News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aero Cars at the Brickyard 400, July 29-31 2011 - Registration Form Posted

Started by Aero426, June 06, 2011, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

The E-mail from IMS mentions the time for "participant track laps" on Saturday only.  I assume that means that there will none on race day.  I'm not complaining by any means, but I had told people to watch the race to see if we make it on TV.  I guess I'll make contact with them and change the TV chance to Saturday.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

rainbow4jd

Regarding Saturday vs Sunday - remember NASCAR runs the show.   

Several of their concerns, which could be the reason for Saturday are...  a) timing - getting cars on and off the track b) manpower of clearing lanes from the corral to the track, and c) fluid dumps - they want to keep the track clean.     

IF a NASCAR official can observe Saturday's parade laps (and how you find a NASCAR official on Saturday beats me) - but IF they see a really smooth, well organized Saturday parade lap - and a word of encouragement "we could do the same thing on Sunday" - you never know the outcome. 

As a result, you might want to consider the following... 

1) two people walk with each car to the actual track (from corral to track) to serve as "traffic clearers".  i.e. you help the track with the manpower.   (And if everyone is wearing a similar t-shirt - just a hint)

2) know the mechanical status of your vehicle and know it well.    It doesn't help our image to have a 2.5 mile lap of tranny fluid, coolant, or engine oil around the track.   IT"S ALSO a good reason to tell the event coordinator - the Bird's run best at 70mph or greater! 

PS  See if you can get two parade laps when you actually go on the track  i.e. "a lot of fans won't have their camera's ready the first time, and the fans will appreciate a second chance"

Steve Vance

RECHRGD

Quote from: rainbow4jd on July 25, 2011, 10:04:55 AM
Regarding Saturday vs Sunday - remember NASCAR runs the show.   

Several of their concerns, which could be the reason for Saturday are...  a) timing - getting cars on and off the track b) manpower of clearing lanes from the corral to the track, and c) fluid dumps - they want to keep the track clean.     

IF a NASCAR official can observe Saturday's parade laps (and how you find a NASCAR official on Saturday beats me) - but IF they see a really smooth, well organized Saturday parade lap - and a word of encouragement "we could do the same thing on Sunday" - you never know the outcome. 

As a result, you might want to consider the following... 

1) two people walk with each car to the actual track (from corral to track) to serve as "traffic clearers".  i.e. you help the track with the manpower.   (And if everyone is wearing a similar t-shirt - just a hint)

2) know the mechanical status of your vehicle and know it well.    It doesn't help our image to have a 2.5 mile lap of tranny fluid, coolant, or engine oil around the track.   IT"S ALSO a good reason to tell the event coordinator - the Bird's run best at 70mph or greater! 

PS  See if you can get two parade laps when you actually go on the track  i.e. "a lot of fans won't have their camera's ready the first time, and the fans will appreciate a second chance"

Steve Vance

Thanks! good info.....We'll be well behaved.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Aero426

Saturday will be the track lap for everyone.   I checked on the Sunday lap over the weekend.   For Sunday, the track wants 10 to 15 cars  with a preference towards the loud ones with racing numbers on the sides.   It is still a schedule permitting deal.  That is likely how it is going to work.    I would still suggest we do everything we can to make Saturday as smooth as possible.     

The Sunday race tickets have arrived.     They are nice seats ($85 ticket) in the turn 2 SE Vista.       I will distribute these and the parking passes at the Wingate.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on July 25, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
...with racing numbers on the sides. 

Time to bring the tuck tape to make my own number....... I call #71 !!!!  Unless, of course, Tim's there....  :rofl:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopurr

I am sorry but the V2 .....01 .......I find insulting.......and I have a R4 that is always mistaken for V2, because people don't know the difference

held1823

you can't take it in fun as it was intended? that's kind of sad. i guess we shouldn't be dissing on the general since we've already done so in this thread.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,79682.msg896028.html#msg896028
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on July 25, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
For Sunday, the track wants 10 to 15 cars  with a preference towards the loud ones with racing numbers on the sides.   

BOOYAKASHA

Mopurr

Quote from: held1823 on July 25, 2011, 01:37:12 PM
you can't take it in fun as it was intended? that's kind of sad. i guess we shouldn't be dissing on the general since we've already done so in this thread.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,79682.msg896028.html#msg896028

Boy, some of you men take everything so literal!!!!!

but seriouly......no 01 on my car......not gonna happen

held1823

after the recent firestorm that accompanied my clone statement, i was just adding the general lee joke to my list of offensive comments.

i'm glad to see you were just kidding, and look forward to seeing your 01-less RED car this weekend.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopurr

RECHRGD

Would you guys be OK with me glueing on some kind on wing on the '68?  Just trying to fit in.... :icon_smile_big:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

moparstuart

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 25, 2011, 04:03:03 PM
Would you guys be OK with me glueing on some kind on wing on the '68?  Just trying to fit in.... :icon_smile_big:  Bob
I have an extra aluminum wing laying around  , i'll bring it , you just get the drill out and start drilling   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RECHRGD

Quote from: moparstuart on July 25, 2011, 04:08:07 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on July 25, 2011, 04:03:03 PM
I have an extra aluminum wing laying around  , i'll bring it , you just get the drill out and start drilling   :icon_smile_big:

Cool!!  I have a Dewalt drill in the trunk.  I just have to charge the battery and then should be good to go.  Would a combination of sheet metal screws and super glue be sufficient?  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

held1823

it's been a little balmy here in the indy area. you could just lay some tar paper on top of the quarters and hot melt a wing in place. i wish that was as much an exaggeration as it sounds, but it has definitely been a blast furnace lately.

here's to hoping the miserably hot weather is gone by the end of the week.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

held1823

Quote from: 41husk on July 25, 2011, 04:56:04 PM
What is the weekend forecast for Indy?

http://www.wishtv.com/subindex/weather

i chose this station solely because their weather girl is rather easy on the eyes.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

41husk

Great!!! looks like they are calling for thunderstorms Thursday and friday :brickwall:  I hope that changes!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hitail

To anyone who is attending Indy,

If you hear of any planned TV coverage (Speed, ESPN) of the Aero cars during the weekend please post an update.

Thanks, have fun and I wish I could be there.

Hitail  :popcrn:

Aero426

I heard that the show got some press on local Indy TV today. 

Aero426

Most of this you have already seen this, but for the few whose emails I don't have or have bounced, here it is...

I have received the race tickets and passes from Katie Schultz at IMS and will begin distributing them at the Wingate hotel Thursday evening.    We will have the event T-shirts there too which are killer.   Please stop by and check in.   The address is 5797 Rockville Rd, Indianapolis 46241.      The Sunday race tickets are in the SE Vista which is turn 2. 

Route to the race track from the Wingate (about 4 miles).
Turn right on Rockville Rd and proceed east to Lynhurst.
Turn left on Lynhurst and go north to 10th St.
Turn right on 10th and proceed east to Tibbs Ave,
Turn left on Tibbs and proceed north to 16th St.
Turn left on 16th St and proceed west to the race track.
Tunnel entry to the track is on your right.
Once inside the tunnel, follow the road to the left and go around the left side of the museum.
Follow the road north 1/4 mile and the show field will be on your left. 

Friday we will be leaving for the track at 6:30 am.    If you are arriving in town AFTER we have left for the race track on Friday morning, I will have your envelope available at the front desk of the Wingate.   In the packet will be the infield parking pass for your show car and your event tickets.     If you plan to arrive after 8 AM on Friday, that is OK.   I have clarified with the track that cars will be arriving throughout the day.   The show runs til 4:00 so if you are arriving after 1 PM, I would consider going straight to your hotel.    We will be set up at the Wingate hospitality room in the evening.

Saturday we will be leaving for the track at 6:30 am.    All show cars must be placed on the show field by 8 AM.   This is not flexible, so please plan your schedule accordingly.      Please be back to your car by 3:45 PM to stage for the parade lap which will take place as soon as qualifying ends.  Should be at about 4:30, and it will be nice to do the lap with some people in the stands.   

Sunday we will leave for the track at 5:00 AM.     Show cars need to be placed by 6 AM which is when the gates open.  There will be a race car only parade lap at 9:45, pending NASCAR.   We will leave the show display intact until the green flag drops.   Once inbound race traffic subsides if you would like to leave before the end of the race, you can do so.   

As I have said before, this is a unique opportunity.     We are working for IMS this weekend to put on a good show for their crowd, and hopefully get invited back another time.   Katie Schultz is in charge of the show site and getting us situated.    These kind of events are relatively new for the track, so let's be patient and do what we can to make things as easy as possible.    Most of you have attended these events at Talladega repeatedly , and are old pros at this kind of stuff.     It's gonna be warm, so let's hope for some cloud cover.

As always, you can reach me on my cell at 414-687-2489.

See you in a few days,

Doug Schellinger   

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on July 25, 2011, 01:19:53 PM
for a v2 car, there is always number 01 to fall back on...

Only if I get the rebel flag on top of the roof............. Oh wait... This isn't Darlington or Talladega............. Never mind........ I'll watch from a distance...  Maybe next time I'll bring my Joe-Dirt C500......

Doug, I'm sure you've mentioned this before, but for those watching the race and displaying our cars, any loading will be done after the end of the race? If so, I take it we can just hang out until the traffic volume around the track is reduced... Last I thing I want is to be heading back to Danny's in a traffic jam....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Troy, assuming you do not want to stay for the finish, you can drive out shortly after the green flag drops.     If you do stay for the end, I would still try to get the car outside the oval or else plan to hang there for a while.