News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Door Barracuda - Complete

Started by ECS, March 24, 2017, 11:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Great job Dave! No small feat to be sure. What's the MSRP?   :2thumbs:

Homerr

I think it's that side profile shot that kills it.  It looks like it has some weird AMC cross-pollination.

rustafarian

Hommer you beat me to it

Killer job on the car you sick twisted Mopar freaks!!
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

wingcar

Very nice workmanship...    Interesting build to say the least.  Can't wait until SEMA to see it in person....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

stripedelete

Quote from: Homerr on April 28, 2017, 01:41:31 AM
I think it's that side profile shot that kills it.  It looks like it has some weird AMC cross-pollination.

Agree.  Side profile AND door handles.

Kern Dog

Agree? You mean Agreed?
Why would STOCK E body door handles be out of place on a STOCK type build?

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 02, 2017, 09:32:21 PM
Agree? You mean Agreed?
Why would STOCK E body door handles be out of place on a STOCK type build?

The door handles are appropriate. 

AMC really loved that style door handle and 4 of them on this build contributes to the AMC look.

bristol

Side view definitely looks like a stretched pacer.  I think it's so weird looking it's almost cool. Only word I can think of is goofy.  :rofl:

ECS

Quote from: bristol on May 03, 2017, 08:58:02 AM
Side view definitely looks like a stretched pacer. 

I can't tell the difference!  The Fenders and Quarter Panels are identical in appearance.  Even the Wheel Wells (which still have the basic stock 2 Door Barracuda shape) are indistinguishable from a "stretched" AMC Pacer.

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Kern Dog

That is funny Dave.... :2thumbs:
The roofline, while not as sleek as the traditional 2 door model, was necessary.

ECS

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 03, 2017, 06:50:10 PM
The roofline, while not as sleek as the traditional 2 door model, was necessary.

I'm just hoping that a red Pacer doesn't show up at any of the events we will be attending.  There would be a great possibility that we might accidentally take someone's AMC vehicle because they look identical.

CRW-FK5

I never fully understood the reason behind the increased height of the roof line on this car.  Why couldn't the roof line on the 2 door have been retained and just continued back on the 4 door concept car?  I'm sure there's a logical reason.  I'm just not understanding.

ECS

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on May 03, 2017, 07:04:04 PM
I never fully understood the reason behind the increased height of the roof line on this car.  Why couldn't the roof line on the 2 door have been retained and just continued back on the 4 door concept car?  I'm sure there's a logical reason.  I'm just not understanding.

You can't have a 2 door roof line on a 4 door vehicle.  The passenger rear door has to have enough headroom for a person to enter the vehicle comfortably.  Below is a comparison of Chrysler's version of their 2 door Roadrunner and 4 door Satellite.  Notice how much taller the glass had to be in order to accommodate the 4 door body style.  I think we actually did a better job of keeping a "fastback" look to our 4 Door version that Chrysler actually did with theirs.

bristol

I was meaning that in an insulting way. I like the car that's why I asked if you would make posters. That side view just has a pacer feel to it.

I guess the worst thing you can tell a car builder is that you see a little pacer influence in there car. My bad.  :brickwall:

ECS

Quote from: bristol on May 03, 2017, 07:40:22 PM
I guess the worst thing you can tell a car builder is that you see a little pacer influence in there car. My bad.  :brickwall:

The Fenders we started with were 1970 Barracuda Fenders.  The Quarter Panels we started with were 1970 Barracuda Quarter Panels.  The "custom" Doors we started with were 1970 Barracuda Door Skins.  You'll have to be specific in describing how using all 1970 Barracuda Body Panels, resulted in having an AMC Pacer appearance.  I also posted the 2 in a side by side comparison.  Could you please describe in detail the "pacer influence" that can be seen between the two vehicles?  Thanks!

bristol

Im only talking about the side windows looking that far up on the side view of it gives it a fishbowl look.

bristol

I remember now in an old thread the same thing was brought up and you got super defensive. Shouldn't have even have gave my opinion.

Kern Dog

Quote from: bristol on May 03, 2017, 08:03:03 PM
I remember now in an old thread the same thing was brought up and you got super defensive. Shouldn't have even have gave my opinion.

