News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Thats basically true of every single commodity on the planet and has been for a few millenia now.

G-man

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2015, 06:23:07 PM
Thats basically true of every single commodity on the planet and has been for a few millenia now.

If you can only get 30k on the car... then that is what it was worth to buy. Cause the guy selling its worth (30) is the car your buying for that same 30.

How can it be worth budgeting 50,000 to then sell for 30,000 after only 12 months? That is not even logical and definitely not related  to every single commodity.

MxRacer855

Quote from: Dino on November 09, 2014, 03:33:30 PM
What always surprises me is these people who can sink over 100 grand into a toy yet still cannot use proper grammar and punctuation.  What kind of job are they doing that does not require these very basic skills yet they get paid this much?   :lol:

Good luck to both sellers getting rid of those cars at their asking prices.

The girl and I always laugh about this one! it's absolutely incredible. Often times it will reach the point where the message cannot even be interpreted!

ws23rt

If a seller and buyer agree on 30K for a car-- that is the best test for the worth of the car.
Let's say some geek gathered a lot of data that showed this car was worth 20k to 50k. That would show the deal that was made to be right in line with a best guess for value.

So now we have a new owner and they chose to spend 20K on the car they just bought.  How they spent that 20K has a lot to do with increasing the value of the car. It could easly be squandered and not add much. Also the car may (by the geek data) be about topped out at 50k.

It is true that when a car is restored well and everything is presentable and a market search shows it to be at 50K any more spent on the car is money tossed.

I think most cases like this involve a fan of the charger that want's to have one to enjoy. Not to flip.  Those that are into this market to make money have a hard road.

I say to those that want to have a charger to enjoy jump in and spend what you can afford. Most likely your hours and dollars will not come back but that is not why you want it in the first place. :Twocents:

Ghoste

Quote from: G-man on January 27, 2015, 07:20:55 PM

If you can only get 30k on the car... then that is what it was worth to buy. Cause the guy selling its worth (30) is the car your buying for that same 30.

How can it be worth budgeting 50,000 to then sell for 30,000 after only 12 months? That is not even logical and definitely not related  to every single commodity.

Sure it is.  Every single item traded between human beings has always been a case of if you are selling you want maximum dollar and if you are buying you insist the item you are purchasing is worthless.  SHow me please the economic handbook which guarantees that just because you budgeted 50k that when you sell in 12 months the pool of potential purchasers are not going to feel its worth much less.  You may WANT to recoup your original purchase and you may ASSUME that it will retain what it was worth to you when you bought and you can even HOPE that it might increase in the value perception of others.  But to believe that these things are a given is what is illogical.
You

1974dodgecharger

G-man im in that boat.....I sunk over 50k into my charger and I cant show nothing for it to be honest body work, engine work, suspension, etc..all that stuff adds up.  You know how many little 90 dollar items I have bought.................. :rotz: 

What people don't understand as a buyer is that they  may think they can go out and get a 30k charger and drive it immediately, but in reality they are fooling themselves thinking they can drive someone's car and not worry about anything. 

Im not delusional as a seller, but this I can tell ya...at 30k my car is as a 'DRIVER' is a deal vs others out there that can drive their car 2 blocks without overheating, brakes failing, etc...in the same price. 

I know damn well I would never get my money I put into my car, but I know damn well I enjoy my charger (driven more) more than others out that that have a charger  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: G-man on January 27, 2015, 06:19:59 PM
I think Mopar people in general are delusional, not just Chargers.

My own experience... looking to buy a Charger "Yeah man, by the time you spend 10-15,000 on shipping, sort out few little bits and pieces etc etc" you need to budget $50,000 for a 'decent' condition Charger. Matching Number stuff, a lot more.

So, you spend your 45-50 to get a 'decent' charger since they are "soooooooo valuable" - even non R/T cars.

When you go to sell it "I'll offer you 25,000, il offer you 30,000"

I spent 50 on this? THat is what they are worth? "Nah man, I can get one myself for 33,000".

So when you are buying there worth gold, when you go to sell, there not worth a bag of you know what.

N im talking about Mopar people telling me to budget 50k and then Mopar people saying it aint worth more than 30 when they are buying. That makes me  :RantExplode:

If it aint worth more than 30k to sell, then it sure hell aint worth more than that to buy.

I have never experienced this kind of DELUSIONS with anything else except mopar people. Literally as retarded as it can get.

1974dodgecharger

Who budgets 50k then tries to sell at 12 months...to me that's a person trying to make a buck and saw too much BJs auctions.

ws23rt

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2015, 09:23:43 PM

How can it be worth budgeting 50,000 to then sell for 30,000 after only 12 months? That is not even logical and definitely not related  to every single commodity.

Sure it is.  Every single item traded between human beings has always been a case of if you are selling you want maximum dollar and if you are buying you insist the item you are purchasing is worthless.  SHow me please the economic handbook which guarantees that just because you budgeted 50k that when you sell in 12 months the pool of potential purchasers are not going to feel its worth much less.  You may WANT to recoup your original purchase and you may ASSUME that it will retain what it was worth to you when you bought and you can even HOPE that it might increase in the value perception of others.  But to believe that these things are a given is what is illogical.
You

This is clear and to the point. :2thumbs:

Mike DC

The only consistent reliable pattern for making money on (your own) cars is by mass-producing them on an assembly line.

Anything else is rolling the dice.  It's trying to beat the odds with every single car you buy. 

skip68

You make your money when you buy it.   To buy and sell for profit you must know a realistic price someone will pay for it.   Only do repairs/ upgrades that yield maximum return and again, you make your money WHEN you buy the car.  Knowing the real market is key and doing as much of the work yourself is usually required.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 27, 2015, 10:06:51 PM

Anything else is rolling the dice.  It's trying to beat the odds with every single car you buy. 

Well said.   :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1965gp

I can weigh in on this as I was not involved in the Charger part of the hobby until I found my car.

I bought my car from a local guy (who has become a friend afterwards) that buys and sells muscle cars (specifically mopars) to help support his hobby.

I looked at the car- we negotiated down $1000 and I had a 69 Charger that was relatively rust free, ran and drove, needed some brake work and interior for I think $16k. It was a presentable car that was red with a black bumble bee stripe, a few rusty areas, ugly wheels and bad tires.

It went straight to my friends shop for the GL treatment and rust repair. All rusty metal was cut out and replaced- it was really just the lower doors and fenders; rockers, floors and quarters had already been done. After body and paint I did the interior with legendary pieces.

Is the car perfect? Absolutely not. Is it a driver? Not really. I definitely won't ever park it in a parking lot and not be concerned about a door ding or a rock chip. I would call it a solid #2 car.

Now, what's it worth? It's a GL replica so that obviously plays a part. 50k? Probably not. 30k? Hope not. I would like to think $35-40k range. No plans of ever selling but it's good to know what the value is.

I think I have mentioned before that I think this site undervalues these cars. Remember- EVERYONE likes the 68-70 Charger. I have looked for one off and on for 20 years. In my opinion (outsider looking in) $10k gets you a project- nothing more. You will have to restore everything on the car and chase down parts. $20k gets you a driver or older resto showing wear that you will want to clean up. $30k starts getting you into the nicer cars but will not get you close to a concourse car.  $40k I think you get a damn nice car you can drive and be proud of. Anything north of that I think you get into the rarer / higher optioned restored cars.

This is just my opinion - I am pretty active on the GM side of collecting and Chargers just have a more passionate group of owners / enthusiasts which commands a price.

skip68

1965gp, your numbers are right on the money in my opinion.   

Kern Dog

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 27, 2015, 03:19:30 AM
sometimes I just want to email these sellers and tell them and show em my charger and say, 'If I cant sell my 68 for 10k what makes you think you can sell yours for 10k?

I have emailed sellers for years, telling them that their heads aren't screwed on right. I get hate mail back. Its funny.

G-man

Thanks for the replies.

I am not talking about spending extra on the car. I am saying when I was looking to buy a charger, people here in Australia that are Mopar people kept telling me how these cars are valuable, go up in price, the cars are rare, there parts are expensive, gotta budget at least 50,000 dollars to get a rust free driver. When reality is, 50,000 is a HUGE dollar for one of these.

People talk about Mopar's like they are worth 5x more than Ford's and Chevy's and yet when you go to sell one, you probably get more $$$ on a Ford than you do a Mopar. It is just unrealistic people in general.

But then again, I have known many retarded 50+ year olds that shouldn't even be in business because they are car thieves.

At least I can say when I bought Husk41's (Allen's) QQ1 blue, white top 383ci charger, it cost me about 38k total landed, on the road, ready to drive. When I sold that car, I got 38k back.

But see, Allen was never the guy to say "This car is worth Gold". That is actually 1 rare realistic Mopar guy that sold the car for what it really was worth and never talked about it as being worth 10x more.

Where is he? Is he still around?

Never should of sold that car :(

1974dodgecharger

huh good point on the FORD an CHEVY...they dump 24k in those things and guess what they will sell em for 24k!!!  Seriously those cars are so cheap to build.....

2592 creston

Quote from: Dino on November 09, 2014, 03:33:30 PM
What always surprises me is these people who can sink over 100 grand into a toy yet still cannot use proper grammar and punctuation.  What kind of job are they doing that does not require these very basic skills yet they get paid this much?   :lol:

Good luck to both sellers getting rid of those cars at their asking prices.

Mom and Dads money!

wingcar

The same basic rule still applies:  Something is only worth what another is willing to pay for it.  

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Challenger340

Quote from: G-man on January 28, 2015, 04:27:37 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I am not talking about spending extra on the car. I am saying when I was looking to buy a charger, people here in Australia that are Mopar people kept telling me how these cars are valuable, go up in price, the cars are rare, there parts are expensive, gotta budget at least 50,000 dollars to get a rust free driver. When reality is, 50,000 is a HUGE dollar for one of these.

People talk about Mopar's like they are worth 5x more than Ford's and Chevy's and yet when you go to sell one, you probably get more $$$ on a Ford than you do a Mopar. It is just unrealistic people in general.

But then again, I have known many retarded 50+ year olds that shouldn't even be in business because they are car thieves.

At least I can say when I bought Husk41's (Allen's) QQ1 blue, white top 383ci charger, it cost me about 38k total landed, on the road, ready to drive. When I sold that car, I got 38k back.

But see, Allen was never the guy to say "This car is worth Gold". That is actually 1 rare realistic Mopar guy that sold the car for what it really was worth and never talked about it as being worth 10x more.

Where is he? Is he still around?

Never should of sold that car :(

I don't think $50K is HUGE dollars to get a "rust-free" Driver ?
Let's examine that statement for a moment.
By "rust-free" Driver, do you mean all the rust has been "repaired" so the Car is now rust-free ?
or,
the Car never had any rust, and indeed is still "rust free" 45 years later ?

And "Driver" means exactly what ?
That the car is not concours perfect, has the odd paint chip, scratch, dirty undercarriage after 45 years ? as is to be expected from being driven ?

Price is inversely proportional to availability, just supply and demand.

Mine is a "rust free" Driver, and I could get $50K within 3 phonecalls(all standing offers).
Just depends on "what" that rust-free Driver is ?
Just NOT that many "rust-free" '69 R/T SE cars left..... that are NOT restored, NOT rebuilt, still original and running well, that are DRIVEN regularily.

For that matter....
try and find even a "383" car, still "rust free" and UN-restored, running well and driven regularily ?
When the "supply" left available..... cannot satisfy "demand".... so prices go UP.... plain & simple. And if that fact drags UP prices on lesser examples, that is the market !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

70 sublime

I think a lot of the time the price that gets put on a 68 69 70 Charger is a price the seller will take and not be too sad to see it go
No one is ever glad to sell a Charger and become Charger less  :rotz:
If it is a money needed thing for the seller he will keep coming down till it sells and it will sell sooner or later
For that kind of a deal you just have to be in the right place at the right time

The last Charger I sold was a 70 rot box and I did get all the dumb email replies to my ad that said I was crazy for asking what I was
In the end it did sell for what I was asking and I kept some of the parts that were initially offered in the price

You just have to look at each situation and figure out does he have to sell it , want to sell it or need to sell it to know if there is any flex in the price  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Patronus

Chit, for $50K you can have mine. Hell, I'll even put on a tie!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mike DC

How many times have you come across someone who has been "looking for a Charger" since about 1986, and says they "can't ever find one"?  

How many times have you come across a seller who has been sitting on a rotting Charger in public view since about 1986, and says they've "never had any real offers"?

Most  buyers & sellers who haven't made a deal after the first few months in the market are expecting too much.  Its the nature of the beast.  

1965gp

We noticed this when we were looking for a 1989 20th anniversary Turbo Trans Am. Cars routinely bid up to 12k, yet sellers refused to let them go for less than 18k (I know we are talking smaller dollars but same principle applies) - it resulted in the same cars being listed on eBay for years. Finally we found a higher mileage clean car and a guy that needed the $$.

I disagree on the fords- there are just too many available. Too many years that looked similar and too many 6 cyl cars that have had 5.0's dropped in them. Chargers just aren't that plentiful.

G-man

Challenger340 -

Rust free driver = Allens car I bought.

Engine worked fine, gearbox worked fine, car drove fine. Car had no rust in it. Allen may have repaired some of it through it's life, it did not look like a show car, but it was a reliable car. Came with full service history, could see who owned the car, who it sold to etc... car was basically in the family until Allen had bought it. I would not call the car fully restored/rebuilt. It was a 383ci QQ1 Blue (pictures linked at bottom). It was just an honest, clean car that was looked after throughout it's life.

He sold that to me for 19k US. By the time it arrives, paid, dollar converted, few bits and pieces fixed (like leaking windscreen, reverse light switch purchased) and few odds and ends, it cost 38k.

That was a fair price on a car like that. But even that car which was very nice, I had idiots offering 30k for it and saying it wasn't worth more.

Pictures found here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86613.0.html

Sigh....

WHY DID I SELL IT.

Gonna see if I can find the guy I sold it to and see if he wants to get rid of it.  :lol: