News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smoke from the steering column (1969)

Started by MaximRecoil, July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

I first saw this about 3 years ago; very faint wisps of white smoke coming from the top of the steering column (coming out of the gap between the steering wheel and the column) as I was going down a steep hill here in town. At the time I didn't associate it with applying the brakes. I didn't smell anything, it didn't do it anymore after that, and everything continued to work normally, so I forgot about it.

A few days ago after finishing my front disc brake conversion, we were bleeding the brakes and after a few minutes of that, I saw the same faint wisps of white smoke again. After a few minutes of brake bleeding (i.e., pressing and holding the brake pedal repeatedly while my mechanic friend opened and closed the bleeder screws), there was no more smoke. Since the ignition switch was off, and the doors were closed, I figured it could only be the wiring from the brake lights switch to the brake lights. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

Obviously something is getting hot in there, and I assume it is burning off accumulated dust, which is why the smoke is so faint and it stops doing it after a few minutes of extended brake pedal usage.

If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring? If the former, cleaning the terminal(s) should fix the problem; if the latter, it must be a pinched or otherwise damaged wire(s) in order for there to be enough resistance in that spot to burn off dust.

John_Kunkel

All wires have smoke built into them, sometimes it stays inside and sometimes it escapes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Pete in NH

Yes, but once you let the factory installed smoke out of the wires there's just no way to get it back in!

The brake light wiring does run through the steering column to the directional switch and back out.

bill440rt

Do the repro wire harnesses have the correct smoke like the factory harnesses?  :shruggy:
The prices of NOS harnesses are through the roof, if you can find them. If the repros have the same feature then that would be OK. NOS harnesses are still old wiring.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

NOS smoke was created before the onslaught of environmentalism so there are compounds in there you just can't duplicate today.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: bill440rt on July 04, 2014, 05:22:45 PM
Do the repro wire harnesses have the correct smoke like the factory harnesses?  :shruggy:
Yes, but with different scents. Red is Cherry, black is licorice, yellow has a faint lemon twist and orange, well has a orange smell to it. Don't ask what brown smells like. They did this so you'll know what wire to look for.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

A383Wing

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 04, 2014, 06:03:53 PM

Don't ask what brown smells like. They did this so you'll know what wire to look for.

This thread is hilarious!

Blue is blueberry, purple is grape, pink is cotton candy, and light green is lime.  :icon_smile_wink:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ghoste

Theres always a brown one somewhere in the back.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

This thread is great! It rates right up there with the "Vibrating Couch" thread from a few years ago.

Jason

Ghoste

We did determine that was haunted right?

TUFCAT

The steering column wiring is afraid of being insulted and ridiculed by Maxim so its letting off some smoke.  :whistling:

jaak

Quote from: Ghoste on July 04, 2014, 10:23:02 PM
Theres always a brown one somewhere in the back.

Yes you are correct, the brown wire is back by the rear end.

Jason

TUFCAT

As a public service reminder, if you happen to find a brown wire w/red tracer call your doctor immediately.  :D

Ghoste

john108

I feel slighted.  None of my wiring has and form of smoke.  For that reason, I recently bought a complete set of wiring from YearOne made by M&H.  This wiring is supposed to be approved by Mopar.  Do you think that I will now have flavored smoke?

JB400

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I'm surprised no one has plagiarized an encyclopedia yet

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2014, 11:27:43 AM
Corn is the best tracer.

That's hilarious!  :smilielol:   Maxim where are you...we're going to need more info on that troublesome brown wire. :think:

fy469rtse

I once let all my smoke out at once and all of it lol , many hours replacing with new smoke filled wires

Mopar Nut

Quote from: john108 on July 05, 2014, 12:37:44 PM
I feel slighted.  None of my wiring has and form of smoke.  For that reason, I recently bought a complete set of wiring from YearOne made by M&H.  This wiring is supposed to be approved by Mopar.  Do you think that I will now have flavored smoke?
Only if you bought the colored ones.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM
I first saw this about 3 years ago; very faint wisps of white smoke coming from the top of the steering column (coming out of the gap between the steering wheel and the column) as I was going down a steep hill here in town. At the time I didn't associate it with applying the brakes. I didn't smell anything, it didn't do it anymore after that, and everything continued to work normally, so I forgot about it.

A few days ago after finishing my front disc brake conversion, we were bleeding the brakes and after a few minutes of that, I saw the same faint wisps of white smoke again. After a few minutes of brake bleeding (i.e., pressing and holding the brake pedal repeatedly while my mechanic friend opened and closed the bleeder screws), there was no more smoke. Since the ignition switch was off, and the doors were closed, I figured it could only be the wiring from the brake lights switch to the brake lights. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

Obviously something is getting hot in there, and I assume it is burning off accumulated dust, which is why the smoke is so faint and it stops doing it after a few minutes of extended brake pedal usage.

If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring? If the former, cleaning the terminal(s) should fix the problem; if the latter, it must be a pinched or otherwise damaged wire(s) in order for there to be enough resistance in that spot to burn off dust.

I came to the conclusion that it is the loose nut behind the wheel.

stripedelete

White smoke?  That's a new Pope. 
Take the little Virgin Mary off the dash and you will be good to go.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2014, 03:57:57 PM

Moron Alertâ„¢

Quote from: stripedelete on July 05, 2014, 04:05:25 PM
White smoke?  That's a new Pope. 
Take the little Virgin Mary off the dash and you will be good to go.

Moron Alertâ„¢: Part II

There are about a dozen more sequels to this Moron Alertâ„¢ in this thread, and plenty more currently in pre-production no doubt.

JB400

Ghoste

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM

I read your experience with smoke from the steering column and then your questions which you answered yourself.

Are you expecting someone to propose another answer that's any better than the smoke getting out?

We morons are much more likely to expand on any topic if it were not for the risk of being stepped on and insulted. However there is entertainment value in your responses when we do.

Perhaps you can catch a sample of the smoke and have it anal-yzed.  

TUFCAT

Maxim, only you would think of trademarking "Moron Alertâ„¢"  :smilielol:

ws23rt

You are going to have to pay for using it :slap:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 04:50:34 PM
There are about a dozen more sequels to this Moron Alertâ„¢ in this thread, and plenty more currently in pre-production no doubt.

Quote from: JB400 on July 05, 2014, 05:54:33 PM
So... you do use a mirror then  :2thumbs: :nana:

Case in point.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Another case in point.

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 05, 2014, 06:36:25 PM
Maxim, only you would think of trademarking "Moron Alertâ„¢"  :smilielol:

And another. By the way, simpleton, the â„¢ symbol there is not really denoting a trademark; it is a joke, on a different level of humor than the Bob Saget level that you and your ilk understand and prefer.

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 06:36:04 PM
I read your experience with smoke from the steering column and then your questions which you answered yourself.

Your notorious reading difficulties are on display again. I asked exactly 2 questions:

1. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

2. If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring?

Neither of which I answered myself (obviously; I wouldn't have asked them had I already known the answer). Both of them were answered in reply #2.

QuoteAre you expecting someone to propose another answer that's any better than the smoke getting out?

Say what? Again, both questions were answered in reply #2.

QuoteWe morons are much more likely to expand on any topic if it were not for the risk of being stepped on and insulted. However there is entertainment value in your responses when we do.

There is nothing for you morons to expand on (not that any of you are actually capable of it, least of all you), because a non-moron already answered the questions in reply #2.

Ghoste

ws23rt

I just talked to my 4th grade teacher. (she is kind feeble at 95). She agrees with me that you did indeed answer your own questions.

However since she played a big part in my reading skills she apparently is a moron as well :shruggy:

I will go back to left field where I'm at home. :icon_smile_wink:

TUFCAT

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 08:30:40 PM

And another. By the way, simpleton, the â„¢ symbol there is not really denoting a trademark; it is a joke, on a different level of humor than the Bob Saget level that you and your ilk understand and prefer.

Thanks for finally acknowledging me as "Simpleton"â„¢ :ricky:  ...but I've already registered that trademark.  So from now on, please refer to me as "Simpleton"®  

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 08:47:20 PM
I just talked to my 4th grade teacher. (she is kind feeble at 95). She agrees with me that you did indeed answer your own questions.

However since she played a big part in my reading skills she apparently is a moron as well :shruggy:

If you still believe that I "answered my own questions", even after having it pointed out that you're wrong, then quote the questions I asked, and then quote where I answered them.

TUFCAT

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 08:30:40 PM

Quote from: JB400 on July 05, 2014, 05:54:33 PM
So... you do use a mirror then  :2thumbs: :nana:

Case in point.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Another case in point.

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 06:36:04 PM

Your notorious reading difficulties are on display again. I asked exactly 2 questions:

2. If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring?

Neither of which I answered myself (obviously; I wouldn't have asked them had I already known the answer). Both of them were answered in reply #2.

QuoteAre you expecting someone to propose another answer that's any better than the smoke getting out?

Say what? Again, both questions were answered in reply #2.

QuoteWe morons are much more likely to expand on any topic if it were not for the risk of being stepped on and insulted. However there is entertainment value in your responses when we do.

There is nothing for you morons to expand on (not that any of you are actually capable of it, least of all you), because a non-moron already answered the questions in reply #2.

As nice as you are to people....its a pity your shitpile didn't burn to the ground.  :fu:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 05, 2014, 09:35:07 PM
As nice as you are to people....its a pity your shitpile didn't burn to the ground.  :fu:

I'm precisely as "nice to people" as they are to me. And by the way, Slow Dougâ„¢, if you were able to comprehend the OP, you'd know that your wish isn't possible based on the information given.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 09:33:16 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 08:47:20 PM

If you still believe that I "answered my own questions", even after having it pointed out that you're wrong, then quote the questions I asked, and then quote where I answered them.

The most important lesson I learned (from several teachers and dealing with/managing many people for 45+ years is to interpret what is being said and let the errors in communication pass when they don't fit.

I will not play your favorite game  (which is to ignore intent and stick to technical rules of punctuation/ verbiage/etc.). The language we use is more fluid these days than ever before and the trick is to communicate.

Your method of avoiding a question or statement is an exercise that only avoids the questions asked.

When you make reference to something being a waste of time or effort (like hooking up a spring backwards) and go on as you do in response to us morons it seems just plane odd.

Edit--add that unless you change your original post all can read what you wrote.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 10:01:04 PM
The most important lesson I learned (from several teachers and dealing with/managing many people for 45+ years is to interpret what is being said and let the errors in communication pass when they don't fit.

I will not play your favorite game  (which is to ignore intent and stick to technical rules of punctuation/ verbiage/etc.). The language we use is more fluid these days than ever before and the trick is to communicate.

Your method of avoiding a question or statement is an exercise that only avoids the questions asked.

When you make reference to something being a waste of time or effort (like hooking up a spring backwards) and go on as you do in response to us morons it seems just plane odd.

You certainly weren't kidding when you said:

"I will go back to left field where I'm at home."

And it appears that you have burrowed even deeper into left field than usual.

In any event, since you can't point out where I answered any of my own questions, I'll take that as your concession that you were wrong.

ws23rt

I don't have to point out where you answered your questions.  You did in the OP :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Hey WS, the funny part of this entire thread was that nobody even tried to answer him seriously, knowing we'd be at risk of being ridiculed and lectured. Just like he's doing now.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 10:10:43 PM
I don't have to point out where you answered your questions.  You did in the OP :shruggy:

No, I didn't, as I already said. Once again:

I asked exactly 2 questions:

Neither of which I answered myself (obviously; I wouldn't have asked them had I already known the answer). Both of them were answered in reply #2 by someone who could read properly, and thus knew that I hadn't already answered either of my two questions:

Quote from: Pete in NH on July 04, 2014, 03:08:46 PM
The brake light wiring does run through the steering column to the directional switch and back out.

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 05, 2014, 10:22:59 PM
Hey WS, the funny part of this entire thread was that nobody even tried to answer him seriously because we'd all be at risk of being ridiculed and lectured. Just like he's doing now.

Obviously false, given that my questions were answered in reply #2, which is not only obvious from simply reading the thread, but has also been pointed out by me more than once now.

ws23rt

Hey WS, the funny part of this entire thread was that nobody even tried to answer him seriously, knowing we'd be at risk of being ridiculed and lectured. Just like he's doing now.

I know :2thumbs:  And that's what makes us come back I suppose. WE like being spanked :D

And he keeps taking the bait--OOps I mean free food.

TUFCAT

Unfortunately I've reached my cat-fight limit after dealing with ECS and his keyboard buddy Resq302 earlier this year, so I'm going back to my window seat.  This guy appears to be declawed and neutered anyway...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 10:30:56 PM

I know :2thumbs:

He posted an obviously and demonstrably false claim (see above) and you said "I know". That's comedy; kind of like something you'd see on Beavis and Butt-Head.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2014, 03:57:57 PM

Moron Alertâ„¢

I was wrong, you don't have a loose nut, sounds like you don't have any nuts!

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2014, 10:50:20 PM

Amateur Hour Alertâ„¢

Mopar Nut

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 10:52:00 PM

Amateur Hour Alertâ„¢
Hey, we're trying to help here and you are just calling us names.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 10:52:00 PM

Amateur Hour Alertâ„¢

Is this a warning for all that may happen on this thread?   Or is it just what it looks like?------ :nana:-----

Mytur Binsdirti

But, to answer your initial question, you need this kit............

TUFCAT

Great input as usual Myturban! ..... but according  to him the question was already answered by the second reply.  :shruggy:

Ghoste

JB400

Not yet you're not.  Just a pre production prototype, same as I.  We could still be rejected  :brickwall:

A383Wing

Overseas Lucas smoke is what we have to use now?   :eek2:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 06, 2014, 02:46:19 PM
Great input as usual Myturban! ..... but according  to him the question was already answered  by the second reply.  :shruggy:

So all the following comical responses are all in vein? Perhaps a name change to MaxiPad for the humor-impaired author of this thread should considered.  :eek2:

AKcharger

I looked at this post cause I'm swapping out an ignition switch in my '70 for the same problem and thought I'd find some good info...what I found was better!  :rofl:

If tufcat's here you know sarcasm and rancor will follow!

Ghoste

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 06, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
Not to mention the odd hairball.

I'd rather cough up one than wait for Maxim's next post.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 06, 2014, 04:28:06 PM
So all the following comical responses are all in vein? Perhaps a name change to MaxiPad for the humor-impaired author of this thread should considered.  :eek2:

The real comedy here (of the ironic sort) is that the students of the Bob Saget School of Comedyâ„¢, you know, such as yourself, think they are qualified to determine that someone else is "humor-impaired". People who have a low-rent, discount bargain basement "sense of humor" also have a low level of intelligence by default. For example, among humans, babies are the dumbest of the dumb due to their barely developed brains, and what does it take to make them laugh? Not much; someone making a "funny face" at them will usually do it. Then there are people with Down Syndrome; they are always grinning and laughing at practically anything.

Then there is you, and the rest of your herd, who all share a "sense of humor" that is straight out of primary school (you even just made a pun, of all things), and of course, every last primary school student is dumb as a mud fence (relatively speaking).

By the way, the word you're looking for is "vain". Did it ever occur to you that "vein" makes absolutely no sense in that context? No, I don't suppose it did.

ws23rt

Mytur--look what you have done for yourself.  You now must sit in left field with the rest of us morons.

We can drool and measure how long our boogers are together and otherwise find fun in our day together :cheers:.

BTW he is going on auto again----asking a question and answering it himself.  Less and less is required to perpetuate this. :scratchchin:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 06, 2014, 07:31:16 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 06, 2014, 04:28:06 PM

The real comedy here (of the ironic sort) is that the students of the Bob Saget School of Comedyâ„¢, you know, such as yourself, think they are qualified to determine that someone else is "humor-impaired". People who have a low-rent, discount bargain basement "sense of humor" also have a low level of intelligence by default. For example, among humans, babies are the dumbest of the dumb due to their barely developed brains, and what does it take to make them laugh? Not much; someone making a "funny face" at them will usually do it. Then there are people with Down Syndrome; they are always grinning and laughing at practically anything.

Then there is you, and the rest of your herd, who all share a "sense of humor" that is straight out of primary school (you even just made a pun, of all things), and of course, every last primary school student is dumb as a mud fence (relatively speaking).

By the way, the word you're looking for is "vain". Did it ever occur to you that "vein" makes absolutely no sense in that context? No, I don't suppose it did.

I was caught on a spelling error; I'll give you that, but it appears that someone in this thread is still humorless.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 06, 2014, 08:46:52 PM

I was caught on a spelling error; I'll give you that

It wasn't a spelling error, it was a usage error, which means you used a word without first knowing its definition, which is always comical.

Quotebut it appears that someone in this thread is still humorless.

Irony.

Ghoste

True, if he did intend to use the word "vein" as spelled.  Obviously however, if someone read the phrase out loud to you without being able to see how the word was spelled you would have taken it as "vain".  Thereby it is indeed a spelling error in this case caused by the two words being homophones.

Mytur Binsdirti

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Ghoste on July 06, 2014, 09:16:51 PM
True, if he did intend to use the word "vein" as spelled.  Obviously however, if someone read the phrase out loud to you without being able to see how the word was spelled you would have taken it as "vain".  Thereby it is indeed a spelling error in this case caused by the two words being homophones.

He misused a correctly-spelled word, which makes it is a usage error. In other words, "vein" doesn't mean what he thinks it means.

bill440rt

And here we have this higher being of super-human intelligence that can't find his answer by f*cking looking at a wiring diagram or reading a FSM??  ::) 

I happen to enjoy humor straight up. This thread became absolutely hilarious with the first reply.
I prefer not to use a flow chart, graph, comparison analysis, periodic table, trigonometry, or redundant debate tactics to decipher a punchline.

Please gentlemen, continue. This is the best entertainment on here in a long time. :popcrn:
In the meantime I'll be wiping drool & counting boogers. I've missed half an episode of Sesame Street already.  :shortbus:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: bill440rt on July 06, 2014, 09:45:30 PM
And here we have this higher being of super-human intelligence that can't find his answer by f*cking looking at a wiring diagram or reading a FSM??  ::)

What's this, an attempt at a crystal ball reading? You're not planning to send me a bill are you, Miss Cleo?  

QuoteI happen to enjoy humor straight up. This thread became absolutely hilarious with the first reply.

Yet another case in point.

QuoteI prefer not to use a flow chart, graph, comparison analysis, periodic table, trigonometry, or redundant debate tactics to decipher a punchline.

This is a non sequitur. By the way, none of you on this thread are even remotely comical when you're trying to be, but there is a lot of unintentional humor here, such as the Beavis and Butt-Head style routine between "ws23rt" and "TUFCAT". The best humor is usually unintentional anyway; it takes actual talent to be intentionally funny (talent along the lines of Eddie Murphy in Delirious, or the dialog and situations Mike Judge wrote for Office Space). Or, if you are "blessed" with a dull skull, any ham n' egger can make you laugh.

QuotePlease gentlemen, continue. This is the best entertainment on here in a long time. :popcrn:
In the meantime I'll be wiping drool & counting boogers. I've missed half an episode of Sesame Street already.  :shortbus:

Apt.

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 06, 2014, 09:26:11 PM

He misused a correctly-spelled word, which makes it is a usage error. In other words, "vein" doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
I'll make this more clear for you. If MB meant to use "vain" instead of "vein", it is a spelling error. If MB purposely used "vein" whereas he should have used "vain", it is a usage error.  Either way, the most important thing is that you knew what he meant.  You never know, he may have purposely done it to get you to bite again.  In that case, you're a sucker.

You can go back to smoking your wires. :apimp:

john108

Quote from: bill440rt on July 06, 2014, 09:45:30 PM
And here we have this higher being of super-human intelligence that can't find his answer by f*cking looking at a wiring diagram or reading a FSM??  ::) 

Hay Bill, I am a "higher being of super-human intelligence" and I have difficulties with the FSM!

MaximRecoil

Quote from: JB400 on July 06, 2014, 11:11:57 PM

I'll make this more clear for you.

The irony is thick in here.

QuoteIf MB meant to use "vain" instead of "vein", it is a spelling error. If MB purposely used "vein" whereas he should have used "vain", it is a usage error.

I already know what "Ghoste" said, and no, it doesn't work that way. "Intentions" (which can't truly be known by the reader anyway) are irrelevant to orthography; the text, and only the text, speaks for itself. In cases where correctly-spelled words are misused, it is not a case of spelling a word incorrectly, it is a usage error, by definition, obviously. There are no "extenuating circumstances" for e.g., cases of homophones. The common there/their/they're mix-ups are also usage errors, not misspellings.

QuoteEither way, the most important thing is that you knew what he meant.

If someone is going to go on the offensive, he should make sure he has his ducks in a row, because at that point, everything becomes fair game.

QuoteYou never know, he may have purposely done it to get you to bite again.  In that case, you're a sucker.

Some more real [unintentional] comedy here. First: "You never know"? You're putting your reading difficulties on public display. He already admitted to his error, though he (like yourself) is confused about what sort of error it was. Second: I'll happily "bite" at free food all day long ("bait" without a trap = free food). Third: I know that simple folks, after being trounced, think it is "clever" to make the ad hoc claim that they were "baiting" (it is the most common low-rent "tactic" on the internet; it is a variation of the "I meant to do that!" "tactic" that is so popular with the primary school crowd). However, in doing so they are unwittingly admitting to being a "troll", albeit a particularly inept one (a competent "troll" has a trap to go with their bait; you guys have worms but no hooks, so to speak).

JB400

Thank you much for the clarification and verification on which of those amongst us have a comprehensive understanding of the English language. :cheers:  I'm sure there are a few English teachers and professors that would be pleased to receive this information. :2thumbs:

No need to tell me that I misused the word "much".  I already know. :2thumbs:  I could delete it if it would make it more better for you.  :rofl:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 07, 2014, 12:27:38 AM

I already know what "Ghoste" said, and no, it doesn't work that way. "Intentions" (which can't truly be known by the reader anyway) are irrelevant to orthography; the text, and only the text, speaks for itself. In cases where correctly-spelled words are misused, it is not a case of spelling a word incorrectly, it is a usage error, by definition, obviously. There are no "extenuating circumstances" for e.g., cases of homophones. The common there/their/they're mix-ups are also usage errors, not misspellings.

Some more real [unintentional] comedy here. First: "You never know"? You're putting your reading difficulties on public display. He already admitted to his error, though he (like yourself) is confused about what sort of error it was. Second: I'll happily "bite" at free food all day long ("bait" without a trap = free food). Third: I know that simple folks, after being trounced, think it is "clever" to make the ad hoc claim that they were "baiting" (it is the most common low-rent "tactic" on the internet; it is a variation of the "I meant to do that!" "tactic" that is so popular with the primary school crowd). However, in doing so they are unwittingly admitting to being a "troll", albeit a particularly inept one (a competent "troll" has a trap to go with their bait; you guys have worms but no hooks, so to speak).

Four cliches come to mind:

Broken record
Beat a dead horse
Buzzkill
Mr. Personality

I sure hope you're not like this in real life.    ::)

Ghoste

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 06, 2014, 09:26:11 PM

Wow, just wow.  :rotz: