News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good way to pep up my 440? You decide!

Started by rikubot, August 08, 2016, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

My goal for this build is definitely higher comp Pistons and a bigger carb. Right now it's got an edelbrock 600. What kind of power can I get out of it with higher comp Pistons, a suitable cam, bigger carb, and probably a new intake manifold? Will the stock heads hold it back all that much? If I got 400-450 HP for around 2k starting with what I've got, I'd be ecstatic. Is this reasonable? Of course more would be okay too haha
'69 Charger, 440/727

heyoldguy

Here is just some food for though. Notice that the biggest increase in horsepower came from the cylinder head swap.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/dyno-testing-a-stock-1972-440.249866/

Now we did put this engine in a 1972 Satellite with 2.46:1 gears and it was a bit of a dog off the line, but it did drive around on the street very smoothly.

Oh, I do not recommend the 509 cam for this build. It just happened to be laying around so we used it.

BSB67

It is hard to say regarding both your budget goal and final performance. Simple budget changes to an already budget rebuild usually falls short.

If you want to put in new piston, and do it right, you won't get there on your budget.  

I'll make a prediction, the 906 heads are junk. It is hard to make any decent power with old heads unless you put about $1500 into them.

I see this so often.  A poorly rebuilt motor is about the same as starting from scratch.  How do l know this about your motor....... The low compression pistons..........100% of the time.  

Sorry for delivering this news.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Quote from: heyoldguy on August 12, 2016, 02:27:14 PM
Here is just some food for though. Notice that the biggest increase in horsepower came from the cylinder head swap.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/dyno-testing-a-stock-1972-440.249866/

Now we did put this engine in a 1972 Satellite with 2.46:1 gears and it was a bit of a dog off the line, but it did drive around on the street very smoothly.

Oh, I do not recommend the 509 cam for this build. It just happened to be laying around so we used it.

Agreed.  Probably best bang for the buck is a small combustion chamber (75cc or less) alum. Head.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

rikubot

Quote from: BSB67 on August 12, 2016, 02:46:22 PM
It is hard to say regarding both your budget goal and final performance. Simple budget changes to an already budget rebuild usually falls short.

If you want to put in new piston, and do it right, you won't get there on your budget.  

I'll make a prediction, the 906 heads are junk. It is hard to make any decent power with old heads unless you put about $1500 into them.

I see this so often.  A poorly rebuilt motor is about the same as starting from scratch.  How do l know this about your motor....... The low compression pistons..........100% of the time.  

Sorry for delivering this news.

No need to apologize. I think we paid around 2400 to haul and do all the work back in 2002.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: BSB67 on August 12, 2016, 02:53:03 PM
Quote from: heyoldguy on August 12, 2016, 02:27:14 PM

Agreed.  Probably best bang for the buck is a small combustion chamber (75cc or less) alum. Head.

What would I need to accompany this? I'm assuming bigger carb and maybe an intake, correct?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Just got done going through cylinder heads on Jegs. Felt like a lost little puppy  :shruggy:
'69 Charger, 440/727

Brass

Quote from: rikubot on August 12, 2016, 06:28:51 PM
Just got done going through cylinder heads on Jegs. Felt like a lost little puppy  :shruggy:

I was pointing out that Jegs currently has a sale on Edelbrock E-street heads.  I don't know how long it will run though.  At the same time, Edelbrock is offering a rebate on heads purchased before September 30.  Together, that could mean decent savings.  Especially since a budget of $2,000 will limit what you are able to do.  For aluminum heads, the Edelbrock E-street 5090 would be worth looking at. Another option to consider would be the Stealth aluminum heads from 440Source.

Also, if you feel lost, it might be good to do more research and be as informed as possible before making any big decisions on what parts to spend on.  There is a lot of good information on this site.   So do some searches and keep asking questions.  You may want to look through the "Proven Combos" section to get sense of what others have done and what is possible.

rikubot

Great advice Brass. I'm clearly in over my head and now I doubt my buddy's advice on builds. He recommended the .509 in the first place. It's pretty obvious now that it's not right for my "street performer-esque" build. 2k isn't a concrete budget, mostly because I plan on spacing it out over time. I was mainly looking for a cam because it fit in my "$300 or less" monthly part budget , and was just gonna let it sit on my shelf for a while. I'd much rather do it right, spend more, and wait a lil longer.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I embarrass myself on this site daily. I can't find the "Proven Combos" section...
'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brass

Quote from: rikubot on August 12, 2016, 08:56:35 PM
I embarrass myself on this site daily. I can't find the "Proven Combos" section...

Think nothing of it!  It's a child board so a little hard to find.  : )

Stegs

i was told with my lower compression build (8.7:1) is to go with eddy e street 75CC heads

it will bump your compression about 1 full point (i was told) so thats a nice boost.

a better intake, firecore ignition and NGK plugs also help.

From there you can go with a different cam/lifters....headers etc.

My plan is to order some estreet heads, bump my compression....then move on to other things down the road

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Stegs on August 18, 2016, 09:29:42 AM
i was told with my lower compression build (8.7:1) is to go with eddy e street 75CC heads

it will bump your compression about 1 full point (i was told) so thats a nice boost.

My plan is to order some estreet heads, bump my compression....then move on to other things down the road
In my opinion, and its just that, the e street heads on this bottom end is nothing more then a "bandaid". Dont go into the purchase thinking these heads are the fix for crap pistons. Will they improve it, yes, but they wont fix it.

69wannabe

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 18, 2016, 07:32:09 PM

In my opinion, and its just that, the e street heads on this bottom end is nothing more then a "bandaid". Dont go into the purchase thinking these heads are the fix for crap pistons. Will they improve it, yes, but they wont fix it.

I agree with joe on this point, Put some good piston's in there and trash those low compression slugs and then a good set of heads will really compliment the engine and you don't have to go with the smallest combustion chamber you can find then......

rikubot

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 18, 2016, 07:32:09 PM

I see. I would rather work from the inside out anyway. What steps would I have to take to get higher compression Pistons to work?
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Depends on what you want vs what you need. They go hand in hand. You basicly have a bone stock motor less a few ponies. So what do you want EXACTLY? You said you dont want race car power but that is pretty vague too. Even saying 450 hp is vague. You can make 450 hp with a 500" stroker that idles bone stock, or you can build a 383 that idles like a super stocker and makes 450 hp. See my dilemma with your question? There are a hundred ways to answer it. We need a solid base to start with as to what you want out of the total car package.

rikubot

Thank you for clarifying. There is so much to learn and the more I learn the more I find out the less I know. I think what I want most of all out of the car is drivability. I don't go around racing people or looking for trouble, but I do like setting the rider's head back a bit when I get on the gas. I don't do a lot of cold weather driving either. What do you think?
'69 Charger, 440/727

XH29N0G

What about changing the gear ratio?  3.23 is a nice set, but I wonder if 3.55 would make a difference that would be noticeable in driving without sending the highway cruising RPM too high.   This could be done in combination with other changes. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

I would seriously consider looking at russ's build. (Bsb67) his looks bone stock, has a little rumble but still idles at 950 (i think) and will runn 11s. Its a 500" stroker that was built to cruise.

rikubot

Quote from: XH29N0G on August 19, 2016, 01:44:05 AM
What about changing the gear ratio?  3.23 is a nice set, but I wonder if 3.55 would make a difference that would be noticeable in driving without sending the highway cruising RPM too high.   This could be done in combination with other changes. 

I was considering that as well. I wish I had a buddy with those gears and a similar motor so I could feel the difference, but the only one I know has a beefed up 440 and it's not quite road ready.
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Gear swap will only change the launch through the 60'. Your car will physically be no faster through the 1/4.  Mph will be the same.

rikubot

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 19, 2016, 07:14:12 AM
I would seriously consider looking at russ's build. (Bsb67) his looks bone stock, has a little rumble but still idles at 950 (i think) and will runn 11s. Its a 500" stroker that was built to cruise.

I do like that idea. I think I would rather build a whole new motor if I was going to go that rout. I've missed out on a few cheap, low miles motor home 440s because I waiting around too long. What do you think of that idea? I'm intrigued with the striker idea, even though it doesn't sound cheap. 
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

A 440 block is a 440 block. Doesnt matter the year. When starting from scratch, the cost of 440 parts vs 572 parts are neglible.