News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ebay and killer deals on superbirds

Started by petercharger, March 16, 2009, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

To be honest with you, I think that if I had put the steel wheels on the bee before I promised to sell it to you, it just might still be sitting in the warehouse. Looks a whole lot better than those 14" road wheels. I had to keep those road wheels because they're the original wheels for the matching numbers vit c runner.

Oh, and my brother-in-law called today and he wants to put a bird wing on the black 440-6, 4-speed 69 runner that I'm building for him. That makes four local people that have decided to put wings on their chargers and runners this week. These people are nuts.
I told them all that it was a bad idea and that it would look like crap.  :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 18, 2009, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: 62 Max on March 18, 2009, 09:30:52 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 18, 2009, 09:24:01 AM
Quote from: 70daytonaclone on March 18, 2009, 08:44:25 AM
these cars where mad for a reason, so the factory could race them. they are not race cars just cheap imitation copies. (therefore these are nothing but a factory clone of a race car) as far as a part of race history that is it.

Are you kidding me?

I think he has the statement backwards as far as cloning.

I 100% Agree

Been away a few days and just want to say that the above statement meant that the "race cars" were the clones - not the factory built for human consumption cars. The opposite of what the original poster wrote. I have nothing against a clone and respect the hard work that goes into building one.

notabird

When prices started getting crazy I worried about driving the daytona but a friend said that is what insurance is for.It is still alittle unnerving to see people drive towards you while they are looking at the car. I enjoy driving the cars but my favorite is our 69 charger-- no matter how bad a day you have had a few miles behind the wheel and all is forgotten.

hotrod98

You drive these cars enough and they will get damaged. It's not if...it's when.
We had a lady change lanes and run us into the next lane just last week while driving the Roadrunner. You would think that people could see a land yacht coming down the road.
The down side of having an accident would be having to locate the parts and then having to paint the entire car because of the difficulty of matching old faded paint. That and not getting to drive the car for a while.

Charles Addams

maxwellwedge

I was only ever nervous about driving one car....so I sold it. I drive the rest of them whenever I can.

nascarxx29

Thats cool 69 runners going around with bird wings.Back in the day a guy Rich Miental had a daytona wing on a 69 charger 500

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

So maxwellwedge, when are you going to hop in the Doc Tona and drive it down to Indy for me to look it over. I'm free most weekends. :)

Just kidding, I do intend to get up that way to check the car out though before the summer is through.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on March 20, 2009, 03:45:48 PM
So maxwellwedge, when are you going to hop in the Doc Tona and drive it down to Indy for me to look it over. I'm free most weekends. :)

Just kidding, I do intend to get up that way to check the car out though before the summer is through.

As soon as it's finished I am driving it....maybe not as far as Indy - but I'm driving it!  :drive:

Come on up!

pettybird

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 20, 2009, 09:56:33 AM

why would you think that?  OBVIOUSLY your risk goes up, but to what end?  not every car ends up wrecked, and certainly not every car involved in an accident is a total loss.  besides, the down time you'll spend parts hunting means you won't be driving the car...like you wouldn't be driving it if you just left it parked.  they're not daily drivers.  our cars came cheap--the B5 car cost $2400 in 1976.  if it had gotten wrecked three weeks later, the insurance company would have written a check for the value of the car, just like they'd do today.  it would just be a lot bigger number.  

also, think about what happens to a car that doesn't get driven.  I drove one on Wednesday--an '80 Turbo Trans Am with 5600 miles.  coolant hose went pop.  mechanical things don't like getting mothballed.  

i know there's a large group of people who enjoy owning cars to simply own (and not drive) them, but I'll never understand.  

62 Max

We had a lady change lanes and run us into the next lane just last week while driving the Roadrunner. You would think that people could see a land yacht coming down the road.
The down side of having an accident would be having to locate the parts and then having to paint the entire car because of the difficulty of matching old faded paint. That and not getting to drive the car for a while.

27 yrs and 16,000mi,guess I've been lucky! :shruggy:If something were to happen,so be it.It's insured and I personally can't see having something i cant drive.If some want to drag their car around on a trailer,that's their choice and,they are at just as much risk and possibly more.Ever see someone lose a trailer? I have.

talkiemopar

I have 154,000 miles on the bird and loved every one of them. Just look at the top of my drivers door---no paint,but i had fun :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :vert:

hotrod98

You guys are not driving these cars as much as I'm talking about. 16,000 miles in 27 years isn't exactly driving a car. That's 1.5 miles a day.
No wonder you've never had an accident. My mom drives further than that to bingo and back. I drove the runner over 500 miles last week. Now that's driving. True, there are only 250,000 people in this little backwoods part of Arkansas, but that's enough people on the road for me. It was great before the snowbirds started moving down. Nothing against the people, just the numbers of people.  ;D

I guess having been an insurance adjustor and then a body shop manager for the last 30 years has made me bitter. I've had to deal with multiple accidents almost every day. The drivers that are on the road today in no way resemble the drivers of twenty or more years ago. There are far more cars, the drivers are easily distracted (cell phones) and many of them are downright morons. Add into the equation the high mounted taillamps on all new vehicles manufactured in the last 20 years. That means that nearly 100% of all cars on the highway have the hmtl's.  People just don't look down to see the brake lamps nowadays and they especially don't see our 40 year old non-led taillamps.

I agree about not driving a car being bad for them. I have a full time job keeping the batteries up on all of my cars. That's why we drive them in rotation. We do tend to drive some more than others though.

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

Quote from: 62 Max on March 20, 2009, 05:48:47 PM

27 yrs and 16,000mi,guess I've been lucky! :shruggy:If something were to happen,so be it.It's insured and I personally can't see having something i cant drive.If some want to drag their car around on a trailer,that's their choice and,they are at just as much risk and possibly more.Ever see someone lose a trailer? I have.

I had my superbird appraised and was fully insured.But at the time in the 80s there was no speciality muscle car insurance agencys where I lived .So I had to use are regular car and house insurer.Which was nationwide .But the other guy had no insurance and got a DUI for drinking.I got my car back and had to salvage it to recoup any money .I had 19K mile 440 6 pack superbird rear ended by a truck .I got the car back for salvage value $500.00.and had to part it out to get money buy another car .Ted Janak bought most of this car to cast his parts from

So after all that was done I landed a clone daytonaa .That got sold to buy a real daytona I found near home

hotrod98

Charles Addams

62 Max

Quote/.

You guys are not driving these cars as much as I'm talking about. 16,000 miles in 27 years isn't exactly driving a car. That's 1.5 miles a day. Quote/.

That's a rediculous statement but,every day I drive it 1.5mi !

hotrod98

You guys all act like you drive your cars all of the time. You don't and can't admit that. The poor thing stays in the garage most of it's life. It's pampered. It's little more than a trailer queen, only without the trailer.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

62 Max

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 20, 2009, 07:39:11 PM
You guys all act like you drive your cars all of the time. You don't and can't admit that. The poor thing stays in the garage most of it's life. It's pampered. It's little more than a trailer queen, only without the trailer.  :icon_smile_big:

Here's my garage!

hotrod98

I know where there's three birds sitting in a field down in south Arkansas like that.
Hey, that sort of looks like my back yard...only smaller.  :nana:

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

Wayne Johnson still have his superbirds

hotrod98

Yep, and at the price he's asking, he may have them for a long time.  :yesnod:
Nice guy though. I always enjoy talking to him. He's been trying to get me to trade one of my 71 Cudas towards one of his birds.
I really want a bird but I don't want to pay top dollar and still have to do a total restoration on top of it all.
I'll keep looking and if I find the right bird at the right price, my 401K is going to be a little smaller.

Charles Addams

62 Max

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 20, 2009, 10:27:06 PM
I know where there's three birds sitting in a field down in south Arkansas like that.
Hey, that sort of looks like my back yard...only smaller.  :nana:

Actually,its a little bigger if you change direction!

tyly

Mr policeman like my car very much, when I was a sundaydriving few weeks ago, his first question was "what the f..k is this  :notworthy:  :patrol:

Plymouth Superbird 440 six-pack, 4-speed, 15000 miles
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE Hemi
Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 SRT HEMI

http://tyly.kuvat.fi/

moparstuart

Quote from: tyly on March 21, 2009, 07:08:33 AM
Mr policeman like my car very much, when I was a sundaydriving few weeks ago, his first question was "what the f..k is this  :notworthy:  :patrol:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: tyly on March 21, 2009, 07:08:33 AM

Great picture!  :cheers:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hotrod98

Cool....we.ve been getting some hard looks from the locals ourselves this past week.
I need to check the glove box to see if the paperwork is up to date.

Charles Addams