147. I do not have any plastic bushings or springs...evidently I was not smart enough to save all that little stuff back then.

you decide on what you wanna do

Bryan

ws23rt

I'm still interested in the rest of the story.

In reply 3 pic #1 shows a square drive output shaft on the wiper assembly. (three speed or variable speed?)

Fred has a wiper assy. that has the rectangular shaped out put shaft.

Is one the variable speed vs 3 speed?  Or is there a longer answer to the differences? :scratchchin:

A383Wing

I don't see any pictures in "reply #3" and I made that reply  :shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on October 23, 2013, 05:53:17 PM

Sorry--your reply #11---first pic  :slap:---I'm slipping a little every day.   My Gf says I have dementia ---I think I used to know what that is :shruggy:

fy469rtse

Fred,
are you replacing your wiper motor, is that why you have lever off, every motor I have had rebuilt for my cars was done by passion for mopars, contact them for linkages , I had to on current car as was a rolling shell and was 3 speed wipers, kim was a great help getting the correct linkage more importantly the bushing in good condition, not reproduced as yet

A383Wing

Quote from: ws23rt on October 23, 2013, 06:28:46 PM

Sorry--your reply #11---first pic  :slap:---I'm slipping a little every day.   My Gf says I have dementia ---I think I used to know what that is :shruggy:

OK...those pictures are of my wiper motors here at the house. I have all variable speed motors from 66 & 67 Chargers that I parted out decades ago...plus & have a couple 2 speed motors from a few 67's that went away as well. The first pic in post #11 shows lever still attached, it's not a "square" hole, there is a rounded end to one side of the square. The last 2 pics are showing a longer "rectangular" style hole in the lever, which mates with the same longer shaft on the wiper motors, which is the same dimensions as what Fred posted as well. Also note that the longer rectangular hole also has 2 rounded edges in the slot...

I have not parted out anything newer than 67 in my life...so I know these wiper motors are from 66 & 67 "B" body cars

Bryan

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on October 23, 2013, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on October 23, 2013, 06:28:46 PM

OK...those pictures are of my wiper motors here at the house. I have all variable speed motors from 66 & 67 Chargers that I parted out decades ago...plus & have a couple 2 speed motors from a few 67's that went away as well. The first pic in post #11 shows lever still attached, it's not a "square" hole, there is a rounded end to one side of the square. The last 2 pics are showing a longer "rectangular" style hole in the lever, which mates with the same longer shaft on the wiper motors, which is the same dimensions as what Fred posted as well. Also note that the longer rectangular hole also has 2 rounded edges in the slot...

I have not parted out anything newer than 67 in my life...so I know these wiper motors are from 66 & 67 "B" body cars

Bryan

This is what I was asking about.  I know the holes are not sq corner.  I said sq vs rectangular to be shorter in description.

So I still wonder about the difference.  Are they both three speed?  Is one a variable speed?  If so which one?

Fred

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 23, 2013, 06:36:12 PM
Fred,
are you replacing your wiper motor, is that why you have lever off, every motor I have had rebuilt for my cars was done by passion for mopars, contact them for linkages , I had to on current car as was a rolling shell and was 3 speed wipers, kim was a great help getting the correct linkage more importantly the bushing in good condition, not reproduced as yet

Thanks mate.

A383Wing

Quote from: ws23rt on October 23, 2013, 07:23:16 PM

So I still wonder about the difference.  Are they both three speed?  Is one a variable speed?  If so which one?

I'm pretty sure they are variable speed...all came from 66 & 67 Chargers...there was no "3spd option" back then

but, I have heard that 3spd & variable speed wiper motors will interchange....up until now that is

AKcharger

It's almost like 40 years ago the part designers thought "hey lets use different parts to really, really, really give restorers in the future a HUGE headache!"  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

JB400

Quote from: AKcharger on October 25, 2013, 10:54:42 AM
It's almost like 40 years ago the part designers thought "hey lets use different parts to really, really, really give restorers in the future a HUGE headache!"  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
And do this every year with no interchange   :slap:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 25, 2013, 11:10:24 AM
Quote from: AKcharger on October 25, 2013, 10:54:42 AM
It's almost like 40 years ago the part designers thought "hey lets use different parts to really, really, really give restorers in the future a HUGE headache!"  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
And do this every year with no interchange   :slap:

Yeah and it's not like I can just take it back to the store I bought it from.   :down:

fy469rtse

Sorry Fred checked through my photos to my 68 I had restored, but I couldn't see the part numbers, google passion for mopars , Kim usually has a lot of photos up on her website, also regularly has wiper motors on ebay with multiple photos

Fred

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 30, 2013, 04:27:37 AM
Sorry Fred checked through my photos to my 68 I had restored, but I couldn't see the part numbers, google passion for mopars , Kim usually has a lot of photos up on her website, also regularly has wiper motors on ebay with multiple photos

Thanks fy, I've already consulted with Kim and have got it all sorted.  :2thumbs:

hawkeye

A383Wing

ws23rt

JB400