News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smoke from the steering column (1969)

Started by MaximRecoil, July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Ghoste

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM
I first saw this about 3 years ago; very faint wisps of white smoke coming from the top of the steering column (coming out of the gap between the steering wheel and the column) as I was going down a steep hill here in town. At the time I didn't associate it with applying the brakes. I didn't smell anything, it didn't do it anymore after that, and everything continued to work normally, so I forgot about it.

A few days ago after finishing my front disc brake conversion, we were bleeding the brakes and after a few minutes of that, I saw the same faint wisps of white smoke again. After a few minutes of brake bleeding (i.e., pressing and holding the brake pedal repeatedly while my mechanic friend opened and closed the bleeder screws), there was no more smoke. Since the ignition switch was off, and the doors were closed, I figured it could only be the wiring from the brake lights switch to the brake lights. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

Obviously something is getting hot in there, and I assume it is burning off accumulated dust, which is why the smoke is so faint and it stops doing it after a few minutes of extended brake pedal usage.

If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring? If the former, cleaning the terminal(s) should fix the problem; if the latter, it must be a pinched or otherwise damaged wire(s) in order for there to be enough resistance in that spot to burn off dust.

I read your experience with smoke from the steering column and then your questions which you answered yourself.

Are you expecting someone to propose another answer that's any better than the smoke getting out?

We morons are much more likely to expand on any topic if it were not for the risk of being stepped on and insulted. However there is entertainment value in your responses when we do.

Perhaps you can catch a sample of the smoke and have it anal-yzed.  

TUFCAT

Maxim, only you would think of trademarking "Moron Alert™"  :smilielol:

ws23rt

You are going to have to pay for using it :slap:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 04:50:34 PM
There are about a dozen more sequels to this Moron Alert™ in this thread, and plenty more currently in pre-production no doubt.

Quote from: JB400 on July 05, 2014, 05:54:33 PM
So... you do use a mirror then  :2thumbs: :nana:

Case in point.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Another case in point.

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 05, 2014, 06:36:25 PM
Maxim, only you would think of trademarking "Moron Alert™"  :smilielol:

And another. By the way, simpleton, the ™ symbol there is not really denoting a trademark; it is a joke, on a different level of humor than the Bob Saget level that you and your ilk understand and prefer.

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 06:36:04 PM
I read your experience with smoke from the steering column and then your questions which you answered yourself.

Your notorious reading difficulties are on display again. I asked exactly 2 questions:

1. Does that wiring run through the steering column?

2. If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring?

Neither of which I answered myself (obviously; I wouldn't have asked them had I already known the answer). Both of them were answered in reply #2.

QuoteAre you expecting someone to propose another answer that's any better than the smoke getting out?

Say what? Again, both questions were answered in reply #2.

QuoteWe morons are much more likely to expand on any topic if it were not for the risk of being stepped on and insulted. However there is entertainment value in your responses when we do.

There is nothing for you morons to expand on (not that any of you are actually capable of it, least of all you), because a non-moron already answered the questions in reply #2.

Ghoste

ws23rt

I just talked to my 4th grade teacher. (she is kind feeble at 95). She agrees with me that you did indeed answer your own questions.

However since she played a big part in my reading skills she apparently is a moron as well :shruggy:

I will go back to left field where I'm at home. :icon_smile_wink:

TUFCAT

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 08:30:40 PM

And another. By the way, simpleton, the ™ symbol there is not really denoting a trademark; it is a joke, on a different level of humor than the Bob Saget level that you and your ilk understand and prefer.

Thanks for finally acknowledging me as "Simpleton"™ :ricky:  ...but I've already registered that trademark.  So from now on, please refer to me as "Simpleton"®  

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 08:47:20 PM
I just talked to my 4th grade teacher. (she is kind feeble at 95). She agrees with me that you did indeed answer your own questions.

However since she played a big part in my reading skills she apparently is a moron as well :shruggy:

If you still believe that I "answered my own questions", even after having it pointed out that you're wrong, then quote the questions I asked, and then quote where I answered them.

TUFCAT

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 08:30:40 PM
There are about a dozen more sequels to this Moron Alert™ in this thread, and plenty more currently in pre-production no doubt.

Quote from: JB400 on July 05, 2014, 05:54:33 PM
So... you do use a mirror then  :2thumbs: :nana:

Case in point.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Another case in point.

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 06:36:04 PM

Your notorious reading difficulties are on display again. I asked exactly 2 questions:

2. If the brake light wiring runs through the steering column, is it interrupted by a terminal(s) or is it uninterrupted wiring?

Neither of which I answered myself (obviously; I wouldn't have asked them had I already known the answer). Both of them were answered in reply #2.

QuoteAre you expecting someone to propose another answer that's any better than the smoke getting out?

Say what? Again, both questions were answered in reply #2.

QuoteWe morons are much more likely to expand on any topic if it were not for the risk of being stepped on and insulted. However there is entertainment value in your responses when we do.

There is nothing for you morons to expand on (not that any of you are actually capable of it, least of all you), because a non-moron already answered the questions in reply #2.

As nice as you are to people....its a pity your shitpile didn't burn to the ground.  :fu:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 05, 2014, 09:35:07 PM
As nice as you are to people....its a pity your shitpile didn't burn to the ground.  :fu:

I'm precisely as "nice to people" as they are to me. And by the way, Slow Doug™, if you were able to comprehend the OP, you'd know that your wish isn't possible based on the information given.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 09:33:16 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 08:47:20 PM

If you still believe that I "answered my own questions", even after having it pointed out that you're wrong, then quote the questions I asked, and then quote where I answered them.

The most important lesson I learned (from several teachers and dealing with/managing many people for 45+ years is to interpret what is being said and let the errors in communication pass when they don't fit.

I will not play your favorite game  (which is to ignore intent and stick to technical rules of punctuation/ verbiage/etc.). The language we use is more fluid these days than ever before and the trick is to communicate.

Your method of avoiding a question or statement is an exercise that only avoids the questions asked.

When you make reference to something being a waste of time or effort (like hooking up a spring backwards) and go on as you do in response to us morons it seems just plane odd.

Edit--add that unless you change your original post all can read what you wrote.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 10:01:04 PM
The most important lesson I learned (from several teachers and dealing with/managing many people for 45+ years is to interpret what is being said and let the errors in communication pass when they don't fit.

I will not play your favorite game  (which is to ignore intent and stick to technical rules of punctuation/ verbiage/etc.). The language we use is more fluid these days than ever before and the trick is to communicate.

Your method of avoiding a question or statement is an exercise that only avoids the questions asked.

When you make reference to something being a waste of time or effort (like hooking up a spring backwards) and go on as you do in response to us morons it seems just plane odd.

You certainly weren't kidding when you said:

"I will go back to left field where I'm at home."

And it appears that you have burrowed even deeper into left field than usual.

In any event, since you can't point out where I answered any of my own questions, I'll take that as your concession that you were wrong.

ws23rt

I don't have to point out where you answered your questions.  You did in the OP :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Hey WS, the funny part of this entire thread was that nobody even tried to answer him seriously, knowing we'd be at risk of being ridiculed and lectured. Just like he's doing now.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 10:10:43 PM
I don't have to point out where you answered your questions.  You did in the OP :shruggy:

No, I didn't, as I already said. Once again:

I asked exactly 2 questions:

Neither of which I answered myself (obviously; I wouldn't have asked them had I already known the answer). Both of them were answered in reply #2 by someone who could read properly, and thus knew that I hadn't already answered either of my two questions:

Quote from: Pete in NH on July 04, 2014, 03:08:46 PM
The brake light wiring does run through the steering column to the directional switch and back out.

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 05, 2014, 10:22:59 PM
Hey WS, the funny part of this entire thread was that nobody even tried to answer him seriously because we'd all be at risk of being ridiculed and lectured. Just like he's doing now.

Obviously false, given that my questions were answered in reply #2, which is not only obvious from simply reading the thread, but has also been pointed out by me more than once now.

ws23rt

Hey WS, the funny part of this entire thread was that nobody even tried to answer him seriously, knowing we'd be at risk of being ridiculed and lectured. Just like he's doing now.

I know :2thumbs:  And that's what makes us come back I suppose. WE like being spanked :D

And he keeps taking the bait--OOps I mean free food.

TUFCAT

Unfortunately I've reached my cat-fight limit after dealing with ECS and his keyboard buddy Resq302 earlier this year, so I'm going back to my window seat.  This guy appears to be declawed and neutered anyway...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on July 05, 2014, 10:30:56 PM

I know :2thumbs:

He posted an obviously and demonstrably false claim (see above) and you said "I know". That's comedy; kind of like something you'd see on Beavis and Butt-Head.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2014, 03:57:57 PM
I came to the conclusion that it is the loose nut behind the wheel.

Moron Alert™

I was wrong, you don't have a loose nut, sounds like you don't have any nuts!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2014, 10:50:20 PM

Amateur Hour Alert™

Mopar Nut

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 10:52:00 PM

Amateur Hour Alert™
Hey, we're trying to help here and you are just calling us names.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 05, 2014, 10:52:00 PM

Amateur Hour Alert™

Is this a warning for all that may happen on this thread?   Or is it just what it looks like?------ :nana:-----

Mytur Binsdirti

But, to answer your initial question, you need this kit............