News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good way to pep up my 440? You decide!

Started by rikubot, August 08, 2016, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I see. I very much appreciate your expertise. I think the only thing I'm sure of right now is that I need to do a LOT more research before I start buying parts. If I were to buy a 750 cfm carb, is this something that would be useful in most build routes? Currently have a 600 and everyone tells me is choking my Big Block...
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

To say "starve" is not quite the right term. The engine will use what the carb will flow at a given engine rpm. So basicly, If you never take your stock low compression 440 above 5k, your 600 is not really limiting you by much. Would a 750 improve it, probably, but doubtful you would notice a seat-o-pants meter improvement. Conversely, a 750 would be ok on a very mild 440, but not a respectable one and definatly not on a stroker. Plan your entire package on paper before you purchase any parts.

Dino

My 440 ran sweet with a 600. It couldn't keep up with the demands like a 750 or my TQ but it rarely had to do so. It was more responsive and crisp than a larger carb which makes it fun around town. Nothing wrong with a well tuned 750, which you will likely end up with it after an engine rebuild, but there's really no need for one yet. Get the engine done first and match the carb to the build, not the other way round

You could do a few cheaper mods now but it won't make much of a difference. If you want to keep driving the Charger then I say layout your build plan, find a cheap 440 block, and start buying parts.

Don't overbuild it if you just want a reliable driver with a lot of pep because that doesn't take you much beyond stock really. A well tuned stock build is a super sweet cruiser with one hell of an attitude if you piss it off!  :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rikubot

Found a 440 on Craig's, mid 70s motor home engine, less than 50k miles. Gonna go check it out on Thursday or Friday. He's asking 500 for the motor, what do you guys think?
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

500 for the block is below the market rate right now. Thats all you will end up using.

rikubot

That's what I figured. What is the usual price for a block these days?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Also, I heard once it's bad for them to try to start them after they've been sitting. I'm not sure how long this ones been sitting yet.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: Dino on August 20, 2016, 08:13:07 PM
My 440 ran sweet with a 600. It couldn't keep up with the demands like a 750 or my TQ but it rarely had to do so. It was more responsive and crisp than a larger carb which makes it fun around town. Nothing wrong with a well tuned 750, which you will likely end up with it after an engine rebuild, but there's really no need for one yet. Get the engine done first and match the carb to the build, not the other way round

You could do a few cheaper mods now but it won't make much of a difference. If you want to keep driving the Charger then I say layout your build plan, find a cheap 440 block, and start buying parts.

Don't overbuild it if you just want a reliable driver with a lot of pep because that doesn't take you much beyond stock really. A well tuned stock build is a super sweet cruiser with one hell of an attitude if you piss it off!  :2thumbs:

That's my main goal! Coonhunter was recommending a 500 stroker build so I'm looking into that now. Wide open for ideas, though. My next step is to try to get this motor, tear it down, and do the Magnaflux, then go from there.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Brass

Have you priced stroker kits?

http://www.manciniracing.com/search-results.html?catalog=chucker54&query=RB+stroker+kit&Submit=Search

A stroker motor will get you to your goal but so will a well-built 440:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.0.html

Based on what you describe, a combo like BSB67's is probably more than what you're looking for.  Indeed, after accounting for the 500" kit, accessories, machining, assembly, a Dwayne Porter custom solid cam, worked aluminum heads, intake, carb, port matching, etc. etc. – you'll be over your budget without having touched anything downstream.

If you want to stay under $2,000.00, the best bang for your buck is probably aluminum heads, a CH4B, and a 750 double pumper.  :Twocents:

Another idea is to go slow and build up a separate motor over time while you drive what you have.  :shruggy:

A stout short-block could get you started:

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/bb-short-block-description

rikubot

Yeah I looked around at them for a little while and once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I realized that 2k for a decent build was kind of a ridiculous idea. I decided to just get another block, plan out a build, and start buying parts. Im going to look at a motor home 440 on Friday. Still lookin for ideas though!
'69 Charger, 440/727

Challenger340

Quote from: rikubot on August 24, 2016, 11:00:32 PM
Yeah I looked around at them for a little while and once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I realized that 2k for a decent build was kind of a ridiculous idea. I decided to just get another block, plan out a build, and start buying parts. Im going to look at a motor home 440 on Friday. Still lookin for ideas though!

$2K don't go very far these days.
Even the cheaper stroker kits are NOT "ready to run" ootb, and require at the very least checking by your machinist / fixing as req'd if you want it right.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

rikubot

Quote from: Brass on August 24, 2016, 12:44:27 PM
Have you priced stroker kits?

http://www.manciniracing.com/search-results.html?catalog=chucker54&query=RB+stroker+kit&Submit=Search

A stroker motor will get you to your goal but so will a well-built 440:

Based on what you describe, a combo like BSB67's is probably more than what you're looking for.  Indeed, after accounting for the 500" kit, accessories, machining, assembly, a Dwayne Porter custom solid cam, worked aluminum heads, intake, carb, port matching, etc. etc. – you'll be over your budget without having touched anything downstream.

If you want to stay under $2,000.00, the best bang for your buck is probably aluminum heads, a CH4B, and a 750 double pumper.  :Twocents:

Another idea is to go slow and build up a separate motor over time while you drive what you have.  :shruggy:

A stout short-block could get you started:

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/bb-short-block-description

Thanks for the awesome links. I'm gonna do some reading tomorrow
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I'm going to check out and most likely buy that 440 tomorrow. Anything in particular I should keep my eye out for? He said it was okay if we try to get it started first to look for leaks
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I bought the sucker. $500 for the motor and tranny with the RV braking tail shaft.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rikubot

I was thinking about trying to start it up. Then after that, tear her down to the block and get it checked out. If it checks out, start planning out a build and buying the parts. Start with the cheapest ones possible haha
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I'm thinkin of a sorta tame bottom end and  thinking about trick flow heads. What do you think?
'69 Charger, 440/727

garner7555

Trick flow heads are awesome, but unless you are looking to make lots of power (I would say over 500hp) then I would think the Sidewinder heads would serve the purpose just about as well for almost half the cost.  :shruggy:    I'm not an expert on this, but everyone advised me to use sidewinders over the Trick flows because I was just building a mild street engine  (Firefighter Ron guessed my combo would make 500hp 530tq).      Everyone can be more helpful if you list your goals and your budget with as much detail as possible.    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

rikubot

Thanks for the input. I've never even heard of those. What does your build consist of? I'll do a write up with my budget and goals during my lunch. I'm runnin a little late today lol. By the way, your Charger looks unbelievably good in you profile pic. Ralley red?
'69 Charger, 440/727

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

rikubot

Thank you for the link.

I found this article online. Looks like they bored it, honed it, zero decked it, forged crank, new pistons, edelbrock heads, intake, and a big carb. What do you guys think of this build? They claim it's "budget friendly" but with mopar that's a very loose term.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-you-can-build-a-stout-537hp-street-440/
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: rikubot on September 03, 2016, 10:37:13 PM
Thank you for the link.

I found this article online. Looks like they bored it, honed it, zero decked it, forged crank, new pistons, edelbrock heads, intake, and a big carb. What do you guys think of this build? They claim it's "budget friendly" but with mopar that's a very loose term.

That will not be "street friendly" by most peoples standards. Note they dont even start the dyno to 3600. It will be skipping off the cam to 2000 rpm, require a good amount of rear gear and a loose converter. I also feel that their hp numbers are inflated a tad. Probably make closer to the 500 to 520 with that cam. Depending on your machine shop, 5-8k cost to build depending on what parts you have.

Challenger340

Quote from: rikubot on September 03, 2016, 10:37:13 PM
Thank you for the link.

We did a series of fairly Budget oriented 440's back in 2014, it was sort of chance to re-visit and update of what we have always done with 440's, because we see more Strokers nowadays than anything with not much chance to play with "just" a 440.
Nonetheless,  this last time we used the 440 Source Stealth Heads With a Porting / Prep Pkg., 91 Octane Pump Gas and Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cams

You may wish to read through the thread in it's entirety for a few ideas.... it is called "A Lowly 440 Street Engine"

We did 2 440 Engines basically same/same except Cams / one with more Head work

One Engine @ 486 HP and 550 Ft/L trq using an XE274H Cam all done by 5,000 rpm(Auto just leave in "D")
and
The other @ 545 HP and 564 Ft/Lb Trq. using an XE284H Cam for the guys wanting a little higher @ 5500 rpm(Auto or 4 stick)

I posted our findings and the Dyno Sheet results over here
Only wimps wear Bowties !

rikubot

Great article. I actually had that one book-marked under my favorites. I may try to copy one of those builds as best I can. I'd be plenty happy with either.

Right now my friend and I are trying to get the motor started, just for fun before I tear her down. Starter works, thermoquad works, coil works, fuel pump works and distributor works, but we keep getting a really weak spark. Any ideas? I did get one little pop of combustion while trying, so I know she wants start.

Also, once I get it torn down, how much should I expect to pay for a hot-tanking and sonic testing?

'69 Charger, 440/727