News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom 3rd gen tail panel....

Started by plum500, July 21, 2008, 02:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plum500

Never being one to shy away from moderate custom stuff... I am doing a custom tail panel for my '71. Initially out of necessity - as peanut brittle was less fragile than my passenger side bezel. I'll probably see if I can still get a bezel at some point, just to have -- but I've actually become attached to my custom job which is now becoming something more than just to get me on the road.

Center will be a billet aluminum gas door - powder coated satin black with a small black badge in the middle, with a chrome Mopar "m". Mopar written in red underneath.

What you see here is just the template I am taking to a shop to have the panel cut out of aluminum. Will be painting it black - sheen that will be slightly above the satin black that the car is going to be, but not quite as much as sem-gloss. Will also be giving the lense retainers a shot of flat black and probably use some nice shiny sheet metal screws to hold lights in place.

Panel will be brazed to brackets that will mount it in the bumper.

I welded up the extra bumperette and jack holes in the bumper to clean it up some.

Moving the plate to the rear valance with a "slightly" molded addition - all in satin black should end up very clean.

Anyhoo... here's some progress pics.....

Charger74

Let us know when you are done.   Curious as to what the finished product may look like. 

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

there is a custom Job already around similar ( not the same ) to that one... is a green car... was on Carlisle on FOR SALE area... I had seen that one before on web thought!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

plum500

Well, having intended to use only aluminum - I took my perfectly fitting template to a professional shop to have it cut out. Turns out, they couldn't/wouldn't simply trace and cut. All seemed OK dealing with them - long story short, they cut a test piece out of wood, I pointed out the problem, they said OK, I went back when the aluminum was cut - took it home, and they had not addressed the problem. They made the same mistake I made in the first place which caused me to seek a professional. The bottom line is not straight :rotz: So, it didn't fit - was out a 1/4 of an inch if I ignored the gap, and there was no way to reshape it to use it.

So, I returned to my thought of using plastic - much easier to work with - but not as strong, and how to attach? Well, I went to the plastic shop - of course, can't use my template, take too much time, etc etc. So, I bought a rectangle piece of 3/16" ABS and took it home.  I was able to shape it to match my template exactly. And, I figured in that process that I could still salvage the aluminum effort as well. I ground it down to reshape it, and use it as a back piece - strength, support, and better for mounting.

Also, the aluminum piece worked great as a template for cutting the holes.

Got the holes cut in the ABS (holy pain in the neck to deal with - stuff melts more than it cuts/drills) - but it shapes and files with ease. Really good for working the gas door on there.

Used some 3M spray adhesive to fix the 2 pieces together. And hit both sides with a scotch brite pad - aluminum just to clean the backside up, and the plastic to help the paint adhere.

Then drilled the rest of the mounting holes for the lights.

Here's some pics - not done yet - I will apply final paint to the panel and wire/assemble once the chrome trim rings I have ordered arrive.

plum500

Charger1973

Looks great, I really like your creativity!  The only thing that doesnt do it for me is the reverse lights but thats just a metter of opinion I guess...  Nice work.   :2thumbs:

plum500

Thanks! Yeah, I'm still looking for some lower profile reverse lights ... I found many, but they are all LED - I want bulbs, nothing modern. I don't think they will look as out of place once the 4 inchers have the chrome around them - the rings are about 1/2" thick or so. So height and chrome should detract from the reverse lights. Once on the car too - I think they will stand out even less, competing with the 3" tailpipes :D sticking out inches below.

Charger1973

What about 69 Charger reverse lights? 

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

miamivice

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 17, 2008, 07:46:32 PM

my thoughts exactly!  Mike from BEA makes some amazing reproduction ones :2thumbs:

plum500

Yikes - I am embarrassed to say that I overlooked the obvious on that one! A set of those would be perfect.  :cheers: miamivice, you don't happen to have a link to those do you?

FLG

Couldnt find the reverse lights on the catalog, might want to give them a call (or maybe i missed em).

http://www.beaparts.com/default.asp

miamivice

Quote from: plum500 on August 18, 2008, 05:58:04 AM

Yikes - I am embarrassed to say that I overlooked the obvious on that one! A set of those would be perfect.  :cheers: miamivice, you don't happen to have a link to those do you?

I just got a set in the mail the other week.  Comes complete with the lens.  I have pictures at home, but here is picture Mike posted back when he first was workign on them:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38923.0.html

Moparbob

Any pics of this on the car? I like it!
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

jaak

I like it.... at a quick glance, reminds me of a 72-74 Barracuda tail panel.

Jason

Moparbob

Dont really like the back up lights.. might find some flush ones. Also in the center the original tag bracket would have to be installed.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.