News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-body 1970 v code charger

Started by Bdlakey, April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrestorations

Quote from: chargervert on April 05, 2018, 07:40:50 PM
There is no need to rebody the car. Other than some inner roof structure pieces,every other part of the car can be bought from Auto Metal Direct. Cutoff everything that is damaged,and reconstruct it with some donor roof structure pieces and new metal. Just Check out the thread on Ted Stevens Daytona in the Aero car section on here.

Easy to say when ur not the one flipping the bill for $10k in metal plus the hundreds of hrs on tear down, fitting and welding.

chargervert

I have seen many members go to great lengths to save a Charger. I from the mindset that I would rather see a Charger saved than scrapped and gone forever. The market will determine the cars value should you decide to sell it when it is done.

Bdlakey

I am footing the bill because it's my car and I have a restoration shop. Absolutely worth every penny and hour to save it. They will never make anymore of these cars. If I had to pay a shop to have it done, I would not see the money versus buying a finished car.

chargervert

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 05, 2018, 07:59:03 PM
Quote from: chargervert on April 05, 2018, 07:40:50 PM
There is no need to rebody the car. Other than some inner roof structure pieces,every other part of the car can be bought from Auto Metal Direct. Cutoff everything that is damaged,and reconstruct it with some donor roof structure pieces and new metal. Just Check out the thread on Ted Stevens Daytona in the Aero car section on here.

Easy to say when ur not the one flipping the bill for $10k in metal plus the hundreds of hrs on tear down, fitting and welding.

I have flipped the bill more than a dozen times rebuilding Chargers over the last 30 years,cutting fitting and welding,body working and painting too.

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: Bdlakey on April 05, 2018, 07:52:43 PM
No difference in buying a completely rusted out car and putting China metal on it 😂😂😂

You are 100% correct, they are no different and also worth less than an original imo. 

Lennard

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on April 05, 2018, 08:16:17 PM
Quote from: Bdlakey on April 05, 2018, 07:52:43 PM
No difference in buying a completely rusted out car and putting China metal on it 😂😂😂

You are 100% correct, they are no different and also worth less than an original imo.  
Again... who gives two sh!ts that the car is going to be worth less than an original? Not every Charger owner is in it for the money and/or a greedy d!ck.

chargervert

An original sheetmetal car that has never had rust repair is always top of the food chain when it comes to Chargers. The next best thing is a solid car with minimal  rust repair needed.  But this is not usually the case with second gen Chargers,most need extensive rust repair. Fortunately the parts are available to save almost any charger. When they were not available,good used or NOS parts were the only way to build these cars. I have paid the long buck for NOS Charger sheetmetal,and believe me when I tell you ten grand dosen't go far buying NOS parts.

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: Lennard on April 05, 2018, 08:24:11 PM
Again... who gives two sh!ts that the car is going to be worth less than an original? Not every Charger owner is in it for the money and/or a greedy d!ck.

Apparently, per the subject, the OP does care.  Re-body correlates to value in this case.  I could care less what it's worth.  I am saying, build the clean 318 and drive it.  Don't even hassle with just a cowl.  Why else is the v code in question other than value?  To "claim" this car is an original six pack car to others?  It will be a tiny fraction of it and that is all.  If that's what he wants to have, great for him.  I wish they were all worth about 3k.  I am not in it for the money. 

chargervert

Or maybe he just wants to save a rare car. I believe that only 337 automatic and 339 4 speed 70 V code Charger R/Ts were built in 1970. I have a white automatic 70 V code Charger R/T. It sounds like he has the shop,skills,and means to do so.

Edelbroke

after 5 pages of comments I'm ready for a picture of this car

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: chargervert on April 05, 2018, 09:16:56 PM
Or maybe he just wants to save a rare car. I believe that only 337 automatic and 339 4 speed 70 V code Charger R/Ts were built in 1970. I have a white automatic 70 V code Charger R/T. It sounds like he has the shop,skills,and means to do so.

Yep, saving the VIN, partial firewall and some floor.  Call it what you want.  

Back N Black

I was in the exact situation, a rusted out 69 Charger R/T and I had a very solid 69 base model. I removed all the parts off the R/T and built the Base charger, I did not change the VIN's. I removed the engine, trans, rear end, complete interior, grill, all glass etc from the R/T, so I guess you could say my car is a re-body from a R/T to a XP car, depends how you look at it. But nobody cars if you are going the other way. The thing is I left the R/T for dead, not much left really, but someone bought it and now its back on the road.

alfaitalia

That's the whole point....HE'S NOT SAVING IT.....he's building another one that looks like it with the same VIN. Its a copy, a clone even a forgery if you want...call it what you will. What it will never be is that original car saved!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargervert

According to the OP,he is not moving the VIN to another body,AKA a rebody,but he is reconstructing the car using the original firewall and floorpans etc.  The debate goes on about how much of the original car is needed to consider the car a reconstruction. Look at the V code 71 Cuda on Graveyard Carz,or the 71 Hemicuda convertible that was built from just a cowl. Or the Ted Stevens Daytona,or the barrel Cuda. Some of these cars have sold for serious money. The 71 Hemicuda convertible sold for 1.3 million dollars not long ago. The market will determine what these reconstructed cars are worth,and that is what someone is willing to pay for them.

Ghoste

How much is the unanswerable question.

cbrestorations

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 06, 2018, 03:18:53 AM

That's the whole point....HE'S NOT SAVING IT.....he's building another one that looks like it with the same VIN. Its a copy, a clone even a forgery if you want...call it what you will. What it will never be is that original car saved!

But you can't prove it's not  When done right 😁

70 sublime

Quote from: chargervert on April 06, 2018, 06:05:42 AM
According to the OP,he is not moving the VIN to another body,AKA a rebody,but he is reconstructing the car using the original firewall and floorpans etc.  The debate goes on about how much of the original car is needed to consider the car a reconstruction. Look at the V code 71 Cuda on Graveyard Carz,or the 71 Hemicuda convertible that was built from just a cowl. Or the Ted Stevens Daytona,or the barrel Cuda. Some of these cars have sold for serious money. The 71 Hemicuda convertible sold for 1.3 million dollars not long ago. The market will determine what these reconstructed cars are worth,and that is what someone is willing to pay for them.

Yes things are worth lots with good numbers on the VIN and fender tag
But the better question is would any of these fancy cars sold for lots more if they were 100% original from factory never pieced together ??
And if they are worth more how many years and how many owners later do some of the past details get forgotten on the pieced together cars ????
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

alfaitalia

...and that's the problem......someone buying it thinking its got most of the original body...rather than a glorified kit car!.....and then thinking they have the real deal. I regardless of what's been said about values of the recreated cars, they will never be worth anything like the same value to me....but that's just me. If I buy something old id like it to actually be old!! Luckily I cant really get panels here...takes too long ....cost too much so mine it pretty much original....just with a lot of patches...lol! But it does not matter as it was a 318...isn't now and is so modded that its really a car that's based on a Charger body...I'm never going to convince anyone its anything else...lol! Wont be worth much to anyone...except me!

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 02, 2018, 04:28:27 PM
Why's everyone giving this lad such grief, while everyone watches chop cut rebuild as they build a car from Ted's VIN tag..  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

Most valuable post award right here lol.

The stephens daytona has what one inner rocker and part of the inner roof structure? Rest is dead.

Hats off to the other show was it graveyard cars ? that declined to touch the ravine daytona thats been posted on here. Which is probably noworse than the chop cut rebuild tona.

CRW-FK5

You can be sure he's getting his share of "grief" too.  There's no inconsistency here.

alfaitalia

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on April 06, 2018, 12:26:07 PM
You can be sure he's getting his share of "grief" too.  There's no consistency here.

FTFY.

Charger-Bodie

in my opinion its parts to fix a car. period.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chargervert

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 06, 2018, 08:45:25 AM

But the better question is would any of these fancy cars sold for lots more if they were 100% original from factory never pieced together ??
And if they are worth more how many years and how many owners later do some of the past details get forgotten on the pieced together cars ????

Having heard what Graveyard carz charges for a restoration,I would say that the owner would have been way ahead of the game buying a done original 71 v code Cuda verses saving the destroyed carcus of the 71 V code Cuda that he paid the bill to save. Sometimes its more about the challenge than the value!

moparstuart

Quote from: chargervert on April 06, 2018, 03:34:54 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on April 06, 2018, 08:45:25 AM

Having heard what Graveyard carz charges for a restoration,I would say that the owner would have been way ahead of the game buying a done original 71 v code Cuda verses saving the destroyed carcus of the 71 V code Cuda that he paid the bill to save. Sometimes its more about the challenge than the value!
and that car is now just a rebody 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DAY CLONA

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 06, 2018, 10:37:15 AM

Hats off to the other show was it graveyard cars ? that declined to touch the ravine daytona thats been posted on here. Which is probably noworse than the chop cut rebuild tona.

The "ravine" Tona' was a joke at best, not even a slice of toast from the fragments left, that would have been just a blatant VIN swap (envelope car),
....at least with a rebody, it will utilize 2 or more vehicles in it's reconstruction...

FWIW, the GYC Cuda had pretty much nothing left to start with after it's blown out carcass was stripped, 2 rockers (barely) and an internal roof brace, and a VIN tag...the "rest" of the pieces in the pic of it on the jig is donor rails, braces, A pillars, etc before all AMD's repro metal was added... then walla!...a Chinese rebody appears at GYC's shop and the viewers rejoice over another great accomplishment that "only a few can do".... :icon_smile_big:

Personally I have ZERO issues with a Chinese rebody or in this case basically a replacement body, I just love Wormans ass kissing and blind eye alignment to be part of the anti-rebody crowd...