Maybe Dave is seeing it through his own eyes and not thinking of what the critics see.
People....The car was not designed to be accepted by everyone. I'm sure Dave knew that many would see a 4 door version of this classic style to be less desireable than the 2 door version. Myself, I cannot recall any 4 door car that looks better than the 2 door version. 4 door cars were thought of as family cars, not sporty, racy type cars. I see this as a platform to showcase a fabled "maybe they considered it" type of build along with construction standards of the highest caliber.
Again, the roof line at the rear of every American made car is taller so the average person wouldn't have to squat or stoop to get in. Imagine getting out of a car with a low roof line. You'd bump your head and refuse to ride in the back again without a helmet.

ECS

If you saw it in an old thread, then you already had the answer.  For whatever reason, some people continue to ignore the answer I have already given them.  The roof was lowered on this vehicle.  The side glass is basically the same as a 4 door Satellite or Coronet.  The belt line was lowered about an inch and a half to match the Barracuda Fenders and Quarter Panels.  Lowering the belt line made the window openings appear larger.  We lowered the roofline about an inch and a half to compensate for the belt line alterations.  People are not use to seeing a 4 door Barracuda and they have nothing to compare it with other than the 2 door model.  Like I showed in an earlier post, all 4 door vehicles had a higher window profile than their 2 door counter parts.    

ECS

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 03, 2017, 08:21:05 PM

Maybe Dave is seeing it through his own eyes and not thinking of what the critics see.

Thanks Kern!  Our intent was to make a 4 door version of the 2 door Barracuda.  We didn't have much to work with.  The entire Body of the Car had to be fabricated from scratch.  Some components required more fabrication work than others.  The final version of this Car, is what it is.  No one is asking for anyone to appreciate the car or what it looks like.  Some people like it, some hate it.  I understand both sides of the equation.  No one's opinion is wrong in how they interpret this project.  I just wanted to know where the similarities with a "Pacer" came from.  The only side similarities I can see is that both cars have Tires & Wheels, front Fenders, side Doors and Quarter Panels.  They also have a front & rear Bumper.  That being the case, I guess this 4 Door Project has something in common with just about every vehicle that was ever built.

bristol

Quote from: ECS on May 03, 2017, 08:50:48 PM

If you saw it in an old thread, then you already had the answer.  For whatever reason, some people continue to ignore the answer I have already given them.  The roof was lowered on this vehicle.  The side glass is basically the same as a 4 door Satellite or Coronet.  The belt line was lowered about an inch and a half to match the Barracuda Fenders and Quarter Panels.  Lowering the belt line made the window openings appear larger.  We lowered the roofline about an inch and a half to compensate for the belt line alterations.  People are not use to seeing a 4 door Barracuda and they have nothing to compare it with other than the 2 door model. Like I showed in an earlier post, all 4 door vehicles had a higher window profile than their 2 door counter parts.    

That's why I'm saying to me it has that fishbowl look.  That's just thru my eyes. I'm not even saying it on a negative way. I like the body shape of the pacers always have but I like corvairs ,gremlins, 4 door coronets, opels,  all that weird stuff.  I can see you could take that in a negative way but it wasn't meant to be at all.

It has nothing to do with the fact that you built this 50 years later.  I agree that's how the factory would have done it and if they did make a couple hundred thousand of them I would never think a part of it looks like a pacer. But since it's a brand new car basically that comes to mind.

crj1968

Stretched non existent Pacer or factory 4 door Hornet?   :scratchchin:

ECS

Quote from: crj1968 on May 03, 2017, 10:13:43 PM
Stretched non existent Pacer or factory 4 door Hornet?   :scratchchin:

It looks like a 4 door Hornet to me.  I certainly don't see a resemblance of a Pacer in that design.  I guess in the dark and squinting, it could pass for any 4 door that you wanted it to be.

birdsandbees

I wouldn't be squinting in the dark with that model Dave!!  :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ECS

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 03, 2017, 10:46:31 PM
I wouldn't be squinting in the dark with that model Dave!!  :icon_smile_big:

That's funny!  On a serious note, that's the great thing about this Hobby!  Everyone has an opinion and free to feel what they want about any style or model of car.  We built what we set out to build and I'm pleased with the results.  It's the only one like it in the World and could be driven from New York to California.  You would only need to stop for refueling, eating or using the restroom.  It's registered/titled with the DMV and complies with all DOT standards for a vehicle of the 1970's.