News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smoke from the steering column (1969)

Started by MaximRecoil, July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

I first saw this about 3 years ago; very faint wisps of white smoke coming from the top of the steering column (coming out of the gap between the steering wheel and the column) as I was going down a steep hill here in town. At the time I didn't associate it with applying the brakes. I didn't smell anything, it didn't do it anymore after that, and everything continued to work normally, so I forgot about it.

A few days ago after finishing my front disc brake conversion, we were bleeding the brakes and after a few minutes of that, I saw the same faint wisps of white smoke again. After a few minutes of brake bleeding (i.e., pressing and holding the brake pedal repeatedly while my mechanic friend opened and closed the bleeder screws), there was no more smoke. Since the ignition switch was off, and the doors were closed, I figured it could only be the wiring from the brake lights switch to the brake lights. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

Obviously something is getting hot in there, and I assume it is burning off accumulated dust, which is why the smoke is so faint and it stops doing it after a few minutes of extended brake pedal usage.

If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring? If the former, cleaning the terminal(s) should fix the problem; if the latter, it must be a pinched or otherwise damaged wire(s) in order for there to be enough resistance in that spot to burn off dust.

John_Kunkel

All wires have smoke built into them, sometimes it stays inside and sometimes it escapes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Pete in NH

Yes, but once you let the factory installed smoke out of the wires there's just no way to get it back in!

The brake light wiring does run through the steering column to the directional switch and back out.

bill440rt

Do the repro wire harnesses have the correct smoke like the factory harnesses?  :shruggy:
The prices of NOS harnesses are through the roof, if you can find them. If the repros have the same feature then that would be OK. NOS harnesses are still old wiring.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

NOS smoke was created before the onslaught of environmentalism so there are compounds in there you just can't duplicate today.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: bill440rt on July 04, 2014, 05:22:45 PM
Do the repro wire harnesses have the correct smoke like the factory harnesses?  :shruggy:
Yes, but with different scents. Red is Cherry, black is licorice, yellow has a faint lemon twist and orange, well has a orange smell to it. Don't ask what brown smells like. They did this so you'll know what wire to look for.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

A383Wing

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 04, 2014, 06:03:53 PM

Don't ask what brown smells like. They did this so you'll know what wire to look for.

This thread is hilarious!

Blue is blueberry, purple is grape, pink is cotton candy, and light green is lime.  :icon_smile_wink:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ghoste

Theres always a brown one somewhere in the back.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

This thread is great! It rates right up there with the "Vibrating Couch" thread from a few years ago.

Jason

Ghoste

We did determine that was haunted right?

TUFCAT

The steering column wiring is afraid of being insulted and ridiculed by Maxim so its letting off some smoke.  :whistling:

jaak

Quote from: Ghoste on July 04, 2014, 10:23:02 PM
Theres always a brown one somewhere in the back.

Yes you are correct, the brown wire is back by the rear end.

Jason

TUFCAT

As a public service reminder, if you happen to find a brown wire w/red tracer call your doctor immediately.  :D

Ghoste

john108

I feel slighted.  None of my wiring has and form of smoke.  For that reason, I recently bought a complete set of wiring from YearOne made by M&H.  This wiring is supposed to be approved by Mopar.  Do you think that I will now have flavored smoke?

JB400

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I'm surprised no one has plagiarized an encyclopedia yet

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2014, 11:27:43 AM
Corn is the best tracer.

That's hilarious!  :smilielol:   Maxim where are you...we're going to need more info on that troublesome brown wire. :think:

fy469rtse

I once let all my smoke out at once and all of it lol , many hours replacing with new smoke filled wires

Mopar Nut

Quote from: john108 on July 05, 2014, 12:37:44 PM
I feel slighted.  None of my wiring has and form of smoke.  For that reason, I recently bought a complete set of wiring from YearOne made by M&H.  This wiring is supposed to be approved by Mopar.  Do you think that I will now have flavored smoke?
Only if you bought the colored ones.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM
I first saw this about 3 years ago; very faint wisps of white smoke coming from the top of the steering column (coming out of the gap between the steering wheel and the column) as I was going down a steep hill here in town. At the time I didn't associate it with applying the brakes. I didn't smell anything, it didn't do it anymore after that, and everything continued to work normally, so I forgot about it.

A few days ago after finishing my front disc brake conversion, we were bleeding the brakes and after a few minutes of that, I saw the same faint wisps of white smoke again. After a few minutes of brake bleeding (i.e., pressing and holding the brake pedal repeatedly while my mechanic friend opened and closed the bleeder screws), there was no more smoke. Since the ignition switch was off, and the doors were closed, I figured it could only be the wiring from the brake lights switch to the brake lights. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

Obviously something is getting hot in there, and I assume it is burning off accumulated dust, which is why the smoke is so faint and it stops doing it after a few minutes of extended brake pedal usage.

If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring? If the former, cleaning the terminal(s) should fix the problem; if the latter, it must be a pinched or otherwise damaged wire(s) in order for there to be enough resistance in that spot to burn off dust.

I came to the conclusion that it is the loose nut behind the wheel.

stripedelete

White smoke?  That's a new Pope. 
Take the little Virgin Mary off the dash and you will be good to go.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2014, 03:57:57 PM
I came to the conclusion that it is the loose nut behind the wheel.

Moron Alertâ„¢

Quote from: stripedelete on July 05, 2014, 04:05:25 PM
White smoke?  That's a new Pope. 
Take the little Virgin Mary off the dash and you will be good to go.

Moron Alertâ„¢: Part II

There are about a dozen more sequels to this Moron Alertâ„¢ in this thread, and plenty more currently in pre-production no doubt.