News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona In Australia! - Chryslers on the Murray 2020

Started by Tim L, May 17, 2008, 01:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

All I saw was the bird in one pic!!! You got a license to fly it!! :lol: That color grows on me everytime I see it!! looks great!! :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Tim L

Traveled to Bacchus Marsh Saturday morning and picked up the car from the painters. Stopped for a late lunch about an hour from home only to find, a mate of mine had already seen the car parked while we were having lunch and left me a phone message telling me how terrible it looked! The world is to small of a place, but sometimes that's a good thing..... Rang a guy in Chalfont PA this morning who had a wanted add over on Moparts and queried him about whether he ever knew of this Daytona. He turned around and said, "yeah sure, I was only talking about that car to a buddy of mine two days ago, sat down besides a house as a wreck for a few years right?". His buddy apparently knows the owner of the car, so maybe this will end the four year long search... Some photos of the trip and a couple of progress shots from what time we had left on the weekend after a few little tweaks here and there.

Hope I'm not boring you, Tim.
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

Tim L

JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

Charger-Bodie

There is no posible way for a Daytona to be boring!

Even more so, Id be extra excited if someone was setting things on it.  :-\
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

djcarguy

deafenantly not boring me or anyone ,with the story and pics of saving this awesum car.  paint looks greater than any factory green color i pictured or remember ever seeing.awesum looking ,great save from shape it came ta ya in.

that is so pretty,think i would have had to get armored car or padded enclosed armored truck with guards to haul home?   looks great and yes please bore us with lots of pics as ya guys put it back together,great stuff there.

i tryied to get a green daytona like that 20 some years ago in eugene,oregon.was missing nose and had fender damage and intake was gone. wing was on his dodge pickup and he would talk but not sell.then he moved and car disappeared,like 20 years now,no clue where?
   take care,,,send pics,or post...thanks dj.oregon

1966hemi

I LIKE IT a LOT! Looking forward to the complete car photos! :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

Car is awesome glad to hear you established contact wtih someone from Chalfont PA keep us updated
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

dads_69

Wow, looks beautiful! I wish the guy ya' bought the Daytona from would have tears if he seen it now. Great progress, can't wait to see it completed and road worthy.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Indygenerallee

Looks great! I think I would have my butt puckered with the way that thing is riding home on the trailer and the little El camino truck looks like it's about to take a dump pulling the trailer!  :icon_smile_big: Keep the pics a comin'

C500

Tim, the car looks superb. Keep boring us with more shots and info  :2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Charger-Bodie

Not to be a bearer of bad news , but He painted the tail panel too far. The black is supposed to stop under the chrome not the quarter extention.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Indygenerallee

CudaJames69

Quote from: dads_69 on March 18, 2012, 02:37:34 PM
Wow, looks beautiful! I wish the guy ya' bought the Daytona from would have tears if he seen it now. Great progress, can't wait to see it completed and road worthy.

Why would you wish that on Tom ???????????

:flame:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dads_69

Quote from: CudaJames69 on March 18, 2012, 04:59:03 PM

Simple, I meant he would have tears I'm guessing seeing the car restored, not like rubbing it in the guys face and being a smartass comment. Get my point now? A friend of mine here know's the guy who owned the Daytona when it was damaged & long story, but just glad to see car almost done.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CudaJames69

Quote from: dads_69 on March 18, 2012, 08:06:18 PM
Quote from: CudaJames69 on March 18, 2012, 04:59:03 PM

Simple, I meant he would have tears I'm guessing seeing the car restored, not like rubbing it in the guys face and being a smartass comment. Get my point now? A friend of mine here know's the guy who owned the Daytona when it was damaged & long story, but just glad to see car almost done.

OK .  :2thumbs: I am very good friends with Tom & don't take digs at him lightly  :D.
maybe the word wish should have been bet  :Twocents:
  He is actually glad seeing the car get done right . Also makes him think about the guys that looked at it for him & told him everything needed to be replaced & these guys fixed it all .

Troy

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 18, 2012, 04:09:47 PM
Not to be a bearer of bad news , but He painted the tail panel too far. The black is supposed to stop under the chrome not the quarter extention.

Are you sure? I did a quick scan through some pictures I have and it seems that most have black at least to the outer edge of the trim if not all the way under the quarter extension. That doesn't mean they are correct of course but I think some are either original or high-end restorations.

Never mind, I see some close-ups now. I was looking at the bottom edge (which many times does appear to be coming from under the quarter extension) but the noticeable spot is on the top edge where the trim doesn't quite meet the extension. Here's some references:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,40377.msg449088.html#msg449088
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59818.msg670874.html#msg670874
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48725.msg865425.html#msg865425
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33799.msg880291.html#msg880291

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

DAY CLONA

He is actually glad seeing the car get done right . Also makes him think about the guys that looked at it for him & told him everything needed to be replaced & these guys fixed it all .

I seen Tom drag this car  all over the east coast and midwest for what seemed decades, talked with him a few times regarding either purchase or "rebuilding" it, and while yes it was restorable, and Tom had amassed quite a few parts, Tom wanted to try and maintain the car's originality, somewhat...Back in the day we restored cars like the way Tim and his  crew did, we had to, parts for Chrysler were scarce, new or used, and something as limited, like a Daytona only complicated issues further,..Tim on the other hand is handicapped by the fact he's 17,000+ miles away from the US, American cars are few and far between, nevermind 69 Daytona's, plus Australia has always been starved for American cars, parts, new or used, even shipping new repro sheetmetal over is cost prohibitive,...so Aussies have adapted just like early American Craftsman,...you ain't got no spare parts!, so you learn to fix what you have!

Although Tom asked me at various times if I was interested in "restoring" the Daytona, the amount of work need to "save" the original shell, and return it back to original would have produced an ASTRONOMICAL labour bill,...far more than Tom had budgeted, so the alternative was repro/clean used sheetmetal substituted to keep the project within budget, even then still a sizable amount of $$$$$ needed to invest in a project like this, plus I'm sure as Tom can agree, as well as others, projects like this, start "snowballing" big time, dollar wise, and one soon finds themselves in the dilemma, do I dump more money into it?, or do I cut my losses and sell it?.....

I will say Tim and Crew did an AWESOME job of bringing the car back from the dead, no small task, dollar wise, or man hour wise, a ton of effort....more than I would have wanted to put into that car, even if the customer could have afforded it,..........had I bought it I would have merely "re-bodied" it, and been done with it, but the asking price was prohibitive, in that it would have only yielded a small amount of parts to dollar value invested to qualify it as a good re-body" canidate IMHO

Mike

Mike

bigfastjohn

Please keep in mind that when we bought this car on Ebay we paid considerably !!!!!  less than Tom had been asking around the swap meets. Also both Occa and Craig the body guys  and the painter were more than reasonable with their . rates.  Hell you could nearly buy a good running car now for what was being asked for the wreck at the time.    Tims Dad  John

GL#10

Daytona Looks great !!  , keep the progress pics coming ,  speaking of Daytona's  In Australia , i spotted a blue one being towed on Picton rd towards Wollongong NSW , a few weeks back .

K.c

Tim L

QuoteDaytona Looks great !!  , keep the progress pics coming ,  speaking of Daytona's  In Australia , i spotted a blue one being towed on Picton rd towards Wollongong NSW , a few weeks back .

K.c

Definitely a Daytona? Or possibly a Superbird?
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

GL#10

"Definitely a Daytona? Or possibly a Superbird?"

Daytona  .

K.c

CudaJames69

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 21, 2012, 05:59:53 AM

I seen Tom drag this car  all over the east coast and midwest for what seemed decades, talked with him a few times regarding either purchase or "rebuilding" it, and while yes it was restorable, and Tom had amassed quite a few parts, Tom wanted to try and maintain the car's originality, somewhat...Back in the day we restored cars like the way Tim and his  crew did, we had to, parts for Chrysler were scarce, new or used, and something as limited, like a Daytona only complicated issues further,..Tim on the other hand is handicapped by the fact he's 17,000+ miles away from the US, American cars are few and far between, nevermind 69 Daytona's, plus Australia has always been starved for American cars, parts, new or used, even shipping new repro sheetmetal over is cost prohibitive,...so Aussies have adapted just like early American Craftsman,...you ain't got no spare parts!, so you learn to fix what you have!

Although Tom asked me at various times if I was interested in "restoring" the Daytona, the amount of work need to "save" the original shell, and return it back to original would have produced an ASTRONOMICAL labour bill,...far more than Tom had budgeted, so the alternative was repro/clean used sheetmetal substituted to keep the project within budget, even then still a sizable amount of $$$$$ needed to invest in a project like this, plus I'm sure as Tom can agree, as well as others, projects like this, start "snowballing" big time, dollar wise, and one soon finds themselves in the dilemma, do I dump more money into it?, or do I cut my losses and sell it?.....

I will say Tim and Crew did an AWESOME job of bringing the car back from the dead, no small task, dollar wise, or man hour wise, a ton of effort....more than I would have wanted to put into that car, even if the customer could have afforded it,..........had I bought it I would have merely "re-bodied" it, and been done with it, but the asking price was prohibitive, in that it would have only yielded a small amount of parts to dollar value invested to qualify it as a good re-body" canidate IMHO

Mike

Mike

I'm just going by what Tom & I spoke about . I don't know who he spoke with , or prices .

Someone somewhere told it couldn't be saved & everything had to be replaced  . :shruggy:

It certainly was not a dig at you guys . The cars you put out are phenominal .  :2thumbs: :drool5:

bigfastjohn

No ofence taken I just wanted to keep things in perspective the car probably now owes us about what we could buy a running one  for ,but we have saved a classic and know exactly what we have. Were not going to have bondo falling out and rust beneath and it is a great experiance for Tim