News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

I started on the driveshaft loop/crossmember today. Using a press I oval a 2" section of 6" pipe and hammered the top half to match the shape of the driveshaft tunnel. With the loop clamped in place and using a 15" contour gauge (a must have tool) I made two cardboard pattern for the crossmember. With the cardboard center section of each pattern as wide as the square tubing (2") I was able to lay it over the tubing to get a precise line to cut with the plasma cutter. I still need to make the pattern for inside the tunnel above the loop before I can weld it to the floor.
Thanks
Pat

472 R/T SE

There's no way I can wait until you're finished before saying anything.  Pat, you have mad skills my friend, incredible!!!   :nana:

Dino

Unbelievably impressive.  Super awesome build.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keepat

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 10, 2016, 07:53:21 PM
There's no way I can wait until you're finished before saying anything.  Pat, you have mad skills my friend, incredible!!!   :nana:

Hi Mike, I hope to have the tail pipe from your fathers 77 low rider on my fathers low rider this spring and will send you a picture of the bike when done.
Thank you!
Pat
Quote from: Dino on January 10, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
Unbelievably impressive.  Super awesome build.   :2thumbs:

Thank you Dino!
Pat

WHITE AND RED 69

That's the coolest looking driveshaft loop ever!  :drool5:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

crj1968

:o   Wow man is this car going to SEMA or what??

Incredible work....I feel really lame when I see such skills on display.    :P

timmycharger

Amazing stuff continuing on here Pat, great job  :2thumbs:

Is that a magnetic Sharpie marker? Cool!  :yesnod:

keepat

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on January 11, 2016, 04:14:46 PM
That's the coolest looking driveshaft loop ever!  :drool5:

Thanks Clayton! I'm really happy with how it turned out, And I think it adds a lot of rigidity to the frame considering the modifications I made to the original crossmember.
Pat

Quote from: crj1968 on January 11, 2016, 04:31:10 PM
:o   Wow man is this car going to SEMA or what??

Incredible work....I feel really lame when I see such skills on display.    :P

SEMA would be cool, I doubt that would happen, but if it did I would definitely drive it back home!
Thank you!

Quote from: timmycharger on January 11, 2016, 06:34:37 PM
Amazing stuff continuing on here Pat, great job  :2thumbs:

Is that a magnetic Sharpie marker? Cool!  :yesnod:

A magnetic sharpie would really come in handy, but actually I took that photo sideways so that it would have the right perspective. ;-)
Thank you!
Pat

Patronus

I dream sometimes of working like this.
I've worked since I was 14 (45 now) with the passion.
Everyday I learn, "tricks on tricks" as they say..
Great job ol' boy.

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

keepat

Quote from: Patronus on January 11, 2016, 09:27:49 PM
I dream sometimes of working like this.
I've worked since I was 14 (45 now) with the passion.
Everyday I learn, "tricks on tricks" as they say..
Great job ol' boy.

Thank you sir!

keepat

The drive shaft loop/crossmember  is made and tack welded in place. Back to the torque boxes.
Thanks
Pat

Homerr

Not removeable?  Or a section of it?

keepat

Quote from: Homerr on January 13, 2016, 09:04:40 PM

No, it's welded in but I suppose if I ever had to remove I could cut the bottom loop off and fab up one that could be bolted in??

crj1968

Quote from: keepat on January 13, 2016, 09:10:23 PM
Quote from: Homerr on January 13, 2016, 09:04:40 PM

No, it's welded in but I suppose if I ever had to remove I could cut the bottom loop off and fab up one that could be bolted in??

I dunno Pat, seems you don't have the skills to fab up something like that.  ;)

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Patronus

Let's see some of the tools your using. Like the contours of the extended loop, is that all plasma cutter?
Then clean it up with 80g on a 90?
Do you do any leading? I think that's an area I would like to explore more of. I've heard about welding on rolled stock to body lines and then leading it to a point.. stuff like that.  :popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

keepat

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 14, 2016, 12:30:48 AM
Very nice Pat... WOW.

Thank you!

Quote from: Patronus on January 14, 2016, 01:23:08 AM
Let's see some of the tools your using. Like the contours of the extended loop, is that all plasma cutter?
Then clean it up with 80g on a 90?
Do you do any leading? I think that's an area I would like to explore more of. I've heard about welding on rolled stock to body lines and then leading it to a point.. stuff like that.  :popcrn:

Yes I cut all the metal for the drive shaft loop with the plasma cutter, most of it freehand.
I have used lead on other cars body panels but the drive shaft loop is all steel no lead. After welding the loop/crossmember to the frame rails I think I could pick up the car from the loop.
Thank
Pat

jaak

Very Nice work  :2thumbs:
This thread and Stevearino's SRT Daytona thread are the best on the web.

keepat

Quote from: jaak on January 14, 2016, 08:00:41 PM
Very Nice work  :2thumbs:
This thread and Stevearino's SRT Daytona thread are the best on the web.

Thank you Jason! But Stevearino's Daytona is on another level! His build is awesome!!!
Pat

phantom

This is SEMA material, no doubt  :yesnod:

Whenever i visit this thread, i see new solutions and awesome craftmanship! Wish i had the same skills  :scratchchin:

keepat

Finished up a few details on the front of the frame connectors today. Front torque boxes are next.
Thanks
Pat

orange383

That's a great way of closing that hole up. I never would have thought of leaving that long tab attached.  Good tip!
Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the torque boxes as I plan to add some to my '68 this year!

keepat

Fit and tack welded the right front torque box. Had to bend the US Car Tool torque box on an angle and added ΒΌ" along the floor side to get a good fit. Both sides will need the same alteration to fit correctly.

Thanks
Pat

mike69440

Your thread will serve as an excellent documentation record of your project.

Most Restro-Mods decrease the value of the car, as they are either starting from a wrecked hulk, don't turn out desirable or really functional, and are just one person's vision of what a Charger should be.

None of which applies to what you have done.

If you have not already done so, Please make sure you have download and back up this thread on a weekly basis.

I have not seen anything you have done that is not simply outstanding, well thought out and executed, particularly your chassis reinforcements.

If you ever sell, it should be worth big bucks.
However, Don't sell it!

keepat

Quote from: mike69440 on January 25, 2016, 01:41:29 PM
Your thread will serve as an excellent documentation record of your project.

Most Restro-Mods decrease the value of the car, as they are either starting from a wrecked hulk, don't turn out desirable or really functional, and are just one person's vision of what a Charger should be.

None of which applies to what you have done.

If you have not already done so, Please make sure you have download and back up this thread on a weekly basis.

I have not seen anything you have done that is not simply outstanding, well thought out and executed.

If you ever sell, it should be worth big bucks.
However, Don't sell it!

Mike,

I have no plans to sell this car so I'm not too worried about what the car will be worth.  You're right about most modified cars not being worth the money put into them, I'm hoping this will be the exception as I plan on keeping the exterior and interior completely original looking other than a very few small details like the wheels and the stance.  Thank you for your kind words and checking out the build.
Pat