News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Charger resto mod Update 09-07-2013 NEW PICTURES ON THE GROUND

Started by speedfreak68, October 28, 2009, 12:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfreak68

Heres my car when I got it. I bought it from an antique car dealer...off the internet... I'm not going to do that again. He said that it had a solid frame under it which it definetly doesn't. But anywho I purchaced one of the frames from muscle up and am in the process of getting the frame up and under the car. I'm only working on it during the weekends when I go home so progress is slow. Most of this I am doing on my own but I have had some help from some of my college friends for the big stuff. My goal is to have it pushable so that I can get it on to the show field here at McPherson college for the car show. Anywho here are some pics hopefully they show up...I'm not real good at all this computer stuff...

Here it is when I first got it.

speedfreak68

I got it to my house and disassembled the whole thing. heres some more pics of what I found..
if you look close you can see the shackle coming up through the floor

that crossmember looks REAL solid

this was a dirty dirty trick to sell the car...

qwick68

Good Luck! keep the pics comming!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

speedfreak68

I then took the quarter panel off of the driver side... lucky for me since whoever replaced it just used poprivits to put the new one on  :slap: it was easy for me.

I then bought some of amd's wheel tubs and decided that they weren't wide enough. I cut the inner one and added a 3 inch wide strip all the way around it.

speedfreak68

The inner rocker panels were shot so I had a blacksmith in wilson break some up in his break for me. they definetly weren't factory but they will work.

I had put on the good mark rockers but i ended up using the AMD ones. They were really impressive!

Heres the last pic for a while... I have to go to finance class....  :eek2:
My dog and the car

Blown70

moparstuart

another amd poster child , saving another one
  nice job    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Troy

Love that ultra-rare "pop rivet body panel" option. Was that car originally yellow/white? I'm sure someone could use that '69 front clip.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

speedfreak68

Quote from: Troy on October 28, 2009, 02:08:12 PM
Love that ultra-rare "pop rivet body panel" option. Was that car originally yellow/white? I'm sure someone could use that '69 front clip.

Troy

The original color was like a metalic gold... then yellow.... then black, with copeous amounts of bondo in between. I'm pretty sure those fenders are completely shot...

aone415

Nice work... Big project  :o will you go with a 68 front clip or re-use the 69?

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

moparstuart

Quote from: speedfreak68 on October 28, 2009, 03:36:36 PM

Troy

The original color was like a metalic gold... then yellow.... then black, with copeous amounts of bondo in between. I'm pretty sure those fenders are completely shot...
if that 69 left fender is any good  I have a left 68 to trade you . My 500 has a 68 left fender and doors .

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on October 28, 2009, 03:52:39 PM

Troy

if that 69 left fender is any good  I have a left 68 to trade you . My 500 has a 68 left fender and doors .
Hey! I need that fender. I thought I told you already. Tried to get CB's but he hauled it back to Belgium. I have a few spare 69s (although they currently need some work). I need 68 doors (at least driver's side) and have a set of 69 doors too. For whatever reason I can only find 69 parts but I don't have any 69s.

Troy

Back N Black

Quote from: Troy on October 28, 2009, 04:57:28 PM

Troy

Hey! I need that fender. I thought I told you already. Tried to get CB's but he hauled it back to Belgium. I have a few spare 69s (although they currently need some work). I need 68 doors (at least driver's side) and have a set of 69 doors too. For whatever reason I can only find 69 parts but I don't have any 69s.

Troy

69 doors can easily be converted to 68...

1969chargerrtse

Nice work  :2thumbs:  Your pretty talented there Chief.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Troy

Quote from: Back N Black on October 28, 2009, 05:21:11 PM

Troy

Troy

69 doors can easily be converted to 68...
Yeah, I know - but the car I need them for needs to be as original as possible. Besides, swapping for the right parts is a whole lot easier than converting any sheet metal.

Troy

Charger440RDN

What's the big difference between a 68 & 69 door?

Troy

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 28, 2009, 06:18:06 PM
What's the big difference between a 68 & 69 door?
Lock knob location.

But any way, back to the original thread...

I see bits of the gold now. Console auto with A/C. Man those floors/cross members are wasted! The new rockers look nice though. I wish I could weld. I don't think you need to expand the wheel houses for a 315 though. It's probably not a bad idea because you can always fit something bigger (after paint) if you want.

Troy

tan top

got some project going on there !!  :coolgleamA:   nice work!! keep the pictures coming  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

speedfreak68

Quote from: aone415 on October 28, 2009, 03:44:03 PM
Nice work... Big project  :o will you go with a 68 front clip or re-use the 69?

I already bought front fenders from amd. I plan to do a 69 charger 500 grille but I would like to make it inset such as the 68's were. I just really like the looks of em. My fenders were pretty much completely gone they just poprivited metal over the rust and smeared bondo over that...

speedfreak68

QuoteLock knob location.

But any way, back to the original thread...

I see bits of the gold now. Console auto with A/C. Man those floors/cross members are wasted! The new rockers look nice though. I wish I could weld. I don't think you need to expand the wheel houses for a 315 though. It's probably not a bad idea because you can always fit something bigger (after paint) if you want.

Troy

I plan to run with a 335 but due to me already spending money before I can make it and also with having to pay back college loans starting next year I decided a 315 would be plenty big for now. By the way if you would want to sell a drivers door I would gladly take it off your hands. The only problem is that I live in kansas.

speedfreak68

Heres some pics of what I've found on my drivers side door when I stripped it... they were just filled with bondo...

I can't post any more pics of that door...its too depressing... anywho heres what the bare frame looks like, I primed it though,...its cheaper to buy them all bare metal and assemble it yourself.

Also heres a pic of the coilovers and rotor

Hemidog

moparstuart

Troy

Troy

if you have decent stuff to trade they are yours the 68 doors are power