News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

A big shout out to Wayne Perkins for getting me a COMPLETE heater box for my 500... AND original 69 Charger 500 front fender filler rubber molding... That is a big one for that original component spirit I am trying to provide for this 500. Big deal to me. Being that I know what they look like it always bugs me when I don't have that. The reproduction rubber strip is on the left and the 2 on the right are original..
Also from Bruce Somer on the restoration of my 3speed wiper, thanks to Tony DAgostino for finding for the exact date code wiper I needed for my 500..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi-hampton

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 05, 2020, 07:07:17 PM
should the wiper date code be closer to 2348? :scratchchin:

Nope. I got information from Danny and I have spoken to Richard who owns car 925000. His 500 and the other two Danny knows about all have wipers with a date code of 197. So, when 3 of the 4 known original 6 Press Release cars have 1978 as a date code, I'm going with that. Still can't believe Tony had one laying around......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mopar John

Troy,
It is great that you found a 197 8 date coded wiper motor!
Having a car built in a early batch with other survivors will help you a lot to confirm correct parts.
MJ

hemi-hampton

I guess I forgot or didn't consider the month it sat at Creative being converted to a 500 :scratchchin: :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Operation Heater box Charger 500;
Haven't updated in a while since I have been in a slight hiatus with my Hemi C500....
Pretty much done.. Just have to hook up my cables.. And nope, didn't paint the cable brackets silver.. Just left them natural and coated them after cleaning with a clear anti-corrosion spray..
My little part-number stamp comes in handy again for its purpose..
Troy

panhead

69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 21, 2020, 03:55:54 PM
Operation Heater box Charger 500;
Haven't updated in a while since I have been in a slight hiatus with my Hemi C500....
Pretty much done.. Just have to hook up my cables.. And nope, didn't paint the cable brackets silver.. Just left them natural and coated them after cleaning with a clear anti-corrosion spray..
My little part-number stamp comes in handy again for its purpose..

Heater box?  One thing I don't have to worry about!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Operation control arms;
Today spent some time on the restoration it the control arms of my Hemi Charger 500. Using the PST LCA bushing. Still need to install the upper control support collar on each unit. I used Krylon Battery Protector to coat then sprayed with Matte Clear. For me it duplicates the Cosmoline good.
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation 8 3/4 differential in my C500;
Here are some pictures of the rear axle housing for my 69 Charger 500. I also include pictures from my friend's 69 Charger R/T SE equipped with a 3.55 sure-grip. I can see where his housing reflects 591, which will be on his broadcast sheet, my stenciling, based on the broadcast sheet should be 592. It is my understanding that would be 3.23 sure-grip.
His third member has quite the paint codes and I am sure all that equates to 3.55 sure-grip. What would the 3.23 equivalent be? He has the white circle with an "X" which, if I recall means the sure-grip or the housing has been filled with gear lube. What's up with the big yellow "B"? What I am basically getting to in the stenciling/markings I would expect on a 3.23 sure-grip on a Hemi Car(not it matters). My friend's axle housing also has some white stenciling on the other tube. What's up with that?
Troy

taxspeaker

Looking great Troy. With a Hemi I am surprised by the 8 and 3/4 rear, but I guess it is because it's maybe an automatic transmission?

odcics2

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 27, 2020, 11:21:20 AM
Looking great Troy. With a Hemi I am surprised by the 8 and 3/4 rear, but I guess it is because it's maybe an automatic transmission?

Mopar circle track race cars all used an 8 3/4.

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 27, 2020, 11:21:20 AM

Yeap, for this application.... Now, it isn't always the case.. If the car would have been built with the A32 Super High Performance Package, 4.10 gear ratio with a 727, you would have gotten the Dana 60. The auto version is akin the the A34 Super Track Pak 4.10 Dana60 4speed configuration. I have owned a A32 C500 and my Daytona is a A32 car. The 3.23 and 3.55 ration 727 cars all received the 8.75 differential.

Heck, my 1st '68 Hemi Charger R/T I had years ago was a 727, 8.75 3.23 with an OPEN rear.. Didn't even have a sure-grip....
Troy

hemi-hampton

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 27, 2020, 08:10:26 AM
Operation 8 3/4 differential in my C500;
Here are some pictures of the rear axle housing for my 69 Charger 500. I also include pictures from my friend's 69 Charger R/T SE equipped with a 3.55 sure-grip. I can see where his housing reflects 591, which will be on his broadcast sheet, my stenciling, based on the broadcast sheet should be 592. It is my understanding that would be 3.23 sure-grip.
His third member has quite the paint codes and I am sure all that equates to 3.55 sure-grip. What would the 3.23 equivalent be? He has the white circle with an "X" which, if I recall means the sure-grip or the housing has been filled with gear lube. What's up with the big yellow "B"? What I am basically getting to in the stenciling/markings I would expect on a 3.23 sure-grip on a Hemi Car(not it matters). My friend's axle housing also has some white stenciling on the other tube. What's up with that?

The big yellow B i'm pretty sure it designates to be used in B-Body cars. The white Stenciling with x & numbers on housing tube should be date & that date or similar date should be under a rib or fin on 3rd member. a orange dab after the 3 colors used to designate the gear ratio should mean sure grip which can also be found near filler hole. I'd have to refer to my old notes on what 3 colors dabs you should have for a 3:23. LEON.

hemi-hampton

pics for example.

aerolith

Very nice work there Troy!

Unfortunately your WM is a 1978...(should be a 68) :scratchchin: :slap: :smilielol:
And the front spring brackets are backwards too... :shruggy: ::) :RantExplode:

Are you in touch with Julius these days?
I need to send him my spare set of wide pad hemi rockers.

John
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Quote from: aerolith on September 30, 2020, 08:37:10 AM

Unfortunately your WM is a 1978...(should be a 68) :scratchchin: :slap: :smilielol:

John

- 1978 is the 197th day of 1968.... That is exactly what Richards 925000 car has (the survivor in multiple magazines).. Wait, I think you are pulling my leg...  ;D

- If you are referring to the picture of the springs connected to a housing, that was hemi-hampton's reference picture, not mine.

I speak to Julius usually on a daily basis of not a couple times a week....
Troy

hemi-hampton

Quote from: aerolith on September 30, 2020, 08:37:10 AM

John

The front Spring Bracket freely rotates back & forth when not bolted in the car. In that pic it was just pushed back. it would take 2 seconds to grab it by the hand & rotate it forward. Here's pics of them in different rotated positions. :shruggy:

69 500

odcics2

Quote from: 69 500 on September 30, 2020, 07:41:09 PM
are the the correct U bolts for the rear axel ??

OEM is slightly flattened on top with "xxxxxxx" on the underside to grip the axle.

I found NOS ones, 9" long for the #88.   It ran 1.5" lowering blocks in it for the 200 mph record run. 
Hard to find those long Mopar u bolts...  The original 88 axle had plenty of witness marks on it: xxxxxxxxxxx.......

FYI - 88 uses rear shackles that are stock B Body station wagon. Offset on the upper side.

69 500

birdsandbees

What's your point and who's work are you picking on? Show us some pics of yours..

No wonder guys stop sharing their work and get off these forums!

Which of these U bolt pics do you think show the correct bolt??
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hemi-hampton

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 01, 2020, 08:59:18 PM
What's your point and who's work are you picking on? Show us some pics of yours..

No wonder guys stop sharing their work and get off these forums!

Which of these U bolt pics do you think show the correct bolt??

Yeah, Thanks, that is why I stopped posting pics. I post a Resto Pic and somebody always sez something like is that the correct anchor marking on the top of those bolts? To answer his Question, The owner of the 69 Roadrunner I restored decided to go out a buy new Super Stock Leaf Springs kit with the brackets, U-Bolts ect., ect., all bought together from Mancini Racing here in Fraser Michigan. Since I & the Roadrunner owner live close by to Mancini Racing & deal with them all the time it's convienant for us to pick up any part we need in person from them. Not sure if you ever heard of Mancini Racing or are familiar with them. Anyways I let the Customers do what they want & do what they tell me. After he took car Home he spray bombed alot of stuff under hood wrong color, ect, ect. I told him that & that is wrong but he was convinced he did it right. Then when he takes to show & people see my name on it they assume I spray bombed stuff & did stuff wrong, not the owner. Sabotaged. The owner of this car was less concerned with 100% correctness then I was. And some people have no desire to look & wait 10 years to find NOS parts that are going to cost them 10,000 times the price of a non correct part. This car was no $100k+ 100 point Mopar Nats,ect, ect show car but a low budget Resto.He was very happy when car was done. it's no trailer Queen, He enjoys driving it often. It was  good enough for Chrysler to invite him to the Chrysler Display Parking lot at Woodward Cruise (along with my E5 red 70 T/A Challenger) Probably helped he worked at the Chrysler Museum.  :shruggy: :Twocents: :slap: