News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ebay and killer deals on superbirds

Started by petercharger, March 16, 2009, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharger

what a time to be buying a superbird..wow..unreal.... :drool5: :yesnod:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

1970Moparmann

Quote from: petercharger on March 16, 2009, 10:28:12 PM

Your right!  Seems like prices dropped about $30k within the last few months.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mopar_nut_440_6

Awesome deals. hard to believe. If I was not doing my Charger I would consider picking one up!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

FJ5WING

I thought it was just me.....I was checking out Ebay tonight and thought to myself why are these cars so much less?

I expected to see each one being a clone or non numbers but that wasnt the case.
wingless now, but still around.

1970Moparmann

The 6 barrel car is not mint by any means, but someone could put $10k into it, and it'll pay off.  The one that needs a total restore is a little pricey! :shruggy:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

62 Max

Quote from: petercharger on March 16, 2009, 10:28:12 PM

Prices are getting back to reality.All the High Rollers spent their money,now the Peons can participate.
I have a friend that has a real nice 70 Hemi Cuda,can't get $135K.

Random-Hero-

One thing I never liked about Ebay, is it may have connect all the enthusiasts together to share parts and things like that, but it also gave easy entrance for people with bottomless pockets to come in and snatch up all our precious cars. These cars were built for the average joe! An average joe should be able to afford one!
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega-Cab Laramie
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure
1970 Dodge Charger - current project
1968 Dodge Charger - stored, future project

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Aero426

Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 17, 2009, 05:45:52 PM
One thing I never liked about Ebay, is it may have connect all the enthusiasts together to share parts and things like that, but it also gave easy entrance for people with bottomless pockets to come in and snatch up all our precious cars. These cars were built for the average joe! An average joe should be able to afford one!

Daytonas and Superbirds have never been what you would call "cheap".   It is all relative.  In 1978, a nice Superbird could sell for $5000.  Trouble was, a nice Road Runner was $2500.   And I was making $3.75 an hour.   So for some buyers, even then, it was a real stretch to get there.   In 1986, can you imagine turning down a very nice Hemi Superbird for $16,000?    Been there, done that.   At the time, it was a ton of money.   

The internet in general has connected us, and made it easier for potential buyers to find cars and parts.   In the really high end car market,  a lot of cars still sell on word of mouth just like the old days.   

In life, you might be doing very well financially, but there usually will be someone with more money available than you, no matter who you are.   Just the way it goes.    I guess my point is, no matter the era, you always needed to save your nickels and dimes to get into a wing car.    

Random-Hero-

I was not suggesting those cars weren't valuable, I was suggesting that their price was blown out of proportion as of late because of people with bottomless pockets. Making them absolutely unreachable by people of average incomes.
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega-Cab Laramie
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure
1970 Dodge Charger - current project
1968 Dodge Charger - stored, future project

69_500

I would agree somewhat with the statement about them being blown out of proportion as of late, excluding the current time. If you were to ask me that same question 1-3 years ago I'd agree almost entirely. Although even in those crazy priced times there were still some deals to be had, you just had to be at the right place at the right time.

I don't make an income that is above average by any means, but yet we still found a way to manage to come up with the money for a C500. I remember back when my dad was buying these cars, and they weren't exactly cheap then. Yeah in todays $$$ they seem cheap, considering he was paying $3,500-6,000 for Daytona's and HEMI 500's. But in comparison the house they were living in was a $30K house and he was making in the low $30K's a year. Same house they used to have sold 5 years ago for $158K and was in dire need of a remodel as it hadn't had much done to it since my parents sold it in 1985. I guess its all about priorities. I still intend on owning a Daytona within the next 5 years, and hopefully another C500 as well.

As my dad and mom always said. Where there is a will there is a way. If you want it bad enough, and actually work towards that as a goal it is still within reach for just about anyone.

Big Bird

no question that it's a buyers market right now, but hold on, the cycle will come back. It may take 3-5 years but the Aero Cars will be back to 6 digit numbers. Hemi's & Daytona's will lead the way, Superbirds close behind. Now is the time for a Wing Car enthusiate to make his move, enjoying the hobby while building equity.
BIG - BIRD :)

Aero426

Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 17, 2009, 06:46:14 PM
I was not suggesting those cars weren't valuable, I was suggesting that their price was blown out of proportion as of late because of people with bottomless pockets. Making them absolutely unreachable by people of average incomes.

At the time, those seemingly low prices actually were considered valuable and not necessarily easy to put the money together.  My dad bought and sold about ten wing cars between 1977 and 1986.  He sold his last trading piece Bird in 1987 for $7500.    By 1989-90 those cars had nearly tripled in value and that driver he sold was now a $20,000 car.    He was effectively priced out of the market just based on the timing and how the supply and demand of the market reacted.    We had no Ebay then, but percentage wise, it was the same type of big rise in prices we experienced in the last five or so years. 

Right now, if you have the ability to do so, it's a great time to buy because just about any leisure time big ticket item is down.

Moparheaven

"The majority of people get it wrong on the ends" is what a brilliant Stock trader that is worth Millions told me a couple of years ago. "If you can follow the trend in the middle, that is where the money is" he also said. He also said "Fear is faster than greed". Which means that things fall faster than they should sometimes, also known as "Desperation". I think that we are seeing is desperation in the winged car market. I think that we are all going to look back as Doug said about the 16k Hemi Bird, and say "I could have purchased a Superbird for under $90K. Let's face it. They ain't makin no more of em. If you want one, you better jump in. These cars were never meant for the average guy to own one. Average guys own Camaro's and Mustangs, "No Offense". (have owned my share of them). I didn't work all of these years to finally get a Mustang. Owning a wing car means something to me. The History, the mistique, the accomplishment, at least for me. All I can speak for is myself. But being a MOPAR Freak......owning a piece of history in a wing car is what I Dreamed for, and I don't think that I am the only one. If I am........The sky is blue and wonderful in my world, and I never want to wake up.
Z

62 Max

The bird in my avatar was bought in 1982 for the total sum of $4200.Took three days to make the decision to buy.Just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money for a car.Thanks to wife that understood,still with mixed emotions I bought it. I don,t have $10,000 total in the car including purchase price only because I did everything myself except paint and what little body work that it required.The car was apart for 8yrs.Could I afford one now,yes but it took a long time to get to this point in my life.Would I spend the money for one,no.As you get older things change,cars can become secondary to things that are more meaningfull.I enjoy the bird  and a few others I have but want/need no more.The 62 Savoy wagon I have just about finished has been in the works since 1997.Way too long.As you get older,you will understand.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 62 Max on March 18, 2009, 07:42:17 AM
The bird in my avatar was bought in 1982 for the total sum of $4200.Took three days to make the decision to buy.Just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money for a car.Thanks to wife that understood,still with mixed emotions I bought it. I don,t have $10,000 total in the car including purchase price only because I did everything myself except paint and what little body work that it required.The car was apart for 8yrs.Could I afford one now,yes but it took a long time to get to this point in my life.Would I spend the money for one,no.As you get older things change,cars can become secondary to things that are more meaningfull.I enjoy the bird  and a few others I have but want/need no more.The 62 Savoy wagon I have just about finished has been in the works since 1997.Way too long.As you get older,you will understand.

Priorities sure do change.  I went from buying my car when we were a two income, no kids family.  Now we are a single income, 3 kids family and the cars sits in the garage and i havent really touched it in the last 5 years.  My two year plan is turning into 5 or more likely a 10 year plan. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

70daytonaclone

lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. these cars where mad for a reason, so the factory could race them. they are not race cars just cheap imitation copies. (therefore these are nothing but a factory clone of a race car) as far as a part of race history that is it. I would not pay more that 10 grand for one. thats why I don't have one. just like haveing a crate hemi. they are very great cars, but I have to sweat and get dirty for my  hard earned money,so my $ have a greater buying power(value to me)! just my 2 cents.

nitrometal

If you guys could have been there at the media center at Atlanta Motor Speedway when I gave my acceptance speech for winning the Petty Replica you would have heard my story...

"These unique cars came to the dealership two years before I was a licensed driver.  My friends and I purposely stayed on the school bus past our stop on the way home so that we could get dropped off by the local Chrysler dealer and drool over the most incredible cars we had ever seen.  I can't believe that I just won the car of my dreams but to have it look like my favorite race car of all time is just icing on the cake".  I have it on DVD, maybe I should bring it to the Talladega meet and we can make fun of it.  Boy, was I nervous!!!

A few years later with a minimum wage job there was no way I could afford one, even when they were practically giving them away!  I remember, in the mid '80's, coming real close to buying a shell of a Superbird that had been stripped for drag racing. I could barely afford the car then but when you threw in all the restoration costs I just couldn't bring myself to shelling out that much money, no matter how much I wanted one.

Over the years, as my income increased, so did the value of these cars.  Even today I don't think that I could ever plunk down the coin to buy one and not feel guilty about it (unless I won the lottery, then I would have one in every color!).

I just happened to luck out and have my dream come through the easy way!  Man oh man, when I think about it, I was one lucky S.O.B.!!!
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 70daytonaclone on March 18, 2009, 08:44:25 AM
these cars where mad for a reason, so the factory could race them. they are not race cars just cheap imitation copies. (therefore these are nothing but a factory clone of a race car) as far as a part of race history that is it.

Are you kidding me?

62 Max

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 18, 2009, 09:24:01 AM
these cars where mad for a reason, so the factory could race them. they are not race cars just cheap imitation copies. (therefore these are nothing but a factory clone of a race car) as far as a part of race history that is it.

Are you kidding me?

I think he has the statement backwards as far as cloning.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 62 Max on March 18, 2009, 09:30:52 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 18, 2009, 09:24:01 AM

Are you kidding me?

I think he has the statement backwards as far as cloning.

I 100% Agree

nascarxx29

Quote from: mopar-heaven on March 17, 2009, 09:59:28 PM
"The majority of people get it wrong on the ends" is what a brilliant Stock trader that is worth Millions told me a couple of years ago. "If you can follow the trend in the middle, that is where the money is" he also said. He also said "Fear is faster than greed". Which means that things fall faster than they should sometimes, also known as "Desperation". I think that we are seeing is desperation in the winged car market. I think that we are all going to look back as Doug said about the 16k Hemi Bird, and say "I could have purchased a Superbird for under $90K. Let's face it. They ain't makin no more of em. If you want one, you better jump in. These cars were never meant for the average guy to own one. Average guys own Camaro's and Mustangs, "No Offense". (have owned my share of them). I didn't work all of these years to finally get a Mustang. Owning a wing car means something to me. The History, the mistique, the accomplishment, at least for me. All I can speak for is myself. But being a MOPAR Freak......owning a piece of history in a wing car is what I Dreamed for, and I don't think that I am the only one. If I am........The sky is blue and wonderful in my world, and I never want to wake up.

Mopar Heaven dont you still own this Jim Foster 69 daytona

mopar-heaven

Re: Street driven daytonas owned by nascar drivers whereabouts?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 01:13:43 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just saw this thread, My car is 355107, showing that it was earmarked for Jim Foster. I just got my car two weeks ago.  Here are some pictures that I just downloaded from the trip. I don't have a nose, but I do have a wing. Someone made this one a 500 for a period of time. I purchased it from a friend that has had the car for 30 years in storage.

Z
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33772.msg455997.html#msg455997       
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Big Bird

clones.................. cheap imitations ..............????????????????   Come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIG - BIRD :)

BigBlockSam

Quoteclones.................. cheap imitations ..............HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?   Come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think owning an original car has gone to your head. that statement says a lot about you  . of coarse an original car is worth more .that's because of it's history and it's a factory wing car .

but there is nothing cheap about some of the clones being built on this board .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

I don't think the use of the term clone was being questioned, except as it was being applied to the '69 A11 and '70 A13 street versions.  That's where I disagree with what 70daytonaclone had said in relation to the original cars being mere clones of the oval track versions.  These were legit cars with the paperwork to prove their connection to the factory.  It's a matter of semantics to some degree, but the term clone isn't applicable to a factory-built car period.

Rene, you're 100% correct that some of the clones being produced today are awesome cars, not cheap at all to build, and some of them look way better than many original aero cars.  Quite a few of them probably drive a whole lot better too, with suspension and engine updates that many owners don't feel comfortable making on their original cars.

Historical connections and a factory pedigree may make a car more valuable when it's sold, but an aero clone isn't less of a car simply because of a VIN.

This forum shouldn't be segregated into the "haves" versus the "have nots".  It's intended to be a place where we can learn more about the cars' history, and share how-to information about your own aero car (clone/project or original).

:Twocents: