News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

I still have to clean up and paint the brakes but I am super excited to have this type of brakes on the front of this heavy beast!  Especially considering how cheap I'm into this setup.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Mike DC

QuoteGarner7555 used a set of fronts and used them to mount the 14 inch 4 piston brembo brakes.  He had to add a .308 inch spacer to the back for proper mount of the brembo brakes.

Roughly how big of a wheel rim does it take to clear this huge setup? 

(I know there is some variation among wheel brands.)

invincibleextremes

18 inch wheel will clear the 14 inch brakes.  If you wanna get crazy with the 15 inch 6 piston brakes then you are looking at a 19 inch wheel minimum....

The 13.2 inch brakes clear a 17 inch wheel just fine though.

garner7555

I currently have 20" wheels bolted on it but yes the 18" should clear these 14" without issue.   :2thumbs:  I think you can run a 17" if you step down to the 13.2" rotors.  :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

invincibleextremes

All the pieces for the rear setup have been ordered, so sometime next week i should have them installed on my wifes 68 charger 8 3/4 and will post pics.  I will have 5 complete sets for thos who have been waiting.  All i could afford at the time to get laser cut.  But once those are shipped out i can always order more, takes a week for me to get the pieces from the laser cutter and i am going to try and keep a few sets on hand all the time.

6spd68

I'll be buying a set, and will definitely be posting the install on my thread  :2thumbs:

I've picked up the rotors and pads, just need to get a set of stock calipers now (Shouldn't be more than 200$ for all 4).

I'm actually rather pumped to be running this setup on my car.  Up to this point everything in the resto has been a boat; "Bust out another thousand".
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mike DC

People on the net agree the 13.2" rotor setups fit under 17" wheels.  

But they also agree that the 12.4 rotors won't clear 16" wheels.  Does that make sense?  I mean, Mopar put 11.75 rotors under 15" wheels.

I know it's the calipers that actually do the interfering.  But it seems like a wide disparity here.  

Are the 12.4 setups mounting the caliper in the same place as they do for the 13.2 setups, or something?

invincibleextremes

The 11.5, 12.5 and 13.2 front brakes all use the same caliper... but the caliper mount itself is different for each rotor size.

Could be that the caliper itself is bulky... plus mopar single piston cardoba brakes are a tight fit on 15 inch wheels.  Modern brakes are bulkier.

Mike DC

I'd like to squeeze the 12.4 rotors under a 16" wheel.  Makes me wonder if there is a way.

If those 12.4's were the Mustang GT size a few years ago, and 16" wheels were standard on non-GT's at the time . . .  then I'm sure Mustang guys have already investigated whether this swap was possible.  

(UPDATE:  the 1990s Thunderbird forums seem to think it's possible.)

68Charger4me

invincibleextremes

Not my bracket, i meant the actual caliper bracket that comes with the caliper off the mustang is different for each rotor size. 

My bracket replicates the 2005 through 2014 mustang spindle, so any complete brake setup off those cars will work with a minor clean up of the rotor hub.

68Charger4me

invincibleextremes

No they do not.  The mustang guys who drag race use some oddball specialty 15 inch wheel and its the only one that fits thats a 15.   16 inch wheels are the minimum for these brakes, sorry.  The only brake setup that will clear a 15 inch wheel using stock parts is the 73 and up single piston swap.  

I have some explorer rear discs laying around and the rears should be here after the weekend, so i will look into a third position allowing the use of the smaller explorer rotor and the mustang caliper....

That way the guys can use the existing setup if they buy mine and still use 15 inch slicks once in a while at the drag strip.....

Currently my setup is designed to use either the 11.8 or the 13.8 inch shelby gt500 rear rotors, and can go back and forth because the caliper is the same and my brackets are setup that way...

If a third position is succesful i will definately let you guys know.

68Charger4me

Thanks for the info, I was just looking to upgrade my rear brakes. 

invincibleextremes

Got the rear brakes in, i have 5 complete sets of rear brackets for the 11.8 or 13.8 inch rear rotors.   So anyone who wants a set get ahold of me.  The rears $180 for a complete bracket set and the fronts are $110.   I am selling them together for $260.   The complete kit will let you use the brakes off of any 2005 through 2014 mustang.  Different mustangs have different brake options, and all of them have been described in this thread.

Some time next week I will get the spacer ordered to be able to use the 14 inch 4 piston or the 15 inch 6 piston brakes as well.

Also, those of you who made this possible and have purchased the front brakes from me will be getting a discount for the rears as well.  PM me for details.

invincibleextremes

Ok, well, about 8 different people have my fronts, or 4 wheel setups... looking forward to seeing some installed.

Ryan.C

Quote from: invincibleextremes on June 10, 2016, 06:01:15 PM
Ok, well, about 8 different people have my fronts, or 4 wheel setups... looking forward to seeing some installed.

I installed my front brackets over the weekend. However I have to go to the field for a couple weeks and will post some pics of the complete set-up at the end of the month.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

invincibleextremes

Still got two sets of complete 4 wheel disc brake conversion brackets left.  $250 if anybody wants them.  Roughly 5 pairs of just fronts left as well.  $100 shipped

Ya'll have a happy 4th of july ;-)

6spd68

Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Wasco

Quote from: invincibleextremes on May 28, 2016, 10:30:57 PM
No they do not.  The mustang guys who drag race use some oddball specialty 15 inch wheel and its the only one that fits thats a 15.   16 inch wheels are the minimum for these brakes, sorry.  The only brake setup that will clear a 15 inch wheel using stock parts is the 73 and up single piston swap

I'd love to get a set of the front brackets, but I want to do black steelie wheels with 'poverty' hub caps.  Does anyone know where to find 5x4.5 steelies in 16x8?  Seems like whatever money I save on the brakes with this (awesome) set up, I'll end up spending on custom wheels and I have to give up on the 15" steelies.......

invincibleextremes

Diamond racing wheels.  They make a 16 inch steelie for 90 bucks, any size and offset

Wasco

Has anyone had experience with Vintiques Wheels from Summit?  They have a 16x8 with four inch backspace and 16x7 with four inch backspace for about $100 each.
Seems like bad reviews on the Diamond Racing wheels - marginal quality?

moparguy01

I just snagged a set of the brackets from him myself for my car. Now I need to turn my rotors down to get them going.

Ryan.C

Be Advised-

The 13.2 front conversion DO NOT clear 17 inch MB Old School wheels. I will post pictures later on today.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.