News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why doesn't it fit?

Started by Fred, October 21, 2013, 10:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Ok, Here's the deal. I thought I bought the correct linkage. Imagine my surprise when I tried to mount it to the wiper motor without success. Seems the slot isn't long enough. Will modifying the slot to make it fit work or will that cause problems?
Going by the numbers on the wiper motor,  I thought it was for a 68/69......did I get it wrong?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

that almost looks like a transmission shift lever to me........

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 21, 2013, 11:00:23 PM
that almost looks like a transmission shift lever to me........

Hang on Bryan, you didn't give me a chance to explain.  :lol:

A383Wing

I got some "correct" wiper linkage levers here...just sayin'

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 21, 2013, 11:16:06 PM
I got some "correct" wiper linkage levers here...just sayin'

But will it fit this motor?
I just bought this one off a member on the forum thinking it was right. Arrived today.

What's the number on your linkage Bryan?

A383Wing

I'll look tomorrow....it's past my bedtime here....

that lever ain't gonna work on that motor

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 21, 2013, 11:29:54 PM
I'll look tomorrow....it's past my bedtime here....

that lever ain't gonna work on that motor

:2thumbs:

charger Downunder

Is there two differant linkages one for a two speed and one for a three speed wiper motor.?
[/quote]

Fred

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 21, 2013, 11:54:21 PM
Is there two differant linkages one for a two speed and one for a three speed wiper motor.?

Yes there are. The one I wanted and bought is for a 3 speed which is why I'm baffled. According to my research it should have been perfect. Go figure.   :pullinghair:

Bob T

Quote from: Fred on October 21, 2013, 11:59:20 PM

Yes there are. The one I wanted and bought is for a 3 speed which is why I'm baffled. According to my research it should have been perfect. Go figure.   :pullinghair:

Maybe some dude just put the wrong one in a box  :shruggy: I took back a harmonic balancer back last week that wouldnt fit  :pity:
If you have to wait weeks, I'd file it, just me though.
Anyway, hey, how's things where you are? Hope all is safe, I've seen coverage of the terrible bushfires around NSW on the news, 63! fronts on at once, that scary
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Fred

Quote from: Bob T on October 22, 2013, 12:14:01 AM
Quote from: Fred on October 21, 2013, 11:59:20 PM

Yes there are. The one I wanted and bought is for a 3 speed which is why I'm baffled. According to my research it should have been perfect. Go figure.   :pullinghair:

Maybe some dude just put the wrong one in a box  :shruggy: I took back a harmonic balancer back last week that wouldnt fit  :pity:
If you have to wait weeks, I'd file it, just me though.
Anyway, hey, how's things where you are? Hope all is safe, I've seen coverage of the terrible bushfires around NSW on the news, 63! fronts on at once, that scary

Unfortunately Kelvin I can't return the part because it came with the numbers I quoted on it. So it's not technically the sellers fault. I guess I'll be filing it.
Everything's fine here. The fires in NSW is bad news for sure, just terrible. All those homes lost not to mention wild life. It's all too sad. No fires here yet and hopefully none through the summer months either. Although I don't doubt it will burn somewhere thanks to these pyromaniacs.
It's a little wet here at present.....the charger won't stick it's nose out of the garage lol. Honestly, I got more driving done through winter than I have this spring.

A383Wing

Hey Fred....I think you got the wrong lever....just sayin'

Fred

Bryan
It's really hard to tell just by looking at the pics which one would fit.
I took some measurements and the slot in the 3 speed wiper motor crank arm has to measure 15.8mm x 9.6mm. So if you've got one with those measurements that should fit providing the cam post is correct.

Cheers, Fred

A383Wing

pic #2 has the small hole for wiper motor in pic #1..which has the same part number as the one you got if I'm reading it right.

Pic #4 has much longer slot for wiper motor in pic #3...which carry's a different part number...

Let me check the dimensions and get back to ya

A383Wing

Mine measures 15.8mm x 9.6mm.....but the one I have seems to have a brass bushing on the stub shaft that I cannot get off...if it comes off....I may have to look at my other wiper motors to see if I have another

Fred

pic 1 + 2 has a different part number to mine. Mine's 2822273 (not 2)

pic 3 + 4 the slot looks good providing it measures up but the cam post doesn't look right. It should look like the one in pic 1 + 2.

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 22, 2013, 06:05:45 PM
Mine measures 15.8mm x 9.6mm.....but the one I have seems to have a brass bushing on the stub shaft that I cannot get off...if it comes off....I may have to look at my other wiper motors to see if I have another

Bryan without the brass bushing that looks perfect. If it's only a brass bushing, it should come off.

ws23rt

I've been following this and am surprised that the output shaft from the wiper gear box is different between two of the pictures you are working with.

Yours Fred looks to be centered with the larger slot required to mount the lever.

One of your pics Brian has an output shaft offset from gearbox center and a smaller slot required.  This one looks as if it would move in an eccentric motion as well as rotation. I have one of those on the shelf that I looked at.

So this is news to me I thought all three speed wiper motor assemblies  were the same :shruggy:

A383Wing

ok...let me go out and dig all my wiper motors out of the shelf and look at every shaft...it will be tomorrow now....I tried to get the bushing off, but it would not move...I didn't try with a lot of force for fear of destroying the lever in-case it was a piece that is supposed to be there

yea..I see the part number difference you referred to..the 2 vs the 3 on the lever with smaller opening. Also note that the smaller opening one is not situated in the same relation to the larger one...looks like the larger one is parallel with the levers sides, the smaller one is turned a bit....

this is news to me as also, I thought all variable speed & 3-speed motors were the same as well

Bryan

Fred

Me too Bruce which is why I'm up shit creek now.  I thought I did my homework. Got the parts number and everything.

Thanks Bryan, much appreciated. If all else fails and you want to part with yours, I'll be happy to get the bushing off myself.

A383Wing

I'll send it to ya...you just pay the ride down .....let me look tomorrow and see if I have one without a bushing..i would hate to send this and you destroy it trying to get what appears to be a bushing off and it's not designed to be removed

patience grasshoppa...

hawkeye

These cranks use a different plastic bushing.  It is 2 piece with a spring in it.  The point and size of attachment to the wiper arm is the same as the 273.   You need to get the entire crank (with the 2 piece plastic part and spring) like 383 wing is showing you or get a motor that will fit a 273 crank.  According to Kim at Passion For Mopars, the 1st 68's had the same motor as the 67's (black and silver) then they went to the 982's with this crank and later ones had the same motors as the 69's and 70's, the 116's and 033's with the 273 crank.

Fred

hawkeye, the number on my motor is 2889982. So would this be what I need or are there other options?

hawkeye

Quote from: Fred on October 22, 2013, 08:34:37 PM
hawkeye, the number on my motor is 2889982. So would this be what I need or are there other options?
You either have to get a complete crank like this to go with your motor or covert to the newer motors (116 or 033) with the 273 crank.  Kim said the wiring is the same and they are completely interchangeable were they hook to the wiper arms.

Fred

:2thumbs:

Are you following all this Bryan?  :icon_smile_big: