News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

jaak's 73 Rallye update..... 9/10/09

Started by jaak, May 08, 2009, 11:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

As you guys know I picked up a sweet 73 Rallye last week for a driver. Well I have been a busy bee the last 3 evenings (and all day today, took off work) Installing new interior. I began by taking the dash apart, sanded and painted the steering column then the dash frame, and various parts. Then I ordered a dash cap and installed it. I also installed a couple of Autometer gauges, I still have a few bugs to work out (I think my fuel sender is bad). While the cluster was out I cleaned it up real good and used a silver paint pen on all the dash accents (I know it isn't chrome, but looks pretty good for a driver). Next was the headliner, this was my first attempt (I used the mopar muscle article as a guide) I am pretty happy with it, being my first try, it does still have some wrinkles, but the article says a few days out in the sun and it'll work out. After that I installed the carpet...it went well but ALOT of trimming. I had a utility knife, but it sucked, razor blade and sissors worked better than anything, just took along time and my fingers are sore, lol. Then finally wrapped it all up by installing trim, kick panels, seats, and door panels. Well any ways a couple of days hardwork and I am thrilled with the results.....here are some pics..before, during and after.

Later,
Jason

jaak

more...

jaak

more..

jaak

more...

jaak

more...

69bronzeT5

Wow Jason, the interior looks GREAT!!! :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

devilgear

Looks great...How did you get the door panels that were wood grain white? Did you just paint them or did you make a new part for it?

jaak

more...

jaak

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on May 08, 2009, 11:54:21 PM
Wow Jason, the interior looks GREAT!!! :drool5:

Thanks Cody.

Quote from: devilgear on May 08, 2009, 11:56:06 PM
Looks great...How did you get the door panels that were wood grain white? Did you just paint them or did you make a new part for it?

The Door panels were re-covered and came with the car, The guy that did them just covered everything in vinyl ( I guess he just covered over the wood-grain part.

Jason

devilgear

Nacho-RT74

everything great but CAN I SUGGEST get tyhe headliner more stretched to the sides ? that will give you a headliners without wrinkles ;)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NYRaider

Where did you get that dash cap? I'm investigating buying one.
Thanks

jaak

Foreman72

jaak that interior looks awesome...can't wait to chip away @ mine...good luck keeping it clean :D

what did you end up doing with all the old interior parts? where they too bad to resell and pick up some extra $$
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

69*F5*SE

Wow man, you're really doing a number on that baby aren't you.  She's looking great.   :yesnod:

jaak

Quote from: Foreman72 on May 09, 2009, 07:55:50 AM
jaak that interior looks awesome...can't wait to chip away @ mine...good luck keeping it clean :D

what did you end up doing with all the old interior parts? where they too bad to resell and pick up some extra $$

Those are the old interior parts. They guy I bought the car from had taken the interior to an upholstery shop, had the seats and door panels recovered, and had all the plastic trim dyed. It was done, but he couldn't pick it up yet, due to cash flow. When I bought the car, I went to the upholstery shop, and paid that dude what he was owed and picked up all the interior, I put it in myself because 1.The place was about 120 miles from my house and 2. It saved me some $$$$.

Later

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 09, 2009, 08:34:14 AM
Wow man, you're really doing a number on that baby aren't you.  She's looking great.   :yesnod:

Thanks man.

Charger-73

Quote from: jaak on May 09, 2009, 07:33:21 AM
Quote from: NYRaider on May 09, 2009, 07:23:17 AM
Where did you get that dash cap? I'm investigating buying one.
Thanks

Got it here... http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Cover/Dodge/Charger

Jason

Hello,

How big is the dash pad package? Just thinking how much it will cost to ship it outside USA.

Keep up the good work!

Pekka

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

mopar73

cool ride :2thumbs: I only wish mine came with the 4 speed to begin with :icon_smile_cool:

royt440

What a difference :2thumbs:

Thanks for the pics.  That kind of progress gives us all a little more inspiration.

I really liked that apparatus to put pressure on the dash pad :smilielol:

jaak

Quote from: royt440 on May 10, 2009, 12:15:54 AM
What a difference :2thumbs:

Thanks for the pics.  That kind of progress gives us all a little more inspiration.

I really liked that apparatus to put pressure on the dash pad :smilielol:

Thanks alot! about the dash, that apparatus also comes in handy when you gotta "take the browns to the super bowl"!  :smilielol:

Later,
Jason

Silver R/T

Nice Charger, doing good on project
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

73 charger

1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials

jaak

After having the '73 for a few weeks, the clutch got hard to push in, then got to where it wouldn't shift into any gear. So I had to tear into it to find the problem. Come to find out the clutch disc broke causing a spring to pop out.  I also noticed the driver side motor mount  bracket was missing 2 of its 3 bolts. There is a reason I haven't posted any engine shots of the '73 yet, basically because it looked like shit.... Green paint on engine, black spray bombed compartment, and just real dirty. So I made the decision, to go ahead  and pull the engine, do some cleaning/painting, and fix the clutch. This car is a driver so I wanted to make everything look a little more presentable, and try to stay on a budget. I know this isn't a restoration, but want to make it look better.

Of course you find other problems along the way, found I had a cracked bell housing, so I had to get it welded. My transmission leaked gear oil everywhere, so I bought a seal/gasket set for it.... While breaking it down I found the interlock lever for 3-4 was broke. While cleaning the engine I also replaced leaking valve cover, and oil pan gaskets.

Here are some pics and descriptions.........

Here is the engine and compartment before....like I said, black spray bombed, with a lime green engine... Yuck!

Here is the culprit to all my problems....

Also found my bell housing had a crack in it.

I wound up disassembling the trans for an inspection and replace all gaskets and seals (leaked gear oil everywhere) I found that the 1-2 interlock lever on the backside of the side cover was broke. I had to place and order with Brewer's Performance to get a new one.

Here's a before/ after of the engine paint. I tried something new with this, it was late on a Saturday evening , paint stores closed....I stopped by Tractor Supply and bought a quart of tractor enamel and a half pint of hardener. 9.99 for the paint and 12.99 for the hardener (which is enough to harden 4 quarts). I thought it turned out great. I figured if it was durable enough for tractors and implements should be durable enough for and engine.

Heres a pic of the engine compartment with everything removed, getting ready for paint. And here is a pic of my header, Hi temp exhaust paint is expensive...Someone on the net recommended Krylon's BBQ and Stove paint (up to 1200*) so I thought I would give it a shot...plus its cheap....less than 5 bucks a can!

Here's a pic of the engine bay after I shot it. I used a pre-packaged single stage urethane. I will admit, I should have put more time in the prep work...but it looks a thousand times better than the spraybomb black.

Engine Bay with wiring and parts re-installed.

Engine Re-installed!!!!!

Bellhousing welded

Bellhousing painted

Flywheel resurfaced

Everything Installed and put back together....time for a test drive!!

Before and After Pic.....

Like I said, Its no top quality restoration... but looks a hell of alot better with alittle time and a little money.
I still need to paint the underside of the hood, and the braces that run from the firewall to the fenders, then installed them (will post pics when I do it).

Jason

mopar73

Cleaned up really nice :2thumbs:  You have been a busy man lately