News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM Laying off 30,000 Employees

Started by Lowprofile, November 22, 2005, 02:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

I was watching FOX News and heard this. Thats quite a hit. They said they're going to close plants in OK, TN, MI, and Canada. I wonder if those are all Truck/SUV Plants?? I understand Ford is taking a beating this year? Anyone know how DCX is doing?
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

ChargerBill

This can only have a bad ripple effect throughout the whole economy...no one is immune. :'(
Life is a highway...

Wakko

That's what America gets for buying imports and that's what American car companies get for building crappy cars for so long people won't come back to them.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

TeeWJay426

Quote from: Lowprofile on November 22, 2005, 02:43:29 AM
I was watching FOX News and heard this. Thats quite a hit. They said they're going to close plants in OK, TN, MI, and Canada. I wonder if those are all Truck/SUV Plants?? I understand Ford is taking a beating this year? Anyone know how DCX is doing?

From the CNN article on the closings:

"Among the vehicles made at the assembly plants being closed are the Chevrolet Impala and its twins, the Saturn Ion, its minivans, the SSR sport pickup and some mid-sized SUVs. The company will have a North American capacity of about 4.2 million vehicles a year at its own plants, down from about 5 million. "

Doesn't seem the big gashogs are the primary targets.

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

twilt

There was a identical post on Moparts yesterday. It was a real good (and informative)  read until the heavy fisted mods over there locked it.

NHCharger

Another classic example or piss poor management. Instead of looking to the future and building better and more fuel efficient cars we are offered rebates, employee pricing, red tag sales, free gas,  President's week sales, blah, blah, blah.
The UAW has to take some blame for this. I read somewhere that it costs the Big 3 $4,200.00 per car to cover health care and retirement costs for the auto workers.

Twilt, I read some of that moparts post too. There was one ass (auto worker) being a complete dick head towards to other members and knew the the lock down was coming.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger71

I have heard that one shift at the GM Moraine, Ohio plant will be cut as well. They build SUV's.

I imagine there could be alot of finger pointing, but it still sucks that people are going to lose their jobs.. :(

Good Luck, y'all...

Charger71

Troy

The basic problem is supply and demand - they make more cars than they sell. Ford is in the same boat and is expected to make a similar announcement within the next couple of weeks.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

well it's bleak to be sure...
GM has made so many missteps over the years it's finally caught them... let's see, the corvair,.. (or was that the nader spook debacle?  :eyes:)
the Wankle engine that wasn't,..  and led to the impossible to service monza and it's clones incl. the AMC pacer (which was due to get the wankel too) the flexi. Alum. block in the Vega... The Citation etc.. the oil burning V-8s,.. the 4-6-8 crappyola.. the mid engined vette due in in '71... the Fiero,.. the Reatta,.. the Cimmeron and the Allante.. the moribound Saturn line.. the purchase of Saab...
dont forget there used to be only the big three and now there are over 50 makes to choose from...
no one has to buy a new car now anyway since they been practically giving them away for three years..

ChargerBill

Retirement is a HUGE part of the problem. The guys who have retired with 80% or better benefits are literally sucking their former employers dry. I read in Forbes a while back that current employees are being offered fractional benefits (30% retirement, partial medical, limited vacations, etc...) at companies like GM, Grocers Unions, PG&E, etc... because these companies are strapped with the rising medical expenses of their former (now retired) employees, paying them a inflationary increase on their already BLOATED 80% retirement packages, etc... They were so generous years ago that it has come around to bite them (and you and me) in the @r$e. Another sad side effect of offering piss poor benefits packages and fractional retirement to current employees is that these companies do not have the labor pool they once did. They don't have potential employees lining up...in fact, some of them have a HUGE turnover in labor. Raleys/Bel Air is a good example...they can't keep employees long enough to even advance them throgh the ranks. Sadly, the saying "You reap what you sew" is all too true. And what really sucks about the situation is that the current generation of laborers in the work force will NEVER have it as good as the 50+ employees do (did)..never. They own houses for a very good reason, they have medical benefits for a very good reason, they drive nice cars and play golf every week for a very good reason....because the rest of the current labor force is taking it in the shorts and literally paying for their retirement, and yet will get very limited retirement and medical benefits themselves. And NO, thiw is not a social security problem, this is a problem resulting from corporations promising more than they can deliver years ago so they could keep their labor force happy...yes, this IS a problem created in large part by labor unions...period!
Life is a highway...

Telvis

Orange_Crush

Firing people is never fun.

I had a bad situation where I had to fire one of two people since it turned out we only needed one person in the department.  The problem was, Mary was a woman and Jack was a Black man.  Either way, it was gonna have to be handled delicately.

I figured the best way to do it was to fire the first one that left his/her desk.  I waited for three hours until I finally saw Mary reach into her desk drawer and take out a bottle of aspiring and get out of her chair so I got my courage up and met her halfway to the watercooler and just told her "Mary, I hate to do this, but I'm either gonna have to lay you or Jack off."

She said "Well, why don't you jack off 'cause I have a killer headache."
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

ChargerBill

Life is a highway...

derailed

Quote from: Wakko on November 22, 2005, 03:17:59 AM
That's what America gets for buying imports and that's what American car companies get for building crappy cars for so long people won't come back to them.
Wakko, I buy "imports" Toyotas for the main reason that they are great cars and built in the USA with USA made parts.

twilt

I like American made vehicles. For this Master Tech,  they are job security. :icon_smile:

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Orange_Crush on November 22, 2005, 03:51:33 PM

I had a bad situation where I had to fire one of two people since it turned out we only needed one person in the department.   The problem was, Mary was a woman and Jack was a Black man.   Either way, it was gonna have to be handled delicately.

I figured the best way to do it was to fire the first one that left his/her desk.   I waited for three hours until I finally saw Mary reach into her desk drawer and take out a bottle of aspiring and get out of her chair so I got my courage up and met her halfway to the watercooler and just told her "Mary, I hate to do this, but I'm either gonna have to lay you or Jack off."

Where you drinking at this point? :D
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Brock Samson

I had a bad situation where I had to fire one of two people since it turned out we only needed one person in the department.   The problem was, Mary was a woman and Jack was a Black man.   Either way, it was gonna have to be handled delicately.

I figured the best way to do it was to fire the first one that left his/her desk.   I waited for three hours until I finally saw Mary reach into her desk drawer and take out a bottle of aspiring and get out of her chair so I got my courage up and met her halfway to the watercooler and just told her "Mary, I hate to do this, but I'm either gonna have to lay you or Jack off."

WHA,.. WHA,...   WHA.. Wha....       :eyes:

BigBlackDodge

Silver R/T

I guess they pay them with Cavaliers ha ha
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

2Gunz

Similiar things are happening in Buffalo, NY, which is like 45 mins from where I grew up.

Buffalo used to be a huge steal town which capsized under them years ago.

Lately they have been building car parts and getting by, but once again that is folding up shop and leaving town.

Buffalo is turning into a broken, empty ghost town. With boarded up home after home. Abanded buildings and even

14+ story buildings left to die.  Its a sad sight to see. 

In New york state between workmans comp, high union labor wages, and insurance it just doesnt make sense to stay.

And being proven time and time again, it just doesnt pay to make anything in the good ole USA.

We need to wake up or drown in our own self worth. The few rich get richer and work goes overseas to feed the greed.

Soon we will all be asking "want fries with that?"

2Gunz

Ponch ®

Quote from: drailed on November 22, 2005, 06:36:22 PM

Wakko, I buy "imports" Toyotas for the main reason that they are great cars and built in the USA with USA made parts.

thats a good point. For all the talk about how imports hurt the american worker, id like to see some numbers as to how many Toyotas and Hondas are built in the USA vs. how many GM's, Fords and DCX's are built here. I know my Monte Carlo was built in Canada...yep..definetly American.  ::)

Arent most Dodge trucks and the Magnum/Chargers built in Mexico?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

I don't get it. Why did she tell you to jack off?

Spartan

I know Oklahoma City and Moraine build the Envoy & Trailblazer.  Oshawa does the Impala.  I figured the SSR was going down because sales have been crap. I have put some type of equipment in those plants over the last 6 years.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Orange_Crush

Quote from: bull on November 23, 2005, 05:13:56 AM

I don't get it. Why did she tell you to jack off?

Allright...lemme set it up again.

I said "I'm either going to have to lay you..........or Jack off."

She said "Jack off because I have a headache."

So much for my lame attempt at levity :eyes:
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

doechsle

Hmmm. when's the last time you have heard about any large company closing any plants out of country. I think this is just another move at shifting labor out of country.