News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: Dino on April 11, 2016, 08:20:28 PM
And here I thought I'd be the first one to have the seat belts mounted on the rear pad.   :icon_smile_big:

What can I say Dino? Great minds think alike. :lol:

Quote from: NYCMille on April 11, 2016, 08:44:23 PM
I'm just blown away by the workmanship that's gone into this car - amazing and inspiring.  :2thumbs:

Thanks NYCMille I have to say doing this project publicly like this has made me have to re think my normal slip shod ways.

Quote from: keepat on April 12, 2016, 05:47:50 PM
Steve,
AWESOME job on the headliner!!!
Pat

Thanks Pat. I was a nervous wreck hoping it would come out the way I wanted it to. Exhausting working overhead inside the car too.
Quote from: mike69440 on April 12, 2016, 08:07:57 PM
Quote from: Cha11engerD on April 11, 2016, 07:23:37 PM
So what's the plan for the interior? Are you going to do all the upholstery yourself as well?

Thank you,  You Plan ahead.
The best compliment I can give is that you built the car tastefully and stylishly, as well as strategically planning the effort, and executing the work with superb skill and detail.

I have been working on race cars for the last 20 years so I adopted the process we use where you do all the fabrication then disassemble it, do the paint work then reassemble it. It keeps  things from getting nicked up after the paint is done. Thank you for the compliment.

Quote from: cdr on April 14, 2016, 05:04:18 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT link=topic=101925.msg1535522#msg1535522 date=1460668453

I like your feet.  :callme:
/quote]

LOL  looks like Steve started wearing toe nail polish   :rofl:

Snazzy new sandals to boot. :yesnod:

Well the knick knacks seem to never end. I had to paint up a bunch of tech screws to secure the panels that fit on the underside of the nose to the fenders. People wonder why projects like this take so long when you have to fiddle with so much unseen little nonsense like this.  Also I had to paint the panels. I used some black SEM metal etch primer and SEM trim paint to cover these aluminum panels. I hope the rest of the car comes out as good as the mirrors. Pretty happy with them.

Stevearino

More tape and paper. This time to prevent overspray into the nose through the grill openings. I installed the headlight doors for the final time with some temporary props . The nose will go on for final paint then back off to install the headlight door  opener equipment. I applied some masking foam to the fenders before hanging the nose.

Stevearino

With the nose back on it was time to get the car back into the spray booth. I have about 5 different areas that I have to rework the body before I will be ready for color so basically a couple of weeks away at this point. But I am getting there.

Cha11engerD

Anyone else squealing like a fanboy at this point? :o :drool5:

Great work, Steve! Almost there! :2thumbs:

69_Charger_RT

Quote from: Cha11engerD on April 17, 2016, 05:25:43 PM
Anyone else squealing like a fanboy at this point? :o :drool5:

Great work, Steve! Almost there! :2thumbs:

Yea this build is simply amazing and I cannot wait to see it done  :popcrn:

RCCDrew

garner7555

You would think that we are involved in building the car as excited as we all are over this build.   :yesnod:   I am truly happy to see this build getting close to having paint on it!   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

cdr

Quote from: garner7555 on April 17, 2016, 07:44:55 PM
You would think that we are involved in building the car as excited as we all are over this build.   :yesnod:   I am truly happy to see this build getting close to having paint on it!   :2thumbs:

LOL    SO TRUE    :iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ACUDANUT

God forbid, but I hope this car gets a lot of Insurance !!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: cdr on April 17, 2016, 07:54:19 PM
Quote from: garner7555 on April 17, 2016, 07:44:55 PM

LOL    SO TRUE    :iagree:
:iagree: :iagree: It is getting so close, I am stoked!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Stevearino

Thanks again for the enthusiastic praise. It really helps to keep me on track with this build.

Well I  spent some time re-doing a few areas that needed some help in the body department. I re-primed and sanded those repairs then spent the better part of a day just re-taping and papering the beast. Finally I got some sealer on the car. Normally you would go wet to wet from sealer to paint but since this is going to be two tone I will have to let the sealer dry a couple of days then scuff it with 800 grit and proceed to mask off for the color.
ACUDANUT. I will definitely be paying for some insurance.

cdr

hey steve, have you checked the windshield chrome fit at the top of the a pillar, the corner looks very squared off.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Stevearino

Quote from: cdr on April 27, 2016, 07:33:03 PM
hey steve, have you checked the windshield chrome fit at the top of the a pillar, the corner looks very squared off.

Yes. If you will recall the windshield hole has been made smaller so I could eliminate the rubber gasket. The trim had to be cut to fit the new opening.
It is a little sharp there in the corner but since the trim will be blacked out I don't know if it will matter.

cdr

I forgott about that  :icon_smile_blackeye:       :2thumbs:   

dads_69

I've been following your build,wow is all I can say. And look's like your laying down base coat finally,awesome!
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

J.Bond

Best build thread ever,  :2thumbs:

Entertaining, inspirational and educational, cannot wait till you make the build into a made for TV movie. The thread's got more content than half of the stuff on the tube as it is.

Just discovered the build made editors page in Mopar Muscle

:cheers:

mike69440

Quote from: J.Bond on April 29, 2016, 07:53:40 AM
Best build thread ever,  :2thumbs:

Entertaining, inspirational and educational, cannot wait till you make the build into a made for TV movie. The thread's got more content than half of the stuff on the tube as it is.

Just discovered the build made editors page in Mopar Mu

:cheers:

Steve

Your car will be a media star. 

If Hollywood ever approaches, you should have one rule.  The car lives in the end. (Including the Stunt doubles.)

Stevearino

This is not a full update because I am too tired to do one but I thought that those of you who have suffered through this whole build should see the car as soon as it had some shine on it. Many thanks again for the over the top comments. Makes this process fun.

Cha11engerD

So close! Keep going, Steve! You're almost there! :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ws23rt

Hey Steve  I know what it must feel like to you at this point in this long term project.

I have one of my own that is ten years along now and the home stretch is close. (no comparison) Mine is 90% but that last 10% somehow seems like more.

I've been watching this thread with that in my mind and when you move forward it inspires me with my project.

:cheers: for helping motivate me and  :cheers: for what you have done to date.

garner7555

Wow, this makes me excited.   :yesnod:   Can't wait to see it assembled.  I wish my project was moving along this fast.   Keep up the good work.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

cdr

:o  :drool5:  :2thumbs:  :coolgleamA:   :bow:  :bow:  :patriot:  :2guns:  :wave:  :punkrocka:  :woohoo:  :buff:  :nixon:  :drive:  :paintingpink:  :notworthy: :boogie:

funknut

That color is looking amazing!

Can't wait to see it out in the sunshine!