News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

You attention to detail is amazing!!!!  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Gotta ask for the ignorance of me - I'm starting to work on my 73 Challenger project over on Andrews AFB and curious how your get the metal so clean and smooth? I assume an angle grinder with a sanding disc and then wipe down with paint thinner ?   

Clean metal is way easier to work with ---   Also are you using a MIG for all these welds ?  If so it's down right impressive!

I may just have to drop my Challenger off to you with a check for rear sheet metal replacement!    :nana:

Truely impressive work my friend
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

keepat

Quote from: Back N Black on February 20, 2016, 07:21:24 PM
You attention to detail is amazing!!!!  :2thumbs:

Thanks!

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 21, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
Gotta ask for the ignorance of me - I'm starting to work on my 73 Challenger project over on Andrews AFB and curious how your get the metal so clean and smooth? I assume an angle grinder with a sanding disc and then wipe down with paint thinner ?   

Clean metal is way easier to work with ---   Also are you using a MIG for all these welds ?  If so it's down right impressive!

I may just have to drop my Challenger off to you with a check for rear sheet metal replacement!    :nana:

Truely impressive work my friend

Do you get to keep and work on your Challenger on base? if so that is cool! I'm only about 35 minutes from AFB, if you get a chance you should drive over and I'll show you a good friends 72 Challenger that he had to replace most of the metal. it was his 1st car but sold and found 25 years later and restored.

Thanks
Pat

keepat

I've had a few people ask how I remove the paint, clean the metal and finish off the welds, so I thought I do little right up and some pictures on what has worked for me.

In the engine bay I have found a heat gun and wirewheel  on a drill works great removing  the paint and original primer from all the nooks and crannies. I like using a 12" quick change extension to hold the wire wheels. The advantage of the drill over a grinder is you can change the direction of the drill which allows the wirewheel to work more aggressively remove the paint and primer.  With the heat gun I blister about 6"x6" of paint and while it is still hot I use the wirewheel  to remove that section of paint, it goes quick and no fine dust.

Here is a before and after of the firewall using only the heat gun and wirewheel.

Here I'm welding over the wire harness plug hole. After tack welding the cover in place I grind down most of the welds before finishing the welding, this helps keep the heat down and make it easier to connect the weld as thickness of the metal is similar to the welds.

I like to use a 90 degree Die grinder with 2" 36 grit disc to take the welds down. Keep it moving and always use new disc when working small areas as worn disc will just heat the metal instead of cutting the weld down.  When the welds are mostly cut down you can hammer and dolly the panel flat and then finish off the leftover weld with a 60 grit disc.

Note before hammer and dolly the panel you will need to grind down the weld on the back side!

The last thing I do is use a 6" random orbital sander with a ¾" foam pad and 100 grit paper to clean the metal.
Thanks
Pat

70mopar500

The guy's are right Pat, I get all giddy when I see you're thread in the unread posts  :woohoo: i was showing my son your welds. Now you see it, now you don't I makes me want to tare mine back down and start over.  :lol: I don't recall what you are doing for a elec set up. Mine needs it all and I am torn on stock replacement or painless system
Rich 70 charger 500 440.  07 Ram Quad cab 1500 5.7 HEMI, 80 Camaro RS 350

Rolling_Thunder

Thanks for the write up brother!   Really useful

I keep my car right off base (finally got out of the dorms) so my work will begin in a 2 car garage.

I'll definitely drop by sometime and check out the car! :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

keepat

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 21, 2016, 05:48:21 PM
Thanks for the write up brother!   Really useful

I keep my car right off base (finally got out of the dorms) so my work will begin in a 2 car garage.

I'll definitely drop by sometime and check out the car! :2thumbs:

Here's a picture of the 72 after he spent the last 5 years restoring it

keepat

Quote from: 70mopar500 on February 21, 2016, 05:04:03 PM
The guy's are right Pat, I get all giddy when I see you're thread in the unread posts  :woohoo: i was showing my son your welds. Now you see it, now you don't I makes me want to tare mine back down and start over.  :lol: I don't recall what you are doing for a elec set up. Mine needs it all and I am torn on stock replacement or painless system

I get all giddy after posting the updates because it's usually at the end the day and it means I'm going to bed ;-)
I have yet to purchase a wiring harness yet as I'm hoping that the new American Autowire harness will be available soon for B bodes Mopar's.  I use their harness on my son's Mustang a few years back and I was very impressed with the harness and the connectors.  If it's not available by mid to late summer I may have to do some research on what others here have found to be a good wiring harness for a modified car?
Thank you for following the build and good luck with your project as well!
Par

garner7555

I ordered the American Autowire Highway 22 kit for my charger.  I know it's universal fit, but that also gives you extra wire length to hide the wiring on a build as clean as yours.    :2thumbs:    :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

keepat

Quote from: garner7555 on February 21, 2016, 09:38:57 PM
I ordered the American Autowire Highway 22 kit for my charger.  I know it's universal fit, but that also gives you extra wire length to hide the wiring on a build as clean as yours.    :2thumbs:    :Twocents:

I may go with the same kit but I would like to have new original looking connector at the headlights and tail lights. The longer wire is a must as the lights, fan, and horn wires will run along the outside left fender.
Thanks
Pat

Patronus

We're wiring up the Painless 22 Mopar version now. Also running up the fender well, etc.
Feed back is neutral. Apparently some circuits are combined that others may offer separate. For us this is a full LeD converison, adding about 8-9 circuits.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

keepat

The paint is removed and all the unused holes are welded up in the engine bay and ready for epoxy primer.
Thanks
Pat

keepat

I had a mold made of the front bumper guard mount so I could make a carbon-fiber version of it. The steel mount weighs about 6 lbs and the carbon-fiber replacement will weigh about 1 lbs. After I pull the 1st part I'll post a few pictures and if anyone is interested I could make a few more? I think I will paint mine black to look original but they could be left clear to show the carbon-fiber if you like?
Thanks
Pat

WHITE AND RED 69

That is looking sweet Pat! Great work! Are you going to make any other parts out of carbon fiber?

I'd be interested in a carbon fiber mount. How much you thinking for one?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

keepat

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 01, 2016, 04:54:32 PM
That is looking sweet Pat! Great work! Are you going to make any other parts out of carbon fiber?

I'm only going to make a few to cover the cost to make the mold and materials. I will know the price after the 1st part is pulled, but it should be about $165.00?? There are a few other parts I'm looking to make to help move the CG aft in this charger and this is the test part
Thanks
Pat

mike69440

Quote from: keepat on March 01, 2016, 05:22:09 PM

I'm only going to make a few to cover the cost to make the mold and materials. I will know the price after the 1st part is pulled, but it should be about $165.00?? There are a few other parts I'm looking to make to help move the CG aft in this charger and this is the test part
Thanks
Pat
Hollow front sway bar will take out some weight.

68RT440

I like the CF support brace. Great idea and it will look stock once painted black.
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

70mopar500

Part does that bow tie fit. 70 as well?
Rich 70 charger 500 440.  07 Ram Quad cab 1500 5.7 HEMI, 80 Camaro RS 350

b5blue

Yes my 70 has one, it had the bumper guards that attach to the holes in the bottom.  (I kept it but not the guards, adds some beef to the supports.)

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks
Pat

Count me in if you go through with em. I'm looking for ways to lighten up my tank.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

keepat

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 03, 2016, 08:00:25 PM

Thanks
Pat

Count me in if you go through with em. I'm looking for ways to lighten up my tank.  :2thumbs:

Cool! Should have the 1st one laid up and out of the oven this weekend!
Thanks
Pat

v21hemicharger

Thanks
Pat

I'll take one and any other CF parts like that.  Mike

keepat

Quote from: v21hemicharger on March 05, 2016, 03:30:47 AM

Thanks
Pat

I'll take one and any other CF parts like that.  Mike

Mike, awesome! I will keep you updated with the CF projects.
Thank You!
Pat

keepat

Not much to look yet the CF is all sealed up, vacuumed bagged and going in the oven for the next 24 hours At about  140°
Thanks
Pat

keepat

Boxed in the upper core support, amazing how much stronger it is now. I think I could pick the car up from it! I will use it run and hide the wires for the fans, horns, AC,  and lights.
Thanks
Pat

Made tool to roll the top edge of the core support right at 1"