News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 grill on 68 charger?

Started by caseycs21, January 06, 2008, 08:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseycs21

Hi guys-- Im new to this website-- its my first post here.  Over the last few years Ive become extremely interested in 1968-70 Chargers.  Due to this, I have been searching tirelessly for a good deal on one.  Im pretty handy when it comes to working on cars-- I completely restored a 69 Mustang when I was in high school, and am currently helping my dad repair an 82 collectors edition corvette that rolled through a barbed wire fence.  Anyway, as I said, Im pretty handy, but am fresh out of college and dont have lots ofmoney to spend.  I particularly want a 1970 Charger.  However, I have found an amazing deal on a 68-- a deal that I can afford.  It does need some work, but I can smooth over the body and paint it myself.  This 68 Charger currently has a 69 grille.  My question is, is possible to put the 70 grille and wrap around cromepiece on a 68?  Im unsure if the size of both would allow this.  Also, are the split grille and grille itself on the 69 2 different pieces, or one?  If they are 2 different pieces, Im assuming I could take off the split piece, add the wrap around chrome, and have the look of the 70 Charger.  Anyway, thanks for any information forthcoming.  If I do nab this car, Ill be on these forums quite a lot,pestering everyone with questions.  Thanks a bunch!

Charger-Bodie

You would need a bunch of other 70 parts to make the grill swap posible IE: fenders, hood ,radiator supt,valance,wiring.etc.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 06, 2008, 08:28:43 PM
You would need a bunch of other 70 parts to make the grill swap posible IE: fenders, hood ,radiator supt,valance,wiring.etc.
:iagree: The wraparound bumper requires a shortened hood and fenders as well as the right bumper brackets. Also, the lower valence is different too and the headlights are electrically operated instead of vaccuum. Even after swapping the front end the taillights, side marker lights, and interior are completely different. The 69 Charger grill is nearly identical to the 68 except for the center section (which is interchangeable). Do you just not like the looks of a 68? You could sell the 69 grill for a decent price but probably not enough to buy a nice 70 replacement.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

caseycs21

Thankss for the info guys.  I like the looks of the 68-- its just that Ilike the looks of the 70 more.  Sounds like its a doable project-- however, I may be jumping the gun too soon.  I think Ill simply keep my eyes peeled for a true 70.  Thanks.

mally69

If you like the 70 then buy a 70, never get somthing that isn't what you want, cause in the end you wont be happy other wise. :Twocents: :Twocents:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: caseycs21 on January 06, 2008, 08:47:21 PM
Thankss for the info guys.  I like the looks of the 68-- its just that Ilike the looks of the 70 more.  Sounds like its a doable project-- however, I may be jumping the gun too soon.  I think Ill simply keep my eyes peeled for a true 70.  Thanks.

IMHO, get a 70 selling your 68...

and if you still likes more 68 tail... will be "easier" talking for parts, change the tail panel since they are being repopped now. 68 Tail lights are not EXTREMELLY hard to find, and lenses are being also reppoped.

cheaper total shipping cost too if you don't find locally
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 06, 2008, 10:02:23 PM

and if you still likes more 68 tail... will be "easier" talking for parts, change the tail panel since they are being repopped now. 68 Tail lights are not EXTREMELLY hard to find, and lenses are being also reppoped.

If you read his original post youll see that he hadnt bought a Charger yet, and is doing his homework to find the answers BEFORE he has the problem.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 06, 2008, 10:06:29 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 06, 2008, 10:02:23 PM

If you read his original post youll see that he hadnt bought a Charger yet, and is doing his homework to find the answers BEFORE he has the problem.

That's a really good time to do it. :2thumbs: Seems like we get way more people coming here and asking about stuff like hlpag after they buy from them than before. BTW, Casey, steer clear of hlpag.com.

Mike DC

Yes, stay clear of HLPAG/Ludke Auto dealership in Lake Villa, Illinois. 
MUCHO scams from that outfit.  They prey on the enthusiastic and uninformed. 

The 1970 Chargers can actually be an easier find in a lot of cases.  The '68/69s probably have more fans as a whole.

Nacho-RT74

wooooops LOL... sorry... well, you got the idea LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

caseycs21

Thanks for the info, guys!  And I appreciate the heads up on hlpag.  I knew I shd have kept looking for the 70...I guess I got a little excited when I found the good deal on the 68.  So, as some of you suggested, Im simply gonna keep searching for a 70.