News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

Jduv10007

Looking good and what a cool product.

alfaitalia

If mine finishes up 50% as good as your I will be happy!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

mike69440

You damn inner fender looks really close to a "Class A" finish!

A Lot of cars during the automotive dark days of the 70's & 80's did not look that good on the exterior panels!

keepat

I've been laid up for a few weeks with some hernia surgery but I use this downtime to work on modifying the woodgrain steering wheel for the car. I love the look of the woodgrain wheel but driving my silver charger it was never comfortable handling the steering wheel as it's so thin. So I decided to modify this wood wheel to have a much larger modern size grip. I did not want to enlarge the diameter of the wheel as there already a little large compared to modern cars so I moved the inner ring in by about 3/8 of an inch. To do this I had to cut the S/S inner ring at all three spokes and weld it smaller in diameter and then Cut a new slot in all three spokes to hold the ring in its new location. While I have the steering wheel out for re-plating the spokes I need to brainstorm how I'm going to remake the larger plastic wood grain handle??? Suggestions welcomed!
Thanks
Pat

Dino

Pat I have wanted to do this for several years now, I too want a thicker wheel rim without enlarging the diameter. My wheel is in very good shape though and I haven't found another wheel yet to experiment with. It's kinda low on the priority list as well. Anyway, I was going to use real wood for it. So I would get a chunk of wood bg enough to cut the circle out. Then cut it to fit around the rim and shape it from there.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WhiteOnGreen

Hi, Since my 68 Charger when bought the car , he had a pretty ugly for my taste Grant steering wheel , I got the original one and casually agree with you about enlarging the diameter for better grip.
To make the hoop I used tape edging wooden board, wenge wood by gluing Epoxy band I was by wrapping until the bulk of my taste apart from a bit more to work it to milling comfortably. Like you , I increased the bulk inward having to modify steel rings outer and inner.

keepat

WhiteOnGreen that looks awesome, great job! please post or PM me more info on what used and how you used it.
Thank you!
Pat

Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2016, 02:50:50 PM
Pat I have wanted to do this for several years now, I too want a thicker wheel rim without enlarging the diameter. My wheel is in very good shape though and I haven't found another wheel yet to experiment with. It's kinda low on the priority list as well. Anyway, I was going to use real wood for it. So I would get a chunk of wood bg enough to cut the circle out. Then cut it to fit around the rim and shape it from there.

Dino, real wood will look great and I wish they made it that way originally, but I'm trying to keep it stock looking even at the expense of looking cheap :-(
Thanks
Pat

igozumn

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better......   :cheers:
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

keepat

Quote from: igozumn on September 15, 2016, 04:47:03 PM
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better......   :cheers:

Thanks  :cheers:
Pat

WhiteOnGreen

Hi, since I live in Spain and technical words may be different,  I will try to explain the best I know.
1 roll edgebanding real wood wenge non preglued (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/WENGE-WOOD-VENEER-EDGEBANDING-7-8-Size-5-8-to-2-x-500-ROLL-/161114131642?var=&hash=item2583268cba:m:md-1TzwzRPw4SZwpNCPf6Ag
Size in mine is in mm 0,8x40

For glued I used a Epoxi resin UV resistant, since the steering wheel is exposed to sun is the best option. I work in the boat composite sector and I usually work with Gurit, SP115 http://www.gurit.com/sp-115.aspx

I cut a wooden circle 1/4" smaller than the final size of steering, since is necesary milling a plus thick is the best. Around the circle, glueing and wraping the edgebanding, when is dry is perfec for milling.
First, I mark and cut the loop half crossway and milling the mid diameter plus a 2 mm (for final glued) of the steering wheel internal reinforcement Sorry, no pics.
Next is mill the external round, finger marks  :eek2: and inner, outside steel bands recess.
Test fit everything looks correct and glue with Epoxi filler (I used Gurit Spabond 340), ready for hand sand before aply two thin coat SP115 Epoxi resin, sand between coats.
Any question, glad to help

keepat

Quote from: WhiteOnGreen on September 16, 2016, 03:47:06 AM
Hi, since I live in Spain and technical words may be different,  I will try to explain the best I know.
1 roll edgebanding real wood wenge non preglued (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/WENGE-WOOD-VENEER-EDGEBANDING-7-8-Size-5-8-to-2-x-500-ROLL-/161114131642?var=&hash=item2583268cba:m:md-1TzwzRPw4SZwpNCPf6Ag
Size in mine is in mm 0,8x40

For glued I used a Epoxi resin UV resistant, since the steering wheel is exposed to sun is the best option. I work in the boat composite sector and I usually work with Gurit, SP115 http://www.gurit.com/sp-115.aspx

I cut a wooden circle 1/4" smaller than the final size of steering, since is necesary milling a plus thick is the best. Around the circle, glueing and wraping the edgebanding, when is dry is perfec for milling.
First, I mark and cut the loop half crossway and milling the mid diameter plus a 2 mm (for final glued) of the steering wheel internal reinforcement Sorry, no pics.
Next is mill the external round, finger marks  :eek2: and inner, outside steel bands recess.
Test fit everything looks correct and glue with Epoxi filler (I used Gurit Spabond 340), ready for hand sand before aply two thin coat SP115 Epoxi resin, sand between coats.
Any question, glad to help

Thank you for the pictures and info!
Pat

MxRacer855

Pat, brother... the anticipation is killing me!  :drool5:

Jeff

Jduv10007

Pat,

Your not aloud to take any time off on your car. I know I am one of many that get notify when this thread has a reply and I am love what you do.  :popcrn:

:cheers:

Charger_Fan

WhiteonGreen, nice work on your steering wheel, very impressive! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

keepat

Quote from: MxRacer855 on September 19, 2016, 07:36:07 PM
Pat, brother... the anticipation is killing me!  :drool5:

Jeff

Jeff, it's killing me also ;-)

Quote from: Jduv10007 on September 19, 2016, 08:45:47 PM
Pat,

Your not aloud to take any time off on your car. I know I am one of many that get notify when this thread has a reply and I am love what you do.  :popcrn:

:cheers:

Trust me, if I could I would be working on the Charger. But still recovering and fall boat show season is about to start.
Thank you for tuning in ;-)
Pat

cbrestorations

I'm curious how your gonna do this wheel, I want the same in mine. Racing and drifting is gonna kill my fingers with the skinny

keepat

Quote from: cbrestorations on September 20, 2016, 08:50:56 PM
I'm curious how your gonna do this wheel, I want the same in mine. Racing and drifting is gonna kill my fingers with the skinny

Me too ;-) I'm working on a formula of resin and brown gelcoat to match the color that the factory used on the original woodgrain steering wheels. It's funny I think it's actually going to take more time to make fake looking woodgrain then it would to make it out of real wood.
Thanks
Pat

Ryan

Not sure if this will help you but I do remember one of the guys doing woodgrain steering wheel restos does offer the thicker wheel option that you are looking to do.  I'll see if I can dig around and find who it was.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

keepat

Quote from: Ryan on September 21, 2016, 06:12:12 PM
Not sure if this will help you but I do remember one of the guys doing woodgrain steering wheel restos does offer the thicker wheel option that you are looking to do.  I'll see if I can dig around and find who it was.

Thank you!
Pat

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

keepat

Still making progress just not a lot of photogenic things show. A lot of boring sanding to prep the bottom and engine well for base-coat clear-coat.
Thanks
Pat

Lennard

Lots of work! Going to look great.  :2thumbs:

keepat

Indy used pictures and specs of my motor in their on line add for the 6.1 :-)
click on the link and scroll to the bottom.
Pat

http://www.indyheads.com/6.1hemiengines.html

VegasCharger

Quote from: keepat on November 08, 2016, 07:03:49 PM
Indy used pictures and specs of my motor in their on line add for the 6.1 :-)
click on the link and scroll to the bottom.
Pat

http://www.indyheads.com/6.1hemiengines.html

That's AWESOME!!  :2thumbs:

Any royalties